Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims and Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

They're not wrong.....dogs are dirty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Well certainly when I was growing up (I'm in my late 20's) my parents would never have allowed our pet dogs in the house.

Fair enough,my experiences are different,plenty of pet dogs and when I moved to the country(originally Dublin) my 1st girlfriends family were sheep farmers and the lambs were pets (well 1 lucky 1) and allowed in the house like dogs were:eek::eek::eek:.
    I was amazed to say the least but it became apparent that this was pretty common.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Doubtful...we have working dogs and pets...thats fake news as they they say.
    How old is this traditional you are talking about?

Fake news. Ah here.

Are you also going to start licking windows?

Leave that to the daft lot over the big pond.

Dogs are great, mostly. Not as sure when it comes to anyone who thinks it's wrong to have one as a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Well certainly when I was growing up (I'm in my late 20's) my parents would never have allowed our pet dogs in the house.

How were they pets then?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Leviticus is for the Tribe of Levi.
    The tribe of Levi is only where the Jewish priests could come from.
    It is why the book is called Leviticus, it is mostly about standards for priests.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Fake news. Ah here.

Are you also going to start licking windows?

Leave that to the daft lot over the big pond.

Dogs are great, mostly. Not as sure when it comes to anyone who thinks it's wrong to have one as a pet.

Why have you replied to me that way?

Why would I be licking windows?

Ive no problem with dogs,I have 2 PET!!!! dogs,Im all for dogs...mans best friend in all that

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Fair enough,my experiences are different,plenty of pet dogs and when I moved to the country(originally Dublin) my 1st girlfriends family were sheep farmers and the lambs were pets (well 1 lucky 1) and allowed in the house like dogs were:eek::eek::eek:.
    I was amazed to say the least but it became apparent that this was pretty common.

I have two inside dogs myself now who wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were turfed off the couch into the back garden. I'm just saying that what seems strange to you (lambs inside?!?) might seem equally as strange to someone who'd never been used to having dogs inside. And I think religion has honestly very little to do with it, it's pure cultural norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why Moslems and not Muslims? Genuine question. Haven't seen it written like that often.

The reason you don't see it written as Moslem is because that is seen as a derogatory term now

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/12/why-j-k-rowling-is-so-incensed-about-rupert-murdochs-tweet-about-moslems/
    “Muslim” means Muslim. But “Moslem” means something entirely different. “Whereas for most English speakers, the two words are synonymous in meaning, the Arabic roots of the two words are very different,” the article said. “A ‘Muslim’ in Arabic means ‘one who gives himself to God,’ and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast a ‘Moslem’ in Arabic means ‘one who is evil and unjust’ when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, ‘Mozlem’ with a z.”

Why have you replied to me that way?

Why would I be licking windows?

Ive no problem with dogs,I have 2 PET!!!! dogs,Im all for dogs...mans best friend in all that

Fake news as a term is something I associate with window lickers.

Big fan of dogs here also. There's something wrong with anyone who thinks pet dogs are dirty generally. It's up to their owners to keep them clean. You just have to think of a pet dog as being like a small child in that regard and you're grand.

I have two inside dogs myself now who wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were turfed off the couch into the back garden. I'm just saying that what seems strange to you (lambs inside?!?) might seem equally as strange to someone who'd never been used to having dogs inside. And I think religion has honestly very little to do with it, it's pure cultural norms.

I dont disagree but when I referred to Mesut Ozil and his pic of him and his dog,it was because of his Muslim faith he was criticised not because it was strange.
    I never said having a lamb in the house was against any religion,it was just odd,thats all.
    These muslim lads are too forceful with there views.(specifically talking about the comments on Ozil's FB before Im labelled as anything:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Fake news as a term is something I associate with window lickers.

Big fan of dogs here also. There's something wrong with anyone who thinks pet dogs are dirty generally. It's up to their owners to keep them clean. You just have to think of a pet dog as being like a small child in that regard and you're grand.

Not a term I like or use but it seems to be the reply for when something you dont believe is true on the 'net.

I think were on the same page bud:)

SPDUB wrote: »
    The reason you don't see it written as Moslem is because that is seen as a derogatory term now

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/12/why-j-k-rowling-is-so-incensed-about-rupert-murdochs-tweet-about-moslems/

Thanks,learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

I dont disagree but when I referred to Mesut Ozil and his pic of him and his dog,it was because of his Muslim faith he was criticised not because it was strange.
    I never said having a lamb in the house was against any religion,it was just odd,thats all.
    These muslim lads are too forceful with there views.(specifically talking about the comments on Ozil's FB before Im labelled as anything:rolleyes:)

Well comments on the internet are always going to flush out the crazies.

Mesut Ozil is of Turkish background and Turkey is a country with a good few dog national dog breeds (kangal dog, anatolian shepherd, akbash dog).

So it'd be the equivalent of an Irish American being criticised for being seen eating red meat on a Friday (i.e. something that according to the religion of your country is wrong but equally something that not a whole lot of people in your country actually care about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

A dog's got personality, and personality goes a long way..

Well comments on the internet are always going to flush out the crazies.

Mesut Ozil is of Turkish background and Turkey is a country with a good few dog national dog breeds (kangal dog, anatolian shepherd, akbash dog).

So it'd be the equivalent of an Irish American being criticised for being seen eating red meat on a Friday (i.e. something that according to the religion of your country is wrong but equally something that not a whole lot of people in your country actually care about).

Mesut is also Muslim...Turkish heritage,German born...Its nothing strange to you and I that he would like dogs especially since you listed the national breeds of Turkey,they obviously like their dogs.

In bold....that just doesnt happen,I eat red meat on Friday but always,without fail a fish dinner because of my Christian upbringing and now because of convenience...I seriously doubt anybody is being criticised for eating red meat on Friday in this day and age

A dog's got personality, and personality goes a long way..

A dog will never text me as I park outside the house asking me to get milk from the shop, 5 miles away. That's enough for me to like it better than some of my family members at times.

(I must admit, I read your name as something slightly more appealing to the senses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The lamb in the house was almost certainly a "pet" lamb, whose mother had either died or rejected him.
    If he couldn't be adopted onto another ewe, he would have been bottle fed every four to six hours for the first month or so.
    These pet lambs become convinced that they are human (or that you are a sheep!) and are incredibly difficult to shake off the idea.
    They would literally follow you to bed if they could, and are a right nuisance around a house, eating flowers, bullying the dogs and behaving like little terrorists.
    We had a pair of twin lambs whose mother died, and our little girl reared them on bottles. (you buy 10kg tubs of formula)
    Even now three years later, with lambs of their own, they will come running up to you in the field looking for treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

A dog will never text me as I park outside the house asking me to get milk from the shop, 5 miles away. That's enough for me to like it better than some of my family members at times.

(I must admit, I read your name as something slightly more appealing to the senses)

Ah, I was just spoofing on a well-known film. The whole digging on swine etc. I wonder what you read my name as.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The lamb in the house was almost certainly a "pet" lamb, whose mother had either died or rejected him.
    If he couldn't be adopted onto another ewe, he would have been bottle fed every four to six hours for the first month or so.
    These pet lambs become convinced that they are human (or that you are a sheep!) and are incredibly difficult to shake off the idea.
    They would literally follow you to bed if they could, and are a right nuisance around a house, eating flowers, bullying the dogs and behaving like little terrorists.
    We had a pair of twin lambs whose mother died, and our little girl reared them on bottles. (you buy 10kg tubs of formula)
    Even now three years later, with lambs of their own, they will come running up to you in the field looking for treats.

Hahahahahaha,
    thats more or less exactly what happened,I lived with them for 4 years and thats exactly it!!
    I had no idea what was going on,being a young jackeen and all that,but thats what it was...the lambs were like babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Never mind the wee doggies...
    Scientists have only gone and made some 'human-pig' hybrids (chimeras) with the intention of organ harvesting.

Pretty sure that's in most folks (from the warmer countries) 'handbooks of good-living' as a general no-no.

Apparently we share a lot of dna with the wee piggies, some require factor 15 sun-cream on sunny days, if out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I wonder if Robbie Keane posted a pic of himself eating shellfish on facebook would christians be reply that its against his religion...I have my doubts!

Perhaps not but if it was a photo of him eating his wife's clam there might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dogs are not allowed, unless it's a Saluki. They are considered to be above normal dogs & may share the house & food. They are so revered that they feature on middle eastern postage stamps.

I used to have one & a group of Muslims on Salthill Prom were amazed to see her. They took selfies with her.

Is it muslims who don't want dogs or dogs who don't want muslims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

gramar wrote: »
    Is it muslims who don't want dogs or dogs who don't want muslims?
    What if dogs were Muslim?

eezipc wrote: »
    What if dogs were Muslim?

They could be...except for Sausage dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its because dogs can't stand Muslims.
    Something to do with the canines innate appreciation of democratic republicanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you look at the Levitical dietary laws , they made sense at the time.
    They didn't have a fridge plugged into the camel to keep things cold.
    Pork has worms which if not stored and cooked correctly are dangerous.
    Similarly mollusks, as they are filter feeders and can pose a risk to health.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It is a thing that dogs are considered unclean animals in the Islamic faith. I don't know how seriously it's taken though (in the same way that Christians technically shouldn't be eating shellfish according to Leviticus).
    They are traditionally considered haram but opinion seems to be changing. A growing number of Muslims have secret pet dogs, so opinion is changing. More hard-line imams are bitching about dog ownership being a Westernisation, but more are cool with it as long as the owner ritually cleanses before prayer; which they'd be doing anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I always thought the Muslims more a cat loving people, especially in the likes of Turkey and Egypt, statues and religious iconography dedicated to the cat.

The ancient Egyptians weren't Muslims. Islam didn't come into being for another few thousand years.

• Advertisement

Ironically, the more traditional view in Ireland woud be very similar (have dogs but only as outside animals, sure you couldn't be letting them track dirt in over the carpet).
    That's more a culchie thing than an Irish thing. The majority of people I know are all for dogs in the house but the country folk are the exact opposite.

Advertisement