Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims and Dogs

Options
  • 06-04-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Why do you never see muslim folk with dogs?

I assume its explained in the Quran somewhere? I understand they're not into pork products, but dogs are brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why do you never see moslem folk with dogs?

I assume its explained in the Quran somewhere? I understand they're not into pork products, but dogs are brilliant.

Great bunch of lads the Muslims are they a new breed????.....

Dog probably best suited on the dinner table so they don't do pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Mongrels was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dam them pesky Moslems ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I always thought the Muslims more a cat loving people, especially in the likes of Turkey and Egypt, statues and religious iconography dedicated to the cat.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Dogs are haram, seen as unclean things.

Muhommad was fond of the oul cats though, he is said to have a favourite cat called Muezza

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muezza
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_cats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Union Man

The Quran bans Moslems from owning dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Is it spelled Muslim or Moslem? I think I've got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Union Man wrote: »
    The Quran bans Moslems from owning dogs.
    Can you provide a direct quote from the Quran to support this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

The Koreans are into dogs. Them and the Chinese. They love them grilled, the best. The Moslems are into learning verses, keeping women three paces behind and not integrating unless it involves stoning someone. Pretty much. Dogs don't get a look in. Dogs are decadent. I'm a big fan of dogs. Mine is asleep on my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why Moslems and not Muslims? Genuine question. Haven't seen it written like that often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Not allowed....Mesut Ozil,superstar Arsenal muslim footballer posted a pic of him cuddling his beloved pooch Balboa and this is a small sample of replies on his facebook
    IMO bullsh1t replies but there is people out there that think this way:eek:

Temam Sherif mr ozil i am your number #1 fan..but i dont like you to see with najasa things that not allowed in islam...so please stay away from dog...make wudu and go to salah...when you have done this you will become champion in Iman and Football with Arsenal..am i wrong.! allahu a'ilam
    Like · Reply · 203 · 17 March at 05:39 · Edited
    59 Replies
    Abubakar Sadeeq Muhammad
    Abubakar Sadeeq Muhammad Assalam Mr. Mesut Özil as a Muslim you are not allow to touch dog in Islam please avoid it for the sake of ALLAH and seek for forgiveness thank you
    Like · Reply · 114 · 16 March at 19:03

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Not allowed....Mesut Ozil,superstar Arsenal muslim footballer posted a pic of him cuddling his beloved pooch Balboa and this is a small sample of replies on his facebook
    IMO bullsh1t replies but there is people out there that think this way:eek:

Temam Sherif mr ozil i am your number #1 fan..but i dont like you to see with najasa things that not allowed in islam...so please stay away from dog...make wudu and go to salah...when you have done this you will become champion in Iman and Football with Arsenal..am i wrong.! allahu a'ilam
    Like · Reply · 203 · 17 March at 05:39 · Edited
    59 Replies
    Abubakar Sadeeq Muhammad
    Abubakar Sadeeq Muhammad Assalam Mr. Mesut Özil as a Muslim you are not allow to touch dog in Islam please avoid it for the sake of ALLAH and seek for forgiveness thank you
    Like · Reply · 114 · 16 March at 19:03

What a load of bollocks.

I'd throw a sandal at them for writing such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

It is a thing that dogs are considered unclean animals in the Islamic faith. I don't know how seriously it's taken though (in the same way that Christians technically shouldn't be eating shellfish according to Leviticus).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

I always thought the Muslims more a cat loving people, especially in the likes of Turkey and Egypt, statues and religious iconography dedicated to the cat.
    Ancient Egyptian's where pagan not Muslim

It is a thing that dogs are considered unclean animals in the Islamic faith. I don't know how seriously it's taken though (in the same way that Christians technically shouldn't be eating shellfish according to Leviticus).

I wonder if Robbie Keane posted a pic of himself eating shellfish on facebook would christians be reply that its against his religion...I have my doubts!

I wonder if Robbie Keane posted a pic of himself eating shellfish on facebook would christians be reply that its against his religion...I have my doubts!

Almost certainly not. In Ireland, as a fairly monocultural society still, we accept a lot of things we were brought up with to be "traditional" and thus acceptable in a way we totally refuse to do with other cultures. I mean if you were to try to sit down and explain to someone why nuns wear headdresses you'd struggle to come up with good reasons but it's so culturally normative to us that we don't see it as unusual enough to need to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There were no christians in the time of Leviticus.

endacl wrote: »
    There were no christians in the time of Leviticus.

Fair enough, but there are Christians now, and we still have Leviticus as a book of the bible.

Like to divorce it from religious context - we'd all probably say here that wearing white to a wedding is in bad taste. But in China red is the colour for weddings so it wouldn't have the same connotations at all.

My point is just that traditions don't necessarily make sense, so when you run into a tradition from a culture you aren't familiar with they can seem crazy. But that goes both ways, and there's a lot of stuff we take as routine here that might seem absolutely nuts to someone with a very different culture from ours.

Almost certainly not. In Ireland, as a fairly monocultural society still, we accept a lot of things we were brought up with to be "traditional" and thus acceptable in a way we totally refuse to do with other cultures. I mean if you were to try to sit down and explain to someone why nuns wear headdresses you'd struggle to come up with good reasons but it's so culturally normative to us that we don't see it as unusual enough to need to be explained.

Very true but nuns are religious figures,muslim lads showing affection to dogs is not the same as nuns with their habits...I mean dogs are dirty ffs what boll0x ,this is the real world.
    We are not explaining why you should NOT do something,we explain why others do something...we dont try to stop people doing what the like(within the law obvs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Fair enough, but there are Christians now, and we still have Leviticus as a book of the bible.

Like to divorce it from religious context - we'd all probably say here that wearing white to a wedding is in bad taste. But in China red is the colour for weddings so it wouldn't have the same connotations at all.

My point is just that traditions don't necessarily make sense, so when you run into a tradition from a culture you aren't familiar with they can seem crazy. But that goes both ways, and there's a lot of stuff we take as routine here that might seem absolutely nuts to someone with a very different culture from ours.

I'm a shellfish loving Christian. Can't beat a plate of mussels ;)

Have we figured out what a Moslem is yet?

• Advertisement

Very true but nuns are religious figures,muslim lads showing affection to dogs is not the same as nuns with their habits...I mean dogs are dirty ffs what boll0x ,this is the real world.
    We are not explaining why you should NOT do something,we explain why others do something...we dont try to stop people doing what the like(within the law obvs)

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Growing up with Muslim friends, the statement about the Coran banning people from owning dogs (as they're dirty) is what I always heard.

I'm a shellfish loving Christian. Can't beat a plate of mussels ;)

Have we figured out what a Moslem is yet?

TO HELL WITH YOU!!!!
    Sorry I know your a follower,saw you post in the Christianity forum.
    But you prove the point,that Christianity is right now adaptable.
    I only eat fish for my dinner on Friday..........BUT I had a sausage sandwich in the morning:pac:...The fish on Fri is simply laziness,ive only 6 other days to figure out whats for dinner lol and thanks to Christianity its fish on Friday,no ifs,no buts,no maybe's,thats what im making:)

Ah here.

Ah here what?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Moslem is correct , so is Muslim

Growing up with Muslim friends, the statement about the Coran banning people from owning dogs (as they're dirty) is what I always heard.

We think pigs are dirty but apparently they're an extremely intelligent animal.

Basically what I'm saying is tradition doesn't and never really has worked on logical grounds.

So far as I'm aware (and I'm certainly no expert) the strict Islamic interpretation is that it's fine to have dogs as working animals, greyhounds and sheepdogs for example, but it's not ok to have it living inside your home as a pet.

Ironically, the more traditional view in Ireland woud be very similar (have dogs but only as outside animals, sure you couldn't be letting them track dirt in over the carpet).

Basically what I'm saying is tradition doesn't and never really has worked on logical grounds.

So far as I'm aware (and I'm certainly no expert) the strict Islamic interpretation is that it's fine to have dogs as working animals, greyhounds and sheepdogs for example, but it's not ok to have it living inside your home as a pet.

Ironically, the more traditional view in Ireland woud be very similar (have dogs but only as outside animals, sure you couldn't be letting them track dirt in over the carpet).

Doubtful...we have working dogs and pets...thats fake news as they they say.
    How old is this traditional you are talking about?

Doubtful...we have working dogs and pets...thats fake news as they they say.
    How old is this traditional you are talking about?

Well certainly when I was growing up (I'm in my late 20's) my parents would never have allowed our pet dogs in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

99problems wrote: »
    Ancient Egyptian's where pagan not Muslim

Quite. When did you ever hear of Bastet(Cat) or Sekhmet(Lioness)or Anubis (Jackal)being worshiped in Islam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Pigs are only dirty because they root the ground up and unless they are moved regularly, it becomes a muddy quagmire. Good points there..but pet dogs and indoor dogs aren't unusual in Ireland now.

Advertisement