Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Akrasia wrote: »
    How was Arnold acting the Bollox?. He didn't release the ball immediately but there's no law that says he has to allow the other team to take a quick lineout.

They can’t take a quick lineout, he’s in touch holding the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

John Hayes Ligind
    Akrasia wrote: »
    How was Arnold acting the Bollox?. He didn't release the ball immediately but there's no law that says he has to allow the other team to take a quick lineout.

Yes there is. There's a law that says exactly that, 18.3.
    A player who carries the ball into touch must release the ball immediately so that a quick throw may be taken. Sanction: Penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    See, the problem here is that if some lad in Castres with too much time on his hands goes through the tape frame by frame he'll find plenty to be outraged by too. It's the nature of the game. Munster are well able to play the cynical game when it suits.

The only exception I'd make is the alleged gouge. It doesn't look clear to me but if there's a better picture, then throw the book at him.

That TRK guy is painful, an absolute dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

It was a Munster scrum that was awarded, not a Castres lineout so Arnold was not preventing a quick throw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Apart from pointing the finger at sun, moon and stars

Just wondering what is Johann van Grann current win ratio away from home?

Leave poor old Barnes alone, he is a new favorite in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering what is Johann van Grann current win ratio away from home?

This season has not been great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    This season has not been great

Last season it wasn't hectic either if I remember correctly?

Away last season beat
    2 x SA teams in April
    Leicester Tiger in December, or was JVG in charge then?

Before that Zebre in Nov
    Draw with Castres in Oct
    Osprey in September

Rest are all losses away
    That is absolutely shocking

Can't blame Barnes for every one of those match's

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend

Ok, fair cop.

There was no need to shove his face in the mud and knee him in the ribs when he was done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Pretty defeatist thinking Munster will get nothing against Gloucester no?

Away form hasn't been great

If we play like we did against Castres then it could be a difficult evening.

We are absolutely capable of a LBP or a win, but big improvement needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

That wasnt anything more than what the officials gave. He slide in to contest for the ball. It wasnt illegal. You could never give anything like a penalty try for a decision like that

You cannot kick the ball while grounded. Even if Conway was not there it was a probable penalty try and yellow card.

As it happened, he clattered into Conway knees first which caused Conway to knock the ball on. A second Castres player then dove shoulder first into a prone Conway. Both incidents should have resulted in a yellow, and there should have been a penalty try.

The no-arm, off-the-ball, above-the-horizontal tackle on POM was a textbook red. Each of those aspects of the tackle alone warranted a yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

You cannot kick the ball while grounded. Even if Conway was not there it was a probable penalty try and yellow card.

As it happened, he clattered into Conway knees first which caused Conway to knock the ball on. A second Castres player then dove shoulder first into a prone Conway. Both incidents should have resulted in a yellow, and there should have been a penalty try.

The no-arm, off-the-ball, above-the-horizontal tackle on POM was a textbook red. Each of those aspects of the tackle alone warranted a yellow.

You couldn't kick it if you'd been tackled to the ground. You'd have to get up first. But you can slide along the ground and kick it, same as you could slide along the ground to collect it in your arms

You couldn't kick it if you'd been tackled to the ground. You'd have to get up first. But you can slide along the ground and kick it, same as you could slide along the ground to collect it in your arms

No you cannot. As per Law 13, you may go to ground to collect the ball in your arms, but you cannot go to ground to kick it.

Regardless, the Castres player did not kick the ball, he kicked Conway. It was a clear act of foul play which denied a certain try. It's a yellow card and penalty try.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    No you cannot. As per Law 13, you may go to ground to collect the ball in your arms, but you cannot go to ground to kick it.

Regardless, the Castres player did not kick the ball, he kicked Conway. It was a clear act of foul play which denied a certain try. It's a yellow card and penalty try.
    Its not a yellow or penalty try. He slid in for the ball he was slidding before conway was in possession and he didnt kick conway he slid into him. Not a penalty try.

Its not a yellow or penalty try. He slid in for the ball he was slidding before conway was in possession and he didnt kick conway he slid into him. Not a penalty try.

He kneed Conway before he gathered the ball. If someone can't see that as a penalty, there's no conversation to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately:
    Get up with the ball; or
    Play (but not kick) the ball; or
    Release the ball.
    Sanction: Penalty.

It says players who have gone to ground to gather the ball can't then kick it. It doesn't say you can't go to ground to kick it away without gathering it in the first place

He kneed Conway before he gathered the ball. If someone can't see that as a penalty, there's no conversation to be had.
    No penalty there. He slid in to contest for ball and with them on ground i wouldnt give a penalty for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think the contact made the difference, without making contact with Conway he most likely would have gathered it first time.
    I thought at the time it was very similar to interfering with a guy (as in subtly nudging or holding back an arm etc) that is just about to receive a pass close to the line. Often this does get missed, sometimes the ref just waves that it was a knock-on and doesn't bother looking for the replay. Can be very frustrating. Especially if the TMO is consulted and failed to bring it to the ref's attention.
    When I saw the contact in real time I assumed it would be a penalty try because it was a sliding tackle on a player gathering the ball into his arms in the process of scoring a try.

Would it be similar to attacking player in the act of catching a high ball near the try line and the defending player jumping and bumping the attacking player while not close enough to catch the ball?
    I think that would be a penalty try also (not talking about a big hit in the air).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

That's rubbish and you know it, he led with his feet, he was never getting there first ..the old duty of care goes out the door with some people doesn't it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's rubbish and you know it, he led with his feet, he was never getting there first ..the old duty of care goes out the door with some people doesn't it

Slide tackles are fine in soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    I think the contact made the difference, without making contact with Conway he most likely would have gathered it first time.
    I thought at the time it was very similar to interfering with a guy (as in subtly nudging or holding back an arm etc) that is just about to receive a pass close to the line. Often this does get missed, sometimes the ref just waves that it was a knock-on and doesn't bother looking for the replay. Can be very frustrating. Especially if the TMO is consulted and failed to bring it to the ref's attention.
    When I saw the contact in real time I assumed it would be a penalty try because it was a sliding tackle on a player gathering the ball into his arms in the process of scoring a try.

Again, neither player was in possession. The Castres player (can never remember how to spell his name) was fully entitled to slide for the ball in an attempt to clear it into touch.

Slide tackles are allowed in soccer. Slide clearances are allowed in rugby, and often they’ll become (legal) slide tackles where you have two players going for a loose ball.

Again, neither player was in possession. The Castres player (can never remember how to spell his name) was fully entitled to slide for the ball in an attempt to clear it into touch.

Slide tackles are allowed in soccer. Slide clearances are allowed in rugby, and often they’ll become (legal) slide tackles where you have two players going for a loose ball.

No he was not. You are not allowed to kick the ball if you are not on your feet.

The Castres kicked Conway while trying to illegally stop a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

All the internationals in Ireland camp. Will make for an interesting selection on Friday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I dont think it does. It was an entirely fair contest IMO. Player would have been short of line as well so where is the probable try. The contact was fine. If the ball was well into in goal then you can look at possibility of penalty try but not where it happened.
    Not rubbish at all. Duty of care hasnt gone out window at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

John Hayes Ligind
    No penalty there. He slid in to contest for ball and with them on ground i wouldnt give a penalty for that.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1074360029229318144

I dont think it does. It was an entirely fair contest IMO. Player would have been short of line as well so where is the probable try. The contact was fine. If the ball was well into in goal then you can look at possibility of penalty try but not where it happened.

I would dig a bit deeper there, a contest would be both players close to winning possession of the ball (either gathering or clearing), but in reality the Castres player wasn't close to the ball and pulled out of the challenge a little late but (while lessening the contact) still made enough contact to upset the player gathering the ball. That was contact about 2 or 3 feet away from where the ball was, i.e. without realistically getting close enough to get at the ball.

Also, you are not allowing for the fact that the ground was very slippery, Conway slid about 5 metres, that has to count in the decision (in terms of how close he was to scoring).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://munsterrugby.ie/2018/12/17/86435-munster-ulster-squad-update/

I'd go for:

Loughman, KOB, Archer, Kleyn, Wycherley, Botha, Oliver, Stander
    Mathewson, Johnston, Nash, Bleyendaal, Daly, Wootton, JJH

Sherry, LOC, Parker, DOS, TOD, Williams, Taute, Fitzgerald

Injured: Marshall, Cronin, Scott (tbc), JOD, DOC, Hart, Farrell
    Rested: N Scannell, Kilcoyne, Ryan, Beirne, Cloete, Murray, Carbery, R Scannell, Arnold, Earls, Conway, Haley

Munster have named strong sides this season when I didn't expect them to but it would really buck a trend if we saw anything close to a full team go to Belfast. Stander might possibly travel as he was rested versus Edinburgh.
    By the sounds of it Goggin and Sweetnam won't make it back for Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind

It's funny, the last time Andrew Conway and 'duty of care' were mentioned in the same sentence, it was when he broke another player's jaw with his head.

Only back then, people were losing their sh*t at the suggestion that a tackler might have a duty of care not to smash a guy's jaw. Any suggestions to the contrary were sour grapes, moaning and whatever else.

I'm glad the same people are now so concerned for player welfare. A real maturing of our attitudes.

• Advertisement

It's funny, the last time Andrew Conway and 'duty of care' were mentioned in the same sentence, it was when he broke another player's jaw with his head.

Only back then, people were losing their sh*t at the suggestion that a tackler might have a duty of care not to smash a guy's jaw. Any suggestions to the contrary were sour grapes, moaning and whatever else.

I'm glad the same people are now so concerned for player welfare. A real maturing of our attitudes.

img_1108.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement