Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Nazis won WW2...

Options

Comments

glaswegian wrote: »
    don't recall ireland joining in the fight against the fascists,do recall them making the nazi's quite comfortable in the curragh camp though,so herr hitler would probably look rather kindly on this wee country.

Big co-operation given by Ireland, took in evacuees from London, allowed mining right up to a few miles off the coast, passed on info on u-boat sightings, and meteorological info vital in D Day landings, released British soldiers while interned Germans etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

It would be like the hunger games and we'd be district 12, without the coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We'd have won a few World Cups and Euro Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Probably less Jew's, elderly or disabled people around.
    don't recall ireland joining in the fight against the fascists,do recall them making the nazi's quite comfortable in the curragh camp though,so herr hitler would probably look rather kindly on this wee country.

Less Jews alright but more grammar Nazis to point out that there are no apostrophes in plurals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Unusual for a thread to almost start with Godwins law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Fast food would be bratwurst not hamburgers, we'd all aspire to drive chevrolets not Mercedes and situation comedy would be on its arse

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...they would probably never have made the Great Escape - may have ruined Steve McQueen's career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Still waiting for a non ironic, 'we'd all be speaking german right now'

Großbuchstaben "G" bitte.

*Grammar Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Kraftwerk would still be having number one hits and Der Beatles would have Been a minor band with hits like " I vont to hold your hand" "she loves you, Ja, Ja, Ja" and " All you need is military discipline"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

It depends on when they won it. If they had won in 1940, say by capturing the BEF at Dunkirk before it could be evacuated and Britain capitulating, then things would probably have been ok for the Irish, more or less. If they had won by developing A Bombs before the USA and sticking them on their rockets in late 1944 then they'd have been nuking all around them like there was no tomorrow as there would be no tomorrow for the Nazis with Uncle Joe kicking down their back doors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BBDBB wrote: »
    Kraftwerk would still be having number one hits and Der Beatles would have Been a minor band with hits like " I vont to hold your hand" "she loves you, Ja, Ja, Ja" and " All you need is military discipline"
    Funny enough Der Beatles did record Sie liebt dich and I Komm gib mir deine Hand in German.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Even with Brexit, Germany is going to decide the UK's future. That's some interesting ironing alright.

For the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The English would have to sing one world war and one world cup

Some of the greatest scientific, medical, pharmaceutical and engineering breakthroughs were made under the Nazi regime.
    Would Neil Armstrong have walked on the moon, if it wasn't for them.
    Would synthetic opioids for paid relieve ever have been discovered. What Germany did when it comes to research and development during that period is fascinating.
    They were 5 to 10 years ahead of the other western powers.
    They changed how wars were fought.

Had they not focused on the extermination of Jewish race and the fanatical desire to conquer the world, I think they'd be seen in a much better light.
    Stalins ussr killed 4X as many.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

...instead of the Russians what would Europe be like now? It's a question no one cares about but it's interesting none the less.

I'd say it would not have been as bad as it may appear. 20 years down the road we would probably have regained democracy
    You've answered your own question.

The Russians held a tight grip on Eastern Europe for far more than 20 years. And one of the main factors in the collapse was that they couldn't keep up with Western Europe.

The Germans were capitalists so in a Fatherland (great book btw) style Europe there would be all the mod cons. Remember the US would not have got all those German patents or perhaps even a lot of the UK ones so it wouldn't be like difference either side of the Iron Curtain.

Thing is the Nazi's couldn't have won. Not unless they continued to capture great wealth. France fell but the gold was taken across the Atlantic. IIRC a lot of the Polish gold went with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I often wondered if my aunt had balls would she still be my aunt.
    Did you just assume gender :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The Palestinian's would be free, there would be no Zionist state destabilising the middle east and America would not be a puppet bully fcuking up the world for everyone else.

In short, globally speaking, we could not possibly be in a worse state than we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

blondes everywhere -yessss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Even with Brexit, Germany is going to decide the UK's future. That's some interesting ironing alright.
    I've never found ironing interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Palestinian's would be free, there would be no Zionist state destabilising the middle east and America would not be a puppet bully fcuking up the world for everyone else.

In short, globally speaking, we could not possibly be in a worse state than we are now.

An excellent point, actually, which is often overlooked in the 'what if' scenario.

It's what I dislike about some alternative shows (like Man in High Castle, decent as it is) - they tend to focus exclusively on the UK and/or America as the major losers in the 'what if' scenario and give scant or zero mention to the actual condition of occupied Europe and occupied or otherwise other major spheres of influence in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So you assume that people would just assimilate and countries wouldn't rebel and fight back.

Western Europe could easily be like the Middle East.

Politics etc is not as straight forward as you make out.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you assume that people would just assimilate and countries wouldn't rebel and fight back.

Western Europe could easily be like the Middle East.

Politics etc is not as straight forward as you make out.

I didn't assume anything actually.

Only one thing is certain if "the Nazis won WW2" the Zionist influence would be much less significant.

Most likely insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I used to live in Glasgow. Some mouth breather heard my accent in a student bar and started the above rubbish.

He also claimed that the Irish were refueling German U-boats during WWII. This is a common belief among idiots in Glasgow.

I pointed out that would have been a breach of Ireland's neutrality.

He said it wasn't the government, it was the IRA.

I informed him that the Irish government were executing members of the IRA who attempted to collaborate with the Germans. Any refueling station would be easily noticed, the IRA men captured and hanged.

He then claimed that it wasn't the IRA in the south, it was Republicans in Northern Ireland.

This Glaswegian moron believed Kriegsmarine U-boats were docking in the fcuking UK during WWII to refuel.

Well, the Jewish people would be all dead.

So there would be less trouble in the Middle East.

It's a bit like saying if all black people were wiped out, there'd be fewer problems in Africa. Would that really mean the world would be in a better state? I don't think so...

Well, the Jewish people would be all dead.

So there would be less trouble in the Middle East.

It's a bit like saying if all black people were wiped out, there'd be fewer problems in Africa. Would that really mean the world would be in a better state? I don't think so...

It's nothing like that actually.

I'm specifically talking about the Zionist state that was created in Palestine AFTER the war.

That Zionist state has done more damage since WW2 than Hitler did during it, imo.

It's nothing like that actually.

I'm specifically talking about the Zionist state that was created in Palestine AFTER the war.

Oh you think the Nazis would have dropped the Final Solution if they had won.

And you were saying that the Jewish people merely wouldn't have had the political power to form a nation.

Yeah, sure you were...sure you were...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Nazism was so extreme that even had they won there'd have been guerilla warfare and resistance all over the place, so it'd probably have been tightly bound authoritarianism trying to contain chaos everywhere from Limerick to Moscow.

They didn't have any real racial beef with us or the Brits so there'd have been puppet regimes in Dublin and London and any Jews and probably Travellers would have been shopped in.

Apparently as late as 1942/43 the U.S.A were planning for a bipolar U.S/Nazi dominated world until racism and hubris got the better of the Nazi's on the Eastern Front, there'd also have probably been a nuclear arms race and cold war between the U.S and the Nazi's, with the CIA stoking all sorts of unrest in Europe to take advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

...instead of the Russians what would Europe be like now? It's a question no one cares about but it's interesting none the less.

I'd say it would not have been as bad as it may appear. 20 years down the road we would probably have regained democracy. Hitler would have died naturally in that time anyway. Also the Germans are great at everything, so our country would be better today, more disciplined i'd say and less wreckless.

On a different note in recent years more and more WW2 footage in documentaries has had color added to it. Saw one of these last night. Don't know how they do the editing but it looks awesome and sad :(

Brings a new perspective.
    So much lies and propaganda have now been spread about WW2 in Europe that most people, even though thinking they know it all are really completely ignorant on the subject.

Actually I agree with your post it shows some understanding.

Oh you think the Nazis would have dropped the Final Solution if they had won.

And you were saying that the Jewish people merely wouldn't have had the political power to form a nation.

Yeah, sure you were...sure you were...

Whatever Conor. Your outrage on demand is tiresome, get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Countries like Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, the nordic states, et al would have been largely OK - and France would likely have been handed back most of its sovereignty apart from a few annexed regions, same for Belgium, Holland, etc. As long as Western Europe played political ball with the Germans, they would've been mostly fine.

However they would have looked to have Jews detained and deported from every country in Europe - and possibly expected some level of 'volunteer labour' for Germany from certain countries (France in particular) like during the war which meant poor conditions, low pay, long hours.

Really though, it would have been particularly horrific for the entirety of central and eastern europe as well as the vast Soviet Union, where they planned to starve about 50 million people, uproot countless millions of others and dump them as far east as possible, and ultimately reduce the remaining populations to nations of uneducated slaves whose sole purpose was to supply Germany with it's every need.

Really, what did happen in reality was the lesser of two evils. Stalin had already done most of his murdering by the time WW2 rolled around. Hitler had barely gotten started on the larger plan by 1945.

Pretty much the way it was horrific for the natives in the Americas, but even with a so-called free press and democratic system that genocide isn't acknowledged so the genocide carried out by the Germans would've been covered up.

Advertisement