Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Nazis won WW2...

Options
  • 31-03-2017 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

...instead of the Russians what would Europe be like now? It's a question no one cares about but it's interesting none the less.

I'd say it would not have been as bad as it may appear. 20 years down the road we would probably have regained democracy. Hitler would have died naturally in that time anyway. Also the Germans are great at everything, so our country would be better today, more disciplined i'd say and less wreckless.

On a different note in recent years more and more WW2 footage in documentaries has had color added to it. Saw one of these last night. Don't know how they do the editing but it looks awesome and sad :(

Brings a new perspective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I really like 'Man in the High Castle' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Would we not be a slave nation charged with the sole purpose of supplying Germany with agricultural produce?

That's what they had planned for us. I read it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AH might be a bit more liberal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

We would follow rules set out in berlin, oh wait, we're doing that already.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Less wreckless'

More wrecks? That'd be a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

We'd be ruled from Berlin, the Chancellor would dictate how we run our affairs and we'd be obsessed about owning and driving German cars......

.......haaaaaaang on a minute!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ya. Sehr gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Thwre'd probably be less gingers and travelers

Edit: For clarification - not hate speech: Fact is, Nazis liked their ethnic cleansing and were particular about hair colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

judeboy101 wrote: »
    We would follow rules set out in berlin, oh wait, we're doing that already.....

Even with Brexit, Germany is going to decide the UK's future. That's some interesting ironing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I suppose it depends what you mean by "win". They could have stopped invading countries at any point and probably consolidated their gains and maybe still be around today.

The problem with the Nazi regime was it was based on nonsense, they were coming apart at the seams because they were lead by lunatics, it's likely that even if they did consolidate their position instead of invading more countries the whole system would have imploded either after Hitler's death or at some stage when their dogma ran into reality.

They wanted to rewrite history, they were living in a fantasy land and that never lasts.

If the current Germans wanted to take over I'd kind of be OK with that, they're a great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Still waiting for a non ironic, 'we'd all be speaking german right now'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Americans would have dropped atomic bombs on Germany. Ethnic cleansing would have continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Countries like Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, the nordic states, et al would have been largely OK - and France would likely have been handed back most of its sovereignty apart from a few annexed regions, same for Belgium, Holland, etc. As long as Western Europe played political ball with the Germans, they would've been mostly fine.

However they would have looked to have Jews detained and deported from every country in Europe - and possibly expected some level of 'volunteer labour' for Germany from certain countries (France in particular) like during the war which meant poor conditions, low pay, long hours.

Really though, it would have been particularly horrific for the entirety of central and eastern europe as well as the vast Soviet Union, where they planned to starve about 50 million people, uproot countless millions of others and dump them as far east as possible, and ultimately reduce the remaining populations to nations of uneducated slaves whose sole purpose was to supply Germany with it's every need.

Really, what did happen in reality was the lesser of two evils. Stalin had already done most of his murdering by the time WW2 rolled around. Hitler had barely gotten started on the larger plan by 1945.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Our police would have the coolest uniforms!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Probably less Jew's, elderly or disabled people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... Also the Germans are great at everything, so our country would be better today...

Tell us - just how good are they at the craic? In what way is German craic better than Irish craic. Compare and contrast the two and ensure you give sufficient detail in your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A more peaceful world

We wouldn't have had Allo Allo and "Gid Merning, I was just pissing by the window"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If the Nazis had won WWII...

Germany would be by far the most powerful nation in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Europe would be like Boards.

Is this a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe someone should start a new thread? "The difference between Boards and the Reich..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Probably less Jew's, elderly or disabled people around.

but public transport would have been run well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Maybe someone should start a new thread? "The difference between Boards and the Reich..."

You wouldn't be allowed to! You would get an infraction for being a bold frog!!!

...instead of the Russians...

At over 25 million dead, it was some success...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I often wondered if my aunt had balls would she still be my aunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jawgap wrote: »
    We'd be ruled from Berlin, the Chancellor would dictate how we run our affairs and we'd be obsessed about owning and driving German cars......

.......haaaaaaang on a minute!!!!!!!

Isn't that happening already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

ScumLord wrote: »
    I suppose it depends what you mean by "win". They could have stopped invading countries at any point and probably consolidated their gains and maybe still be around today.

The problem with the Nazi regime was it was based on nonsense, they were coming apart at the seams because they were lead by lunatics, it's likely that even if they did consolidate their position instead of invading more countries the whole system would have imploded either after Hitler's death or at some stage when their dogma ran into reality.

They wanted to rewrite history, they were living in a fantasy land and that never lasts.

If the current Germans wanted to take over I'd kind of be OK with that, they're a great bunch of lads.

Well, so were the Commies but they lasted another 45 years or so.

I've actually read an interesting piece about how if the UK/France had actually been more forceful early on against Nazi Germany it likely would have exacerbated the war/death toll rather than eased it. The Germans would've probably started ethnic cleansing on the low-key and amplifying their military build up for what they'd view as an inevitable war.

If the Germans had won, I'd think we'd have eventually regressed to the mean, though the roles of fascism and communism would be reversed (Communism seems to be more socially acceptable than fascism these days, if the Germans had won we'd probably see the opposite).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭glaswegian

don't recall ireland joining in the fight against the fascists,do recall them making the nazi's quite comfortable in the curragh camp though,so herr hitler would probably look rather kindly on this wee country.

Advertisement