Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation Events

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I got rear ended by a bus transporter some years back, car was a write off.

I was in hospital 2 years ago, i had a seizure, had to be restrained (i had enchepalitis so i wasn't in my right mind) and became aggressive. I fractured my back as a result. I have heard of people claiming due to a cracked rip after receiving CPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

I was reversed into in a car park when I was 7 months pregnant. Bit of a jolt and a dent and scrape on my car but nothing too dramatic. Baby was kicking away so I wasn't worried about that. They offered to fix it and were very nice. My dad died in the week following so I told them it was ok and never followed up. There is more to be doing than wasting time with nonsense claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had to travel the Dublin Luas with the plebs, still waiting for my 20K payout for the distress caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When I was younger, I was coming out of a Zhivago store after browsing for about 30 minutes and buying a DVD I had ordered in specially. Security guard stopped me at the door and said I couldn't leave until he'd searched me - he searched my jacket and bag in front of loads of customers.

Obviously there was nothing to find.... except the DVD I had just bought.

I often wonder what he thought he saw that he was so convinced I had something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

When I was younger, I was coming out of a Zhivago store after browsing for about 30 minutes and buying a DVD I had ordered in specially. Security guard stopped me at the door and said I couldn't leave until he'd searched me - he searched my jacket and bag in front of loads of customers.

Obviously there was nothing to find.... except the DVD I had just bought.

I often wonder what he thought he saw that he was so convinced I had something.

I would refuse out of principle. Those private security lads have no right to search anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Knocked off bicycle going straight through a junction (with greenlight), van coming the other way made a right hand turn but didn't have filter light to do so. Bike smashed up, 6 stitches in forehead and a bit shook up. Probably some sort of claim possible.
    But the key thing was the van driver was brilliant, drove me to A&E, stayed until family arrived, got bike fixed up, paid A&E bills with no hesitation. So I let it go at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

biko wrote: »
    I had to travel the Dublin Luas with the plebs, still waiting for my 20K payout for the distress caused.

As opposed to the Galway Luas, is it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

When I was in college yonks ago, I got sprayed in the face with acid through absolutely no fault of my own.

I was in the college workshop washing my hands at the sink. There were several sinks in a row beside each other. A lab technician came over to the sink beside me to wash his hands. He left a beaker of acid he was carrying on the edge of his sink. While he was washing his hands, he must have nudged the beaker of acid and it fell into the sink. Once the acid hit the water, it pretty much exploded (not sure of technical name) and sent a spray of acid drops into my face. Lucky for me my sink was full of water and I faceplanted the water as quick as I could so that diluted the acid immediately. It was really really sore at the time but the damage would have been much worse if I didn't have water available instantly.

My face looked like a pizza for about a month but there was no real lasting damage. I didn't put in a claim even though it was a nailed on certainty that I would have gotten compensation because the incident was not my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had an accident in an old job, their fault. PPE not working adequately, numerous staff reported the fault in the PPE, they said it was too expensive to replace, week later the fault caused me to have an accident.

I was off work for over two months and absolutely out of my bin on pain meds, needing MRI scans and other treatment.

I didn't want to claim. The thought didn't initially cross my mind. I went back to work, and asked in a meeting with HR about getting my medical bills covered.

They told me I was just looking for money, and that wouldn't happen (I literally just wanted my bills covered, I had invoices for everything with me, and nothing more).

So I sued, and I got more than triple my medical costs. I didn't want to, but I couldn't afford the medical fees.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I didn't put in a claim even though it was a nailed on certainty that I would have gotten compensation because the incident was not my fault.

Why not?

I understand people not wanting to put in claims when the accident was their own stupidity etc, but when you've been genuinely hurt due to someone else's stupidity/carelessness?

Also keep in mind that most of these payouts come from insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

fg1406 wrote: »
    Broke my arm in a Dublin nightclub when I was in college. Slipped and fell on The dance floor. I was pissed and in heels. I didn't even think for a second that it was anyone's fault but my own.
    Those dance floors can be murder. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why not?

I understand people not wanting to put in claims when the accident was their own stupidity etc, but when you've been genuinely hurt due to someone else's stupidity/carelessness?

Effort of it sure. Specially for a minor injury or incident. Different if its something you need serious medical costs covered of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Go rear ended in a car I had bought 2 days before hand. Not brand new, but my first car after learning to drive in the family banger.

It sounded so much worse from inside, and there was just a tiny little chip of paint gone. Can't imagine what a real crash must sound like.

Anyway, the guy was in bits apologising, wanted to pay cash for the damage. I had gone to pull out but, not being used to the clutch, I cut out. By law he's at fault, but yeah I can shoulder a little of this as well. I said look sure f*ck it and we shook on it and were about to go our separate ways, when some aul biddy made a poor effort of going around the "accident" and crashed into the side of his car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Had a taxi drive into the back of me as I was dropping a friend to bus aras. Was just crossing the liffey as it happened.

Got out and took a look at my car (first car, plenty of dings on it) and couldn't find any new marks on my car at all. Taxi driver had his front bumper hanging off. I said I was fine and hoped it wouldn't cost him a lot to get his car sorted.

Guy shook my hand and thanked me profusely, maybe taxis are terrified of the "whiplash" complaint that randomers get as they encounter an accident with a taxi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

RedXIV wrote: »
    Had a taxi drive into the back of me as I was dropping a friend to bus aras. Was just crossing the liffey as it happened.

Got out and took a look at my car (first car, plenty of dings on it) and couldn't find any new marks on my car at all. Taxi driver had his front bumper hanging off. I said I was fine and hoped it wouldn't cost him a lot to get his car sorted.

Guy shook my hand and thanked me profusely, maybe taxis are terrified of the "whiplash" complaint that randomers get as they encounter an accident with a taxi?

Done the same twice - been rear-ended but my car was ok, so let it go - stuff happens. No need to be bad about it.. people make mistakes.

Rear ended (at about 5mph) a muppet who was 100% in the wrong, (stopped dead on a blind hump-back bridge to check his phone:confused::confused:) but I hit him in the rear, so my bad, right? He took me to the cleaners with a claim. They say no good deed goes unpunished. Seems to be true. My insurance went through the roof. I'm thinking maybe I was the mug those other times. I know I was this time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

o1s1n wrote: »

out of their own pockets too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done to Judge in ruling correctly and shame on Ms Saveljeva and her legal team -

School games are part of growing up - accidents happen in all walks of life including school life - disgraceful action by Saveljeva , but well done Judge in maintaing some fun in education .

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-cant-ban-games-in-school-judge-tells-mother-of-girl-6-injured-during-game-of-chase-35591576.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Injury claims no but...

When I lived in waterford around 2008 I was just after coming off the bridge and near the junction with the fitzwilliam hotel when a woman shot out from a lane on the right without looking and ploughed into the front side of my car. I had only just vrt'd it.
    Pulled over and she was pretty shaken but the out of nowhere came the accusations I was driving like a mad man and should have given her right of way. Bare in mind now I'm on the main road coming from Dublin and she pulled out of a side street.
    Then a "stranger" runs over and saying look at what I've done and then takes the girl away for a chat.
    I called the guards and told them what's going on and within minutes they were on the scene.
    She had no nct, a learners licence and no l plates but for some reason the police weren't really interested.
    Phoned up the insurance company and lodged my claim against her.
    Then the investigator from quinns (my insurance) rang me to say she is putting an injury claim in and denying liability.
    I was lucky that quinn weren't stupid and flat out refused.
    This lasted approx 2 years and then eventually neither of us got a cent.
    So I repaired my car out of my own pocket and suffered ****e premiums due to the open claim.
    Couldn't believe it when I was told it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Why didn't you counter claim bear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

It's pure comedy gold watching this years Fire Brigade responses to any RTA. Three, sometimes 4 engines rush to the scene..even for a fender bender. Roads get closed, the whole nine yards.....lol. Ever wonder why? They now bill for attending. So someone is picking up the tab. Usually an insurance company. Lolz again. Even the bloody fire-brigade is milking the insurance culture. Beats sitting in the station polishing your pole I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Having relayed the story of my more recent "incident", I'll counterbalance that with one from 3 years ago when cycle racing up in Newry. Can't recall what happened but reports were I was not at fault. Suffered a broken wrist, the other elbow was also broken along with the jaw plus 2 fractures in the sinuses, 2 in the temple, 2 in the eye socket 1 in the neck, 1 in the back. Was unconscious for 30 minutes suffering a traumatic brain injury. Also for good measure swallowed my tongue (not literally, but it blocked my airway - fortunately medics were on the scene within a couple of minutes and got me breathing again)

I claimed medical expenses under a couple of insurances (one specific to cycling and the other my private health insurance), but was still a few grand out of pocket at the end of the day. Never even dreamt of claiming anything else - just considered it a "racing incident" and tried to get on with rebuilding my life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

thebaz wrote: »
    well done to Judge in ruling correctly and shame on Ms Saveljeva and her legal team -

School games are part of growing up - accidents happen in all walks of life including school life - disgraceful action by Saveljeva , but well done Judge in maintaing some fun in education .

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-cant-ban-games-in-school-judge-tells-mother-of-girl-6-injured-during-game-of-chase-35591576.html

The headline below that article is hilarious

Nurse called 'skankhole' by driver loses €75,000 claim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why didn't you counter claim bear?

I think I was probably naive and stupid. Plus this was around the time the recession was hitting and my job was on the line so I had a fair few worries going on.
    Damage wasn't too bad, needed a new wing and wishbone but fairly peeved off about it.
    Looking back I should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The headline below that article is hilarious

Nurse called 'skankhole' by driver loses €75,000 claim

took me a sec to find it.
    Hilarious, well worth a read. photo taken on her way out I reckon.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/nurse-called-skankhole-by-driver-loses-75000-claim-35591578.html

Groarke is developing a reputation as the scourge of the spurious claims.
    Hat tip to him.
    And the bus driver!

Advertisement