Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation Events

Options
  • 30-03-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

As this is currently topical...

Has anyone suffered injury or loss due to another's negligence and not made a claim?

I was bumped into by a car behind at about 1-2mph in heavy traffic. It would appear that I missed out on an easy few thousand euro.:mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

What is that in kph op?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I let my remote control fall on my foot and now my big tow is sore.

Where do I claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I got knocked over by a car a few months ago when I were out running. They was trying to break the red light.

Wasn't going fast, so I only got a few bad bruises. They drove on without stopping, didn't bother following it up. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

not yet wrote: »
    I let my remote control fall on my foot and now my big tow is sore.

Where do I claim.

Manufacturer of the TV

Where ever you last washed your hands for using soap that makes your hands unusually slippery

Manufacturer of whatever you were sitting on at the time for creating too much of a drop for the remote to fall

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was slammed into from behind at 100km/h. Guy did it quite deliberately. He had closed up behind me probably to less than a metre 3 time previously. Then he presumably misjudged it, and hit the back of my car. Of course I slowed down to a stop. He slammed into the back of me again. I got out to remonstrate - pretty much on adrenaline. He backed up. I stood in front of his car and he backed up again. I thought discretion was the batter part of valour and moved out of his way and he shot off. Fortunately I (quite literally) had his plate. I see a neurosurgeon tomorrow about my 3 slipped discs. Currently struggling to get much sleep. Also have neck and various other problems. I will be pursuing my claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Beasty wrote: »
    I was slammed into from behind at 100km/h. Guy did it quite deliberately. He had closed up behind me probably to less than a metre 3 time previously. Then he presumably misjudged it, and hit the back of my car. Of course I slowed down to a stop. He slammed into the back of me again. I got out to remonstrate - pretty much on adrenaline. He backed up. I stood in front of his car and he backed up again. I thought discretion was the batter part of valour and moved out of his way and he shot off. Fortunately I (quite literally) had his plate. I see a neurosurgeon tomorrow about my 3 slipped discs. Currently struggling to get much sleep. Also have neck and various other problems. I will be pursuing my claim.

That's a bit mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I smacked by phone off of my face opening this thread OP; See you in court!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blame Newton.

- He invented gravity

- And being in charge of the Royal Mint , he's loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Beasty wrote: »
    Did you call the Gardai? How do you prove that this guy did this? (even if you have his number plate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

hit by a car pulling out of a junction when i was on my bike, fell off but no real injuries, did not claim.

had a door opened on me by a car stuck in traffic, sent me flying off bike into a gap between parked cars and the wagon had the nerve to give out to me for not looking where i was going, did not claim.

had enough of the bike so bought a car, years of happy,carefree motoring until an old bat drove through a stop sign and i hit the side of her car. she gets out screaming at me that she had right of way cos she was going straight then she left the scene and claimed off me, insurance believed me cos she done a runner. I did not claim.

tripped over a cord and fell a over t down a flight of stairs, hurt my back, off work for two weeks with no loss of money as it was a ce scheme, did not claim.

so basically i could be rich now, but am an idiot.

now that i finally want to sue someone, the guys who broke my jaw, i find there is no point cos they are on the dole and have no money/assets so you can't get blood out of a stone.

no more mr nice guy, from now on am looking for a table leg to bang my knee off, or some other trival-life altering stupid thing i can do to make some money.

karma owes me lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I bust my ankle in hospital after blacking out due to internal bleeding seems I missed out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Broke my arm in a Dublin nightclub when I was in college. Slipped and fell on The dance floor. I was pissed and in heels. I didn't even think for a second that it was anyone's fault but my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Burnt my mouth after drinking a coffee from Starbucks I am currently waiting on my €50,000 claim. My lawyer says there is a good chance I'll get my compo in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Two car crashes, one as a driver and one as a passenger. As the driver I claimed for my car, it was wrote off, and a weeks pay for loss of earnings and to cover a&e. As the passenger, the driver claimed for his car and paid my hospital bill, suited me, I was fine.

I also crashed into someone and thankfully they were fine. They didn't claim, I paid for the repair of their car, job done. I wonder if it was karma, I didn't make any false claims and when it came around to me, a claim, false or otherwise, wasn't made against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

In september 2001 I was out in a nightclub in kerry and bouncers were chucking out a young lady when she reached back for a glass and threw it at them, missed them and glass hit me just above eye .
    I've a scar there to this day . .....

The following week I went on my holidays with a bandage around my head to Newyork to see my sister, ......let's just say thankfully this time I didn't get hit!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Elderly woman crashed into me wrote my car off old yoke not worth much she told me as we were waiting for the guards to arrive that she was coming from the hospital her brother had just died and she was not paying attention to the road really shook up

Serious pain down one side of my body for weeks after that but it was just an accident

1500 for the car and left it at that

Looking at some of the carry on with claims today I could have got tens of thousands

But thats not the way I was brought up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

My OH was rear-ended on the Naas dual carriageway around seven years ago. Has had a twingey neck ever since. Did not make an insurance claim. Didn't visited a doctor after the accident. I have no idea why. He has no idea why! I wish I was in his life then. I would have made him do both those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I was t-boned by a mechanic that forgot to pump the brakes on a van he had serviced. Took me clean off the road. Wrote off my car, the van he was driving and a brand new car on a forecourt were the accident happened. I had my car replaced but went no further because I very luckily only had a small bruise from the seatbelt and a burn on my top lip from the airbag. Could easily have been a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

markc1184 wrote: »
    I was t-boned by a mechanic that forgot to pump the brakes on a van he had serviced. Took me clean off the road. Wrote off my car, the van he was driving and a brand new car on a forecourt were the accident happened. I had my car replaced but went no further because I very luckily only had a small bruise from the seatbelt and a burn on my top lip from the airbag. Could easily have been a whole lot worse.

It must have been very difficult for you to come forward with that.

Its not your fault.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Degag wrote: »
    Did you call the Gardai? How do you prove that this guy did this? (even if you have his number plate)

Yes, once I had managed to calm down a bit I called them. Then took the licence plate to them. Took them a while to track him down, but they eventually got back to me. Apparently he admitted to have been in an accident but claimed he had blacked out and woke up in a ditch with no recollection of me! He had no answer when the guards presented his plate to him. He had also sold the car in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I have read quite a few thread on boards.ie lately & I now am suffering from headaches, lower back pain & my fingers are numb, I shall be seeing my legal representative soon, meanwhile I shall try n chill n go onto more relaxing internet forums like livelinks & stormtrooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

3 times I've been bumped in traffic. Twice there was no damage done, but others in my situation would have claimed for a new bumper and a whiplash claim each for myself and my wife.

The 3rd instance the back bumper was badly cracked. Again I could have had a new bumper and a pair of injury claims but instead I let the girl organise a replacement bumper for about £300, her boyfriend did bodywork so he was able to get a cheap part and did the spray job himself. The poor girl was only about 19 and was distraught. Partly because of the accident and probably because she was picturing her insurance premium exploding.

All in all I could be up about €45k in injury claims.

To make it worse, I'm on the receiving end of a bogus claim just like that. Reversed into a car in a car park at low speed. Did a bit of damage to the other person's bumper but they were perfectly fine, literally only a few mph of speed involved.

She initially said she was fine and would arrange a quote from a local garage to avoid going through the insurance. Called the next morning with a price of £500.

2 days later all communication stopped. A week later a solicitors letter arrived at my workplace.

She ended up charging £1400 for the car and getting a personal injury claim of £5k. And 2 years later I'm still suffering the effects on my insurance premium.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I was sitting in the front row at a wrestling event in Cork a couple of weeks ago and during one of the matches, one of the wrestlers was launched over the top rope without warning and landed on top of me!

I had a sore collarbone for a few days after. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

As this is currently topical...

Has anyone suffered injury or loss due to another's negligence and not made a claim?

I was bumped into by a car behind at about 1-2mph in heavy traffic. It would appear that I missed out on an easy few thousand euro.:mad:

Taxi once drove through a red light and I ended up on the bonnet of his car for a few meters. While it frighted the life out of me and I was very shaken for a long time (as was the driver in fairness) and other motorists gave me their number and took mine (and called me later) in case I wanted to report it I wouldn't. Apart from being shaken there was nothing else wrong with me so no need to report it and potentially cost the man his livelihood, or at least increase his insurance costs which are already extortionate.

I once walked into an Xtra Vision store and the rug that was placed at the door had a bulge or bump in it (which was a potential trip hazard). A woman was standing there and pointed it out to me and said you should trip over that and put in a claim. I just looked at her and then straightened it out, to me this highlighted the mentality some people have when it comes to compensation payouts and I was just a child at the time.

There have been other things as I remember people telling me you should claim for that but as far as I was concerned it was me who fell, bumped into something or whatever the case may be and I firmly believe in personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

My dog bolted out of the house one day when I opened the front door. I chased after him and tripped on the crappy tarmac patched road outside the house. I had my keys in my hand and landed on top of it. Bruised ribs and fracture in my right hand. 3 months off work (who paid me despite me being a contractor).

The worst part was learning to fap left handed. Didn't feel comfortable mentioning that in court so I didn't pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rathevan

A car pulled out as I was driving around a shopping centre car park a few years ago. I had my 6 month old baby in the car and she hit the door beside him. She was only a young girl and nearly died when she seen the baby in the car. I ended up having to try and calm her down. My son never even woke up. She paid for the minor damage that was done to my door and I was perfectly happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Was driving to oxegen years ago and a guy rear ended me on the dual carriageway, there was a pile up of traffic and he failed to stop, he was also on the way to oxegen. Got out just bumper damaged so haggled with him for a few minutes and settled on 70 euro cash, and drove on.

Was in a mates car that got clipped by a car overtaking and we ended up flipped over in a ditch, will never forget it, we were ok just shuck up a bit didn't make a claim.

I recently renewed my insurance which had gone up even though I had another years no claims, I was told this was due to the increasing amount of claims made by the general population, so technically we are all paying for other people's​ claims, which is f*uckin bullshi*e, In order to be on the right side of this deal you needs to be claiming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Some d1ck drove over me and smashed my spine.

I literally had solicitors cold calling me wanting to represent as the claim would have been huge.

Given that I was told I may never walk again, but I am now able to walk by myself, I gave the 2 fingers to the claim culture.

That said, because of my experience, I do have a chip on my shoulder when I hear about 20k payouts for a sore knee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Rear ended by an aul fella. Very slow, slight mark on bumper, nowt else wrong. Shook hands at the scene and left it at that. Rear ended again there recently by a young lad. Damage done to car, claimed via his insurance for the repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love the replies here, it gives me hope for this country.

You're good people here, not chancers.

Us micks have a terrible reputation worldwide for dishonesty.

And like every stereotype, it is based in some truth. :(

Advertisement