Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Do we have 4 days of listening to the words "momentum" and "bouncebackability" to look forward to?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭GolfPar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's fairly mental that we won't see coverage of the 3rd round of a major until the leaders have finished the 7th hole. Augusta would want to get with the times. Guaranteed the horn will blow 10 minutes after the coverage starts too.

This new Sky commentator Ali Whitaker is adding absolutely nothing to the coverage. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't bring in the likes of Jamie Spence or Gary Murphy for the majors. Those lads seem forever destined to only cover events in the likes of Kenya and Czech Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Totally agree and don't forget Boxall. I like Laura Davies, McGinley has improved a lot too. David Howell is quite good when they have him on.

Whitaker and Coltart are awful.

• Advertisement

I think Coltart is far better as an on-course commentator

I don't I've ever seen him do that but in the box he's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Are there actually any Sky golf personnel in LA this weekend for an actual major?

Andrew Coltart seems to have been dumped into a lone ranger nightshift type role at 3am after 3 hours of US coverage. Even Henni got bumped into commentary earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Has Claude Harman III always been on the Sky coverage? I thought he was really interesting last night.

Henni was mentioned in the post above, she has one of the most relaxing voices in the world.

I thought it was odd that they switched to American commentary in the middle of main coverage, first time I can ever remember them doing that during a major.

I really think Sky have taken their eye off the ball with their coverage, the standard of commentary seems to have deteriorated. Often the depth of the analysis seems to be that it's "not someone's day" etc. Quite often they don't appear to have anyone onsite either, which doesn't help matters.

I'd hoped we wouldn't ever hear from Claude Harmon again since he's not been on much the last couple of years. Surprised Sky have brought him back after he made a such a tit of himself in that interview a few weeks back. Also, whoever decided to add Henni to the main commentary team should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Don't want much golf these days, but watched the lare last night. God, how do ye put up with the adds every (it feels like) 5 minutes. It really spoils it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would love if Nick Dougherty stopped calling Robert MacIntyre ‘Bob’. He doesn’t go by ‘Bob’.

It’s like they’re trying to create this ‘great craic’ persona for him with the name Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I see McGinley is commentating over in the states, think he's a loss for Sky even with his McIlroy grudge. Sky are missing a big name player involved also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘Xander Show-Flayyyy’

😩😩😩

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I like Ali Whitaker, she brings a bit of freshness to it. I have her over Henny all day long.

Nick Dougherty just annoys the hell out of me. The little smug ****** - according to himself he's been there done that, can play every shot and knows about everything golf. Yet the only way he can make a bob out of golf is by talking s** about it on telly.

Generally speaking I prefer the older guys from the European Tour. Murray, Boxall and the likes. They have their old guy moments but at least they don't take themselves so very seriously.

Which brings me to McGinley. Fair play to him he's had nice career with a fair few achievements but will he ever stop letting us know about it? He's as bad a Monty. And his little staccato yak isn't very nice to listen to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Henni is absolutely awful on commentary, find her fine in the studio, sounds like she finds everything hilarious when on commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Agree with all this. It's quite staggering that Sky have Henni in the commentary booth. She talks in banalities and provides no insights. Murphy, Spence or Holmes would be far better. And she seems to be paired up with the awful Coltart.

Think part of the reason for this is that McGinley and now Dougherty are sharing their time between Sky and CBS/golf channel.

Sky golf commentary really needs a big shake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

But who though? Sky will stick with tradition and try get someone english who won't go too much against the grain, and I just can't think of any semi retired or retired pro's that fit the bill. Maybe westwood but he's still out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

I think McGinley is a class commentator tbh.

He's highly informative, obviously does his homework, knows where irons should land or the lines putts should run to maximise their chance of scoring and also relates the back stories of some of the players when they're relevant. Top class!!!

• Advertisement

Not only that but unlike the rest of them he's not calling every 20 footer a real chance of a birdie for Rory. Then there was that hole where Rory hit a putt that rimmed the hole and the rest of them were saying how unlucky Rory was and he said that Rory was lucky because if it didn't rim the hole he'd have been at least 15 feet away for his next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

God I love Iona Stephen

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

Anyone else notice how the older commentators on sky have a lot of like, saliva clicks, like theyre checking chewing gum really loudly, and you can hear them breathing through the mic. Have to watch it muted now coz it's actually wrecking my head, not sure if it's my TV but I'm pretty sure it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Think you need a bit a bit of a run or a walk there if that annoys you. Or maybe a good drink!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

Loads of players putting it into the water on 12 and Rory hits it on green and 30 feet from hole and McGinley is all that’s a bad shot. No pleasing him

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gaa goes

Paul McGinley is going to be part of the NBC golf team for next week's Hero World Challenge after lead analyst Paul Azinger didn't have his contract extended with the US broadcaster post this year's Ryder Cup.

I used to hate McGinley on commentary but he's improved a lot. He's not afraid to criticise a shot, whether it's just a bad one or the thinking behind it.

How was McGinley on the US broadcast at the weekend? I didn't catch any of it but I'm intrigued to see how he gets on over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I've really liked the Sky Sports team over the past few years tbh. Coltart and Murray doing the core commentary is a winner. Getting rid of Faldo and Montgomerie was a bonus (Faldo was fine in small doses, but Monti was and always will be a complete dose).

Beem, Riley, McGinely all very good in my opinion. Stand out for me though is Laura Davies.

• Advertisement

I can't listen to Coltart, he's nearly as bad as Mark Roe.

Advertisement