Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I like McGinley but sometimes he's way off the mark, earlier he said McIlroy "spread eagled the field" on Thursday. He was ahead by one shot ffs

Hennie continues to be the worst part about Sky's coverage, she's atrocious and has shown zero improvement since she started a few years back. Get her off my TV please.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

You give poor Henni a hard time!

McGinley's sense of self-importance has gone up a notch since he's been invited onto the Golf Channel to shoot the breeze with Chamblee.

Had to laugh at Coltart last night referring to Cam Young as Will Young! Happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You do seem to have a bit of a *hard on* for Henni! 😛

She's not great, but doesn't really matter, most of them aren't great, and she's just another in a long line. I remember Sarah Stirk used to really annoy me on the old Setanta golf channel.

Don't get to watch as much golf now, so just want to see the shots, do think it's more enjoyable when they're more knowledgeable in the studio, especially when they're constantly cutting back due to US commercials.

Hopefully they'll expand this Rolex hour malarkey for the Open when they're in total control of the feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nick Dougherty has just watched McIlroy drive his ball on the par 5 into the rough. He has just watched him chop his second shot out into the fairway. He has just watched him hit a great 3rd shot into 3 feet.

"McIlroy waits to take his putt for an eagle" .....

He's so clueless. Like many of the sky sports commentary team. More concerned with hyperbole than actually knowing what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It was Coltart, and he messed up later in the round as well with Rory's birdie on 17 where he played a lovely wedge in the rough that released forward to the pin. Coltart thought he had a putt for an eagle!! FFS..

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

It was one of the most exciting evenings watching golf. Fair play to Coltart, he almost ruined it for me. He is such a dose. The eagle/birdie mix-up is bizarre. Is he a bit special?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Between the Rory love in and Laura Davies, LIV golf will get a lot of followers after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Do people have a problem with Laura Davies? I think she's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Certainly better than Coltart and McGinley anyway

She sucks the life out of everything she encounters.

I find Laura quite good, I remember when she was first on years ago she was fairly poor but she's improved massively since. Unlike a few others I could mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Coltart is shocking, he hast done it this week but last week he called a birdie an eagle twice. I mean come on! you have more information than us and we are sitting on our couches!

Laura im not gone on but would take her over Coltart and Murray is starting to annoy me.

Brad Faxon is a breath of fresh air when he is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Watching Laura Davies play golf shots is the final straw

Between her and the love in for Fitzpatrick and Rory

LIV will get more followers than watching this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

McGinley going on about how many chickens killed a day now

Is there a reason the Sky commentators just point-blank refuse to pronounce Xander Schauffele’s surname correctly

It’s Shoff-Lee .. SHOFF-LEE

Not Show-Flayyyy

Really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Davies is quite boring and monotone.

Ya she is - She actually is somewhat insightful and not clichè ridden like some others, but her tone just doesn’t do it for me at times. Not sure if she can actually do anything about that

Ewan Murray still the best imo

• Advertisement

its so hypocritical they way the commentators talk about Richard Bland, whereas your DJ, Patrick Reed, Mickelson; they just can’t NOT mention LIV

Grow a pair and call out Richard Bland etc

Only following bits of the tv coverage of the DP world tour event in Germany today. Not an iota of a mention of the LIV Saudi tour.

I suspect the executives of the DP World tour have told the European tour world feed commentators that there shall be “zilch mention of anything Greg Norman, LIV or Saudi” in their broadcast. Sounds like Keith Pelley is a bit of a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So live coverage of the open starts at 6.30 in morning and runs all the way to 9.30pm!! 😃

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Really don't like the "Dame" neither - always seems grumpy or something,, rather watch some contributor that knows eff all about golf, than have to look at Laura's sour puss.

Mcginley can be some pain the hole, co commentator saying its good to see dechambeau being different off the tee, and mcginley lookwheres it got him, as byrson has been very good tee to green but missed some bad short puts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McGinley is a pure waffler.

Listening to him on the irish open he kept repeating how he was having dinner last night at 9pm and Arron Rai was out practicing. He mentioned it 3 or 4 times and even tipped Rai to win it because of his dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

McGinley has mentioned the wind has/may change “even a quarter” so many times already. It’s not even 11am. He’s obviously heard it somewhere and it’s his new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Haha ah jesus he's found his thing early that he'll harp on about now for the day as if he's a serial insight merchant

Even if it doesn't play up later, he'll still say 'as I was speaking about earlier, the wind here can cause confusion'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

he’s kicked it all off again now the tide is coming back in.

was also shocked to see it was only 10c this morning at 5am, in a Scottish coastal town facing the North Sea! “It’s warmer down south”. You don’t say!!

Advertisement