Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical Misandry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Candie wrote: »
    Jesus.

It must be agonizing to go through life constantly sizing everything up to see if you've been somehow wronged.

That is the modern world. If you don't want to support identity politics then don't.
    If you want to support identity politics for _some_people_ then prepare to be called on it. You are only responsible for you own opinions but you need to clearly delineate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Us lads must stick together in the face of identity politics.

psinno wrote: »
    That is the modern world. If you don't want to support identity politics then don't.
    If you want to support identity politics for _some_people_ then prepare to be called on it. You are only responsible for you own opinions but you need to clearly delineate then.

What I don't support, for anyone, is seeking out and seizing upon any opportunity to take offence or grabbing every opportunity to be outraged on the basis of imagined slights.

The level of paranoia in reading bigotry into every poorly phrased, misunderstood, barely glimpsed and not even read headline must be exhausting to live with.

Life is much better when you take on board that the world isn't out to get you. There's enough real stuff to get upset about without imagining it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You say 'its hard being a man' but its not. Because most people in real life arent weird sexist lunatics, and most men and women treat other men and women as they should,equally. Everyone just gets a bit over dramatic online and in newspaper pieces.
    Same goes with the tumblr overly PC crap and SJW, its almost entirely confined to the internet. Ive literally never heard anyone say 'safe space' or 'triggered' or the other words people complain about being sick of,said by a person in real life in a non-ironic way
    Has a woman ever told you you're man spreading? or mansplaining? Never happened me, always hear about it on the internet though

Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us are having a good time and getting along just fine with the opposite gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us are having a good time and getting along just fine with the opposite gender.

I dont understand why the internet seems to create such friction between genders, but seemingly it does. But go into any mixed gender workplace, college, class etc and everyone gets along just fine
    Id almost say the same thing about races as well

It's getting so bloody tedious, and it's starting to kill this forum.

And it's usually - as someone else already noted - the ones who go on about snowflakes and privilege and safe spaces who are the first to get their tails up if they get the slightest whiff of possible bias.

I poured my boss a cup of tea earlier, I must apologise for emasculating him and taking away his agency, while also apologising to Louise O'Neill for my rigid adherence to the caring and service orientated female stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm just glad that there are others who hate Peppa Pig. It wasn't the portrayal of Daddy Pig that I found offensive or the major problem... I'll often play the bumbling fool role to entertain my kids. It's the fact that Peppa is an absolute expletive.

My little girl turned into a wagon once she started watching it, it took us a few months to figure it out but once we replaced Peppa she went back to behaving normally.

Great theme song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

It's hard to be human

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ah, that stuff doesn't really happen in the real world for the vast majority of people.

In my world a cup of tea is still a cup of tea and all the overlays usually reside in the imaginations of the kind of person who doesn't really relate to the opposite gender in human terms, and has to construct a personally exonerating narrative as to why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lots of it around for sure and probably best ignored but here's one example that would suggest that it's something that's simmering not too far below the surface in certain folk today would crap like the following:

There is a lot of misogyny in the world. There probably is about as much misandry (recently I was told that tickets to a marketing event would be cheaper for women - one such example from my personal life) - only, more often than not, when you talk about the misandry you get hit with quite a lot of backlash, so people tend not to talk about it. This is a very common theme and is perpetrated by both men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

wakka12 wrote: »
    You say 'its hard being a man' but its not. Because most people in real life arent weird sexist lunatic

Saying it's hard to be a man doesn't make you a sexist lunatic despite what some might make you believe. The rates of suicide among young men in Ireland is evidence alone that being a man isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Saying it's hard to be a man doesn't make you a sexist lunatic despite what some might make you believe. The rates of suicide among young men in Ireland is evidence alone that being a man isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

It's getting so bloody tedious, and it's starting to kill this forum.

And it's usually - as someone else already noted - the ones who go on about snowflakes and privilege and safe spaces who are the first to get their tails up if they get the slightest whiff of possible bias.

I poured my boss a cup of tea earlier, I must apologise for emasculating him and taking away his agency, while also apologising to Louise O'Neill for my rigid adherence to the caring and service orientated female stereotypes.

If you don't like a thread why post in it?

...I poured my boss a cup of tea earlier...

You POURED your "boss" a cup of TEA??? You ravening Feminazibot, why didn't you just hack his plumsack off with a broken disposable razor?!?

red ears wrote: »
    If you don't like a thread why post in it?

She dropped in to tell us we couldn't talk about LON.

...Life is much better when you take on board that the world isn't out to get you. There's enough real stuff to get upset about without imagining it everywhere.

Well said. Remember what became of Captain Ahab! :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »

I'm more of a Townes Van Zandt guy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There is a lot of misogyny in the world. There probably is about as much misandry (recently I was told that tickets to a marketing event would be cheaper for women - one such example from my personal life) - only, more often than not, when you talk about the misandry you get hit with quite a lot of backlash, so people tend not to talk about it. This is a very common theme and is perpetrated by both men and women.

Well, they do because their examples are more like trivial annoyances than what most people would consider reasonable examples of misandry. Even your example above, I'm not going to be too critical in case you perceive it to be a backlash, but I wouldn't immediately consider tickets for a marketing event being cheaper for women an example of misandry, as I can think of many reasons why tickets for a marketing event would be cheaper for women. Was it a marketing event for a product aimed at women for example? I couldn't genuinely classify that as an example of irrational fear or hatred of men.

...I poured my boss a cup of tea earlier...

You POURED your "boss" a cup of TEA??? You silly milksop of a girl-child, you should have hacked his plumsack off with a broken disposable razor, not perpetuated yet more Servant-Oppression-Patriachy!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You're right - and thankfully this kind of nonsense isn't an issue for me in the workplace. But then I see women I get along perfectly fine with sharing LON articles on Facebook, or the mantra that domestic abuse is a gender issue, or talking about rape culture and I just wonder what's wrong with them? It's the #1 cult of our modern society.

Even watching Brendan O'Connor last night the two ladies who otherwise seem very intelligent and interesting always toe the party line on feminism. We had a stupid picture of Theresa May's legs and how they were dressed on the Daily Mail and it was seen somehow as sexist and women hating ... when in actual fact no straight man with any testosterone would be bothered reading such trash - it's clearly aimed at women!!!! They are artificially creating this divide. Why is everyone going along with this? Even George Hook wasn't allowed to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm outraged....Now where did I put my favourite sandwich???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

professore wrote: »
    Even watching Brendan O'Connor last night the two ladies who otherwise seem very intelligent and interesting always toe the party line on feminism. We had a stupid picture of Theresa May's legs and how they were dressed on the Daily Mail and it was seen somehow as sexist and women hating ... when in actual fact no straight man with any testosterone would be bothered reading such trash - it's clearly aimed at women!!!! They are artificially creating this divide. Why is everyone going along with this? Even George Hook wasn't allowed to comment on it.

It never would have occurred to me in a million years as a man to compare the legs of Sturgeon and May. Wasn't it written by Sarah Vine, Michael Gove's wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Can the title be changed to "hypothetical misandry" since there's none in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Life is much better when you take on board that the world isn't out to get you. There's enough real stuff to get upset about without imagining it everywhere.

You're only saying that to lull me into a state of false security and then BAM! you'll cut off my balls when I least expect it! Typical woman…

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'll give you fuckin' "human bond", you Tyrannosaur! When are you people going to apprehend that the path to Utopia comprises bringing EVERYONE together, and then assigning them labels and privilege points based on gender, skin-tone, religious beliefs, sexual preference and socio-economic status?? :mad:

Advertisement