Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical Misandry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

And Mother's Day was last week.
    Why isn't there a Father's Day, hmm? :mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭TheDavester

__Alex__ wrote: »
    And the men complaining about International Women's Day; did it escape their attention that there is an International Men's Day? :confused:

It doesn't really get the same level of coverage as the women's one imho -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Louise O Neill - the poster child for this hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

fatknacker wrote: »

Last year there were a brand or two saying how great mothers are on fathers day...........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Candie wrote: »
    This definitely happens but I always think they're insulting to both genders. The man in the cleaning product advert hasn't a clue how to clean a loo or something, and the woman steps in with a knowing expression and shows him how it's done. To me, that's equally patronising. He can't clean a loo because he can't figure out the most basic stuff, and the woman is an expert, because cleaning loos is what women do, after all...

Two words - strategic incompetence. Because Ninja, bee-yotch. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Winterlong wrote: »
    I blame The Simpsons and Peppa Pig.
    All men are basically either Homer or Daddy Pig.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Peppa pig is fvcking horrific for this, the way they portray and, lets be honest here, leave an impression on kids that dads are bumbling idiots is disgusting

Both peppa pig and the Simpsons are shows created by men. Internalised misandry? Not sure I've ever heard that one before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

It doesn't really get the same level of coverage as the women's one imho -

You know that can change, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Won't watch Manchester By The Sea because it would betray her feminist principals yet watches Heathers over and over.

You couldn't make it up.

psinno wrote: »
    Last year there were a brand or two saying how great mothers are on fathers day...........

Jesus.

I sent my dad a bottle of whisky on Mothers Day alongside gifts for my mother and grandmother.

I guess that means something too. I should probably have ignored him instead of being nice to him too. Obvious betrayal of my mother there.

It must be agonizing to go through life constantly sizing everything up to see if you've been somehow wronged.

There's a whole thread dedicated to LON where you can talk about her hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

There's a whole thread dedicated to LON where you can talk about her hypocrisy.

If the topic of misandry is being discussed on an Irish forum it's inevitable she'll be brought into it as she's the poster child for it so you can't expect people to not bring her into it.

If the topic of misandry is being discussed on an Irish forum it's inevitable she'll be brought into it as she's the poster child for it so you can't expect people to not bring her into it.

Pretty soon every thread on this forum will be about either LON or some other gender war crap. This thread is about an Independent headline, LON has her very own thread for the circular discussion of her every move. No need for two threads.

I'm not a fan of hers btw, but if you want her to have more influence and for more and more people to become aware of her, check out her columns, read her twitter, and generally familiarize themselves with her work, then talking about her on two threads is certainly better than talking about her on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Personally it's nonsense. There's equality and there's sexism but the headline on the Indo today really is disgusting and offensive.

"How NOT to hate your husband after having kids"

Can you imagine if it was how not to hate your wife.

It really is a disgusting rag.

Actually I see it's an Article that was in the Telegraph plugging some female authors book

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/not-hate-husband-having-kids/

She seems to just be flogging it to rags

I'm trying to, but I can't imagine too many people would give a shìte then either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm trying to, but I can't imagine too many people would give a shìte then either tbh.

There would be uproar from the wimminz and the dinner wouldn't be cooked.

Pretty soon every thread on this forum will be about either LON or some other gender war crap. This thread is about an Independent headline, LON has her very own thread for the circular discussion of her every move. No need for two threads.

I'm not a fan of hers btw, but if you want her to have more influence and for more and more people to become aware of her, check out her columns, read her twitter, and generally familiarize themselves with her work, then talking about her on two threads is certainly better than talking about her on one.

But it's a thread about misandry on an Irish forum so she's going to be brought into the discussion, you can't wade in and try to stop people from discussing her.

I'm actually happy people are reading her bile as it adds to the numbers who are seeing through both her and her followers guff. People like LON, Una Mullaly etc are actually shooting themselves in the foot with their hateful ramblings and if they lose the abortion vote they will have to look themselves in the mirror every day and realise their insane views led some people to vote against the eight as a protest vote against them and those numbers could very well lead to their side losing.

Brexit, Trump,and a No vote could very well make for a hat trick of shock results.

Militant feminists are shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Did anyone actually read the article the OP posted? It's about how to stop/prevent arguments that occur after the birth of a child. It's about how to support each other and not grow apart. It's written by a woman, for women, but it's critical of both genders. It specifically mentions things that women do that alienate their partners.
    I realised I was complaining about my husband’s lack of involvement in our child’s daily care while simultaneously pushing him away because I secretly felt I did a better job. Psychologists call this ‘maternal gatekeeping’—keeping Dad at bay by criticising or shutting him out, which can put off a hesitant father - sometimes permanently.

I started paying attention to how often I was making him feel inept, such as leaping in to correct how he dressed or bathed our daughter, or making offhand comments like “hello, that’s not how she likes her toast!” Now I involve him in everything, including every email regarding our child, from play date plans to teacher interactions.

By taking over most of the domestic work, I was also buying into what Dr. Clare Lyonette from the University of Warwick terms “the myth of male incompetence”—that men can’t do chores. It doesn’t take a Ph.D. to empty a dishwasher.

I'm wondering if the OP actually read the article or just read the title and had an outrage spasm.

BTW, it's actually not a great article. It's only got a couple of pieces of advice and really is the kind of crap that belongs in the indo, but it's not filled with misandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I dunno, I really did not like my partner when I was pregnant. Every little thing he did annoyed and irritated me and I'd try so hard not to get irritated but it's like hormones took over. I'd never let on to him that I felt that way but my god, I had to bite my tongue a lot. And it turns out it's actually quite natural during pregnancy and after pregnancy too, and it can be hormonal and can also be a sign of PND, which I had at the time. Now I'm guessing the article was not so much about the hormonal aspects, but it is actually quite common for new mothers to feel a bit resentful about their partners not having to go through the physical trauma of birth/pregnancy etc. It's not necessarily a hatred of men.

In my case in hindsight, he was just a bit of an idiot generally and wasn't helpful and that's why he irritated me, but apparently it happens in healthy loving relationships too :pac:

I obviously didn't read the piece so maybe it is all bull****, just giving my 2 cents on the title alone!

neonsofa wrote: »
    I dunno, I really did not like my partner when I was pregnant.

You probably wrecked his head too!

You probably wrecked his head too!

Didn't say otherwise!

Didn't say otherwise!

Oh, I'm not accusing you of anything but there would be an element in the female community who would be outraged and spitting fire if they overheard a man tell another man his pregnant missus was wrecking his head.

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm not accusing you of anything but there would be an element in the female community who would be outraged and spitting fire if they overheard a man tell another man his pregnant missus was wrecking his head.

For sure. I don't even have to be pregnant to be a wreck the head in fairness! It goes both ways, but in pregnancy it is not so much that he's being annoying and I am irritated by that, it is more he is doing absolutely nothing wrong and yet I still find him irritating. All he had to do was breathe and I'd be irritated. Although he isn't the best example cause hes an ex for a reason but my point was, when it comes to pregnancy and new mother hormones it may be less about hating all men and more just about the hormones making you irritable with your partner which is actually quite common- my nurse person told me as I sobbed out of guilt for feeling that way :pac:

For sure. I don't even have to be pregnant to be a wreck the head in fairness! It goes both ways, but in pregnancy it is not so much that he's being annoying and I am irritated by that, it is more he is doing absolutely nothing wrong and yet I still find him irritating. All he had to do was breathe and I'd be irritated. Although he isn't the best example cause hes an ex for a reason but my point was, when it comes to pregnancy and new mother hormones it may be less about hating all men and more just about the hormones making you irritable with your partner which is actually quite common- my nurse person told me as I sobbed out of guilt for feeling that way :pac:

I've nothing but respect for a pregnant woman. There's a human life in their belly growing all the time and getting a little bit emotional at times is both understandable and natural.

This bit isn't aimed at you but in recent times misandry is growing and growing in the media and it's getting beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Would they be more or less dumb than someone who got outraged about an article that had nothing to do with misandry?

Grayson wrote: »
    Would they be more or less dumb than someone who got outraged about an article that had nothing to do with misandry?

People can be outraged by what they want in my opinion & they might be right or wrong. The article didn't bother me it was the LON mention that made me discuss my opinions on misandry and I then had a nice discussion with a girl on what she went through in her pregnancy.

osarusan wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Yeah, it is.

I'd be happy to hear your reasons as to why it's not hard to be a man as it could lead to some good discussion. Are you male or female? Sorry for the personal question but it could help me understand your views a little better.

I'm always open to hearing differing opinions. Gotta head now but I'll check in tomorrow

I've nothing but respect for a pregnant woman. There's a human life in their belly growing all the time and getting a little bit emotional at times is both understandable and natural.

This bit isn't aimed at you but in recent times misandry is growing and growing in the media and it's getting beyond ridiculous.

But just because there is growing cases of misandry in the media doesn't necessarily mean all articles that mention disliking your husband or similar themes are actually an example of said misandry...if that makes any sense?

Like I obviously don't hate men, despite the example I gave above, and as you say, people can accommodate for crazy pregnancy emotions, so surely people can also see that sometimes it's just the author talking about their own feelings or their own partner etc and it's not a "you should all hate men" kind of thing. Where do you draw the line on what's misandry and what's just one random hormonal woman giving out about her irritating husband? Same as your example of a guy telling his mates his girlfriend is wrecking his head, that's not misogynistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah, it is.

I'd be happy to hear your reasons as to why it's not hard to be a man as it could lead to some good discussion. Are you male or female? Sorry for the personal question but it could help me understand your views a little better.

I'm always open to hearing differing opinions. Gotta head now but I'll check in tomorrow

It's not as though either men or women have any choice in the matter? Surely what is or isn't hard after that is only a matter of perspective based upon an individuals perception and processing of their personal experiences?

Personally speaking, I don't have anything I could think of worth complaining about, let alone scraping the bottom of the barrel to claim I'm the victim of misandry. It's facepalm inducing when some women do it, so I don't see any benefit in men trying to compete for victimhood status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sometimes it's hard and sometimes it's easy.

Right now I'm both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

fatknacker wrote: »

It's Sunday 18th June this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

It's not hard being a man. It's grand being a man. I'm a man and I'm grand. Stop reading stupid articles aimed at hormonal women and it'll get a bit easier straight away. :)

Advertisement