Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical Misandry

Options
  • 29-03-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Let's face it. It's hard to be a man.

When we are getting lost due to being too stubborn to ask for directions we are lopping the hands off ourselves with power tools because we refused to pay a builder.

Personally it's nonsense. There's equality and there's sexism but the headline on the Indo today really is disgusting and offensive.

"How NOT to hate your husband after having kids"

Can you imagine if it was how not to hate your wife.

It really is a disgusting rag.

Actually I see it's an Article that was in the Telegraph plugging some female authors book

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/not-hate-husband-having-kids/

She seems to just be flogging it to rags

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's the Indo.

What do you expect?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For a start it's not a headline, it's a supplement/feature.

And yes it's the Indo.

And yes, I could see a male-oriented magazine/feature/supplement giving tips on how not to hate your wife after having kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

There's definitely a growing touchiness amongst men about anything perceived to favour women recently (International Women's Day was one). Not everything is a challenge to your manhood.

That tagline is ridiculous though. Is there so little happening in the world that that tripe can be considered for a front page?

I imagine it's about being isolated at home and being jealous of your husband getting out of the house. Not hating him personally.

It says underneath something about it being important to get away from the kids, so I'm guessing that's the angle. Not OMG I hate my husband because I'm enslaved to his offspring, what a barsteward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

As long as she hates you from the kitchen it doesnt matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

After Hours. You used to be fun After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,091 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Candie wrote: »
    I imagine it's about being isolated at home and being jealous of your husband getting out of the house. Not hating him personally.

It says underneath something about it being important to get away from the kids, so I'm guessing that's the angle. Not OMG I hate my husband because I'm enslaved to his offspring, what a barsteward.

Agreed - clickbate basically.
    elefant wrote: »
    There's definitely a growing touchiness amongst men about anything perceived to favour women recently (International Women's Day was one). Not everything is a challenge to your manhood

Ah I don't know to be honest. I've noticed a theme over the last number of years in advertising for example. The husband is usually the hapless idiot and the wife is the competent and long suffering partner.

The recent Car Insurance Ad for example where the male driver messes up and the woman sorts it. Or another ad where the dad is walking around and can't find his keys, so the kids and wife all have a good laugh at him because they were on his belt or something.

It goes a little further in that in the same car advert, the wife actually looks at her next door neighbour (male) in a dreamy kind of way, while her husband (you know, the clutz) is right beside her.

If those kind of adverts were once in a while I wouldn't mind so much. But they are becoming more common.

And, it's becoming less and less subtle and to me and I guess its just getting a little tiring. I can understand if it doesn't bother others, I'm just saying it bothers me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

seamus wrote: »
    And yes, I could see a male-oriented magazine/feature/supplement giving tips on how not to hate your wife after having kids.

Not a hope, you're living in la la land if you think the reverse would fly. You couldn't even put on a crisp ad that says "Are you staring at my crisps?" without getting in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

There's definitely a growing touchiness amongst men about anything perceived to favour women recently (International Women's Day was one). Not everything is a challenge to your manhood

And the same tetchy people will usually be the first to go on about snowflake SJWs and the like. The irony. :pac:

The OP kinda seems like a pisstake though!

everlast75 wrote: »

Ah I don't know to be honest. I've noticed a theme over the last number of years in advertising for example. The husband is usually the hapless idiot and the wife is the competent and long suffering partner.

This definitely happens but I always think they're insulting to both genders. The man in the cleaning product advert hasn't a clue how to clean a loo or something, and the woman steps in with a knowing expression and shows him how it's done. To me, that's equally patronising. He can't clean a loo because he can't figure out the most basic stuff, and the woman is an expert, because cleaning loos is what women do, after all.

Same with any stupid stuff like booking a hotel room etc. Women excel at mundane chores, is the message, obviously the guy has never had to learn - probably because he's got more important stuff to think about than the sparkle of his toilet.

I read somewhere that the old show Home Improvement showed the husband up as an incompetent who was incapable of the most basic chores, but the reality is that he was a man with his own tv show, who had time to pursue his hobbies and to whom other men looked up, whereas the only area the wife excelled in was cleaning the house or running chores, but she wasn't considered to be patronized at all.

I think we can all agree that adverts generally take us for gullible fools, from the shaving foam that has men covered in beautiful women to the anti aging cream that'll do the impossible. It's all insulting, it's just insulting in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

everlast75 wrote: »

I blame The Simpsons and Peppa Pig.
    All men are basically either Homer or Daddy Pig.

Candie wrote: »
    This definitely happens but I always think they're insulting to both genders. The man in the cleaning product advert hasn't a clue how to clean a loo or something, and the woman steps in with a knowing expression and shows him how it's done. To me, that's equally patronising. He can't clean a loo because he can't figure out the most basic stuff, and the woman is an expert, because cleaning loos is what women do, after all.

Same with any stupid stuff like booking a hotel room etc. Women excel at mundane chores, is the message, obviously the guy has never had to learn - probably because he's got more important stuff to think about than the sparkle of his toilet.

I read somewhere that the old show Home Improvement showed the husband up as an incompetent who was incapable of the most basic chores, but the reality is that he was a man with his own tv show, who had time to pursue his hobbies and to whom other men looked up, whereas the only area the wife excelled in was cleaning the house or running chores, but she wasn't considered to be patronized at all.

I think we can all agree that adverts generally take us for gullible fools, from the shaving foam that has men covered in beautiful women to the anti aging cream that'll do the impossible. It's all insulting, it's just insulting in different ways.

Excellent post!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Winterlong wrote: »
    I blame The Simpsons and Peppa Pig.
    All men are basically either Homer or Daddy Pig.

Peppa pig is fvcking horrific for this, the way they portray and, lets be honest here, leave an impression on kids that dads are bumbling idiots is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Let's face it. It's hard to be a man.

No it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

That tagline is ridiculous though. Is there so little happening in the world that that tripe can be considered for a front page?

My thoughts exactly. The fact that they have space for that shíte on the front page is worse than the nature of the shíte itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

And the men complaining about International Women's Day; did it escape their attention that there is an International Men's Day? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

There's definitely a growing touchiness amongst men about anything perceived to favour women recently (International Women's Day was one).

Probably doesn't help that International Womens Day had a boycott of white mens stores as part of it this year (every year?).

__Alex__ wrote: »
    And the men complaining about International Women's Day; did it escape their attention that there is an International Men's Day? :confused:

it didn't - but us dumb men forgot when it was and were just too stubborn to ask anyone for help ;)

__Alex__ wrote: »

Is that the thing that was banned from some UK university campus last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

osarusan wrote: »
    No it isn't.

it's hard in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

psinno wrote: »
    Probably doesn't help that International Womens Day had a boycott of white mens stores as part of it this year (every year?).

There are some very serious issues that disproportionately affect men you know, would you not get annoyed about them?

I can't find ANYTHING about a boycott of white men's businesses with a google. Are you referring to the campaign to encourage women not to buy anything as part of the strike for repeal? Are you that far into your victim complex that you read that and extrapolate that it must be something aimed at white men? Or did you just hate read someone's tumblr where that was suggested to her 45 followers and decide it was a big thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

psinno wrote: »
    Is that the thing that was banned from some UK university campus last year?

Dunno. Who cares if some university bans it anyway? How would that even work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

413077.jpg

I can't find ANYTHING about a boycott of white men's businesses with a google.

Probably because it was phrased as only shop in non white or female owned stores. It is effectually a boycott of shops owned by white men.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

VinLieger wrote: »
    Peppa pig is fvcking horrific for this, the way they portray and, lets be honest here, leave an impression on kids that dads are bumbling idiots is disgusting

The makers of Peppa Pig got quite rightly roasted for their portrayal of Daddy Pig as an incompetent bumbling fool a while back so the more recent episodes have cut out all that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

seamus wrote: »
    For a start it's not a headline, it's a supplement/feature.

And yes it's the Indo.

Give one example that isn't breitbart or alt-right - i.e. one example in the mainstream media.

Neyite wrote: »
    The makers of Peppa Pig got quite rightly roasted for their portrayal of Daddy Pig as an incompetent bumbling fool a while back so the more recent episodes have cut out all that crap.

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

:pac:

Freudian slip there wha?

I do love my rashers...

Advertisement