Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what games did you play when you were a child?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Heads and Volley's. Soccer with 3 or more people and 1 goal. Goalie against the rest basically, 1 point for scoring a goal but it had to be from a header or a volley. Goalie gets a point for catching the ball, or a wide. I spent most of my summers playing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Does anyone remember Ghost Castle? It was a 3D board game with a glow in the dark skull you used to put down the chimney. It came out at different parts of the board and would knock you or your opponent over. It was the best fun ever. No one was safe and you never knew who would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Manhunt. I think the rules were something like:

You were split into 2 teams. Both teams split up. One team came up with a word. Each person in the team was assigned a letter of the word. And then the other team had to hunt down members of the team with the letters and beat them up until they told them what their letter was. Once they had every letter and put them together to make the word they won. Or something like that.

We lived in a rough estate :pac:
    Nice! Almost Countdown + violence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

We used to play knick knack but with a twist.

We would steal our mams sewing thread (black was the best). We would then tie it to the door knocker and retreat to a bush.

You could them pull the thread and knock on the door. I was brilliant because they would be waiting at the door for you to knock again, but as soon as they opened it you were not there. Surprisingly they rarely saw the string.

What used to get you caught was the mad laughter coming from the bush.

If you were lucky you would get a chase.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Anyone remember playing IRA where one lad was a brit and had to catch and beat a letter out of you everyone had a letter of a word, good fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When we started primary school, there was a grass area next to the yard, we were allowed into.
    Day 2 and a game of bulldog started. One fella in the middle tries to catch as many as he can when everyone runs from one end to another. Eventually those in the middle can form a human chain and snare quite a lot.
    One kid got absolutely clotheslined one day, it was like something from the WWF, he flipped in the air and everything.
    The game was banned and you weren't allowed in the grass after that.
    Even at the age of 7 I remember thinking "yeah, that's probably for the best".

The school yard had a wall with some drainage holes for the elevate grass area outside the school windows. We invented a game called "corks". Started off with kicking a bottle top through the hole, the further away you were the higher the score, this eventually evolved into penalties, with goals being made between the two holes. We had leagues and knock out tournaments organised and everything it was huge. A Country Spring 3 litre cork, with a lucozade brown cork inside was the ideal, it was like a hockey puck. Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do children still try to set ants on fire with a magnifying glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Takes too long so now they just use aerosols and a lighter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

unless its an app on a phone I doubt it. you need time on your hands and an element of boredom to come up with creative uses for the power of nature :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Lego ... so much Lego ... and He-Man of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Pretty much every variation of games mention here plus

Hop Scotch

&

and Ultimate Hop Scotch ..like normal Hop Scotch except 20 the last 3 were around the corner cause we ran out of foot path...Try land your stone on those last three ........Oh the cheating and the fighting such fun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Anyone remember playing IRA where one lad was a brit and had to catch and beat a letter out of you everyone had a letter of a word, good fun

That's a game that has been mentioned alot on this thread but I have never heard of it before. I'm living outside the major cities so maybe it was a game that was popular more in the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

tip the can

We used to punch a hole into two tin cans and tie a long piece of string on to the ends of them. I would walk as far as I could up the footpath depending on how long the string was talk I to the can and my friend would hear me at the other end. It was the nearest thing we got to having a phone.

Two other games we played were Hide And Seek and Tag. Hide And Seek would last for hours as there could be up to ten people playing and they would hide up trees, in bushes and old buildings. As for Tag you would count to 20 and everyone would run around our estate or field and you would chase them and shout Tag when you touched them you would do this until everyone was Tagged. Great games but looking back now you had to be pretty fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Telling the truth and no-one believing.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Telling the truth and no-one believing.
    Was that a game? If so what was it called.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.
    Ah go on try me.

Loved Kerbs and rounders and bulldog and variations of bulldog which I just can't recall now- boys and girls played all of these games

We played Leap Frog but can't remember the rules of that, but it did involve leap frogging over someone else.

Also, Beds; like hopscotch except there were 10 squares.

O'Grady says.

Hide'n Seek and loads of variants of that game but can't remember now what the games were called now or how to play then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Hide and seek chasing, at night especially. Coming home red faced, stinking of sweat, heart pounding in your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We used to play a game where there was one ball and two teams. Team 1 was whoever had the ball, and team 2 was everyone else who piled on to the person with the ball and forced them to drop it

It was very very violent, and great fun.

Amazing how times have changed from when I was a kid which was a very long time ago. I look around now especially in my neighbourhood and I don't see any young kids playing many of the games mentioned on here. It just shows how technology has taken over our kids from a heaith and fitness perspective and also it's sad to see many of the games we played growing up not been played anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Egg Butter Sugar Tea, with all the dances and that, and Walkie Talkie Laughing Movie, where you had to freeze when whoever was 'it' turned around, and Dead Man Walking, where you had to creatively die when someone killed you, and Murder in the Dark, which later involved a detective but can't remember how..

May I ? or something where you had to ask to take a step, and we played Four Star Pizza which was basically off-ground but you had to yell Four Star Pizza as you leaped from one bit of furniture to the next. Load and loads of 'pretend' games as well, they could go on for weeks with the same developing stories / characters

Egg Butter Sugar Tea, with all the dances and that, and Walkie Talkie Laughing Movie, where you had to freeze when whoever was 'it' turned around, and Dead Man Walking, where you had to creatively die when someone killed you, and Murder in the Dark, which later involved a detective but can't remember how..

May I ? or something where you had to ask to take a step, and we played Four Star Pizza which was basically off-ground but you had to yell Four Star Pizza as you leaped from one bit of furniture to the next. Load and loads of 'pretend' games as well, they could go on for weeks with the same developing stories / characters
    Dead Man Walking is one I remember well as was Walkie Talkie but we didn't have Walkie Talkies when we were growing up but my kids had them. We used two tin cans and a long piece of string attached to each other and one of us would speak into the can and the other would be able to lisen by putting the other can to your ear. It was great fun.

Advertisement