Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what games did you play when you were a child?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

callaway92 wrote: »
    What was this again? I remember the name and would've played it but can't remember what it was.

In our school there was one in the middle with everyone else running from one end of the yard to the other and the one in the middle had to try and tag them and then they had to tag the others until every was and you started over with whoever was tagged last going in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

gramar wrote: »
    In our school there was one in the middle with everyone else running from one end of the yard to the other and the one in the middle had to try and tag them and then they had to tag the others until every was and you started over with whoever was tagged last going in the middle.

That was it.
    In our variation, the ones who were 'on' had to catch and hold the runners for a three count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Knick nacking
    Man hunt
    Donkey
    Headers and volleys
    Knockouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Knock a Dolly
    45 (fancier hide and seek)
    Rounders
    Hide and seek
    Red Rover (violent)

and..... Mc Donalds: we were bog children so pretended we worked in McDonalds. A field was our Mc Donalds with dock leaves being our hats and also burgers. Bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Cops N' Robbers

Cowboys and Injuns

Red Rover

Hop Scotch

Handball

Football

Slow Bike Race

Marbles.......nearest the wall

Knick Knack

Kiss Chasing

Spin The Bottle

Scuting on the Coal Trucks to nick some free Coal :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hide the Sausage
    Soggy Biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

gramar wrote: »

Ah yes, that's it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Other than the usual...
    We had a building site near us for a couple of years while they made a new estate - we use to play all manor of games there.  The number of injuries we got were horrific though. 
    We also spent a hell of a lot of time getting concors, yet we hardly ever played concors (Im not sure what we did with them now)
    Building dens (that usually lasted less time than we spent constructing them)
    Climing - I remember a lot and a lot of climing, trees, buildings, anything tall really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Curbs

Sneakdog (can't remember where the name came from) - Everyone has 3 lives, keeper has 5. Miss or the keeper catches without bouncing you go in nets. Score and keeper loses a life. First one to lose all lives has to stand in goals while everyone takes turns drilling shots at their arse from the penalty spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Outdoors: Football.
    Indoors: Football and a game called 'blame the sister for the broken vase/window.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Marbles, all varieties of games, including trying to put them into a small mud hole.
    Soccer in the street. There were no cars. We bought a plastic ball. You could only play if you had contributed. If it burst we heated up a ring on the cooker, heated a knife, and did plastic surgery. We were plastic surgeons before Holywood copied us.
    "Three and in" was a favourite soccer game. Score three goals and you would be goalkeeper. The goal was our gate.
    Tennis in the street. This seemed to break out after Wimbledon for some reason.
    Rounders. There was a ring in our road with a metal electric pole in the footpath painted black for the bottom couple of feet, and it was an ideal wicket.
    All sorts of stuff in the fields behind the houses, cowboys and indians, gangs, climbing chestnut trees to the very top and looking down on the houses.
    In winter filling milk bottles with water and pouring it on the footpath outside the house late at night when it was freezing. It was a brilliant slide next morning.
    "Helping" the milkman. We would be out in the summer at about 7 am offering to deliver milk to houses. It think it made us feel like we could do adult work.
    Bicycle races, fast and slow races. And bicycle trips. We once cycled from Blackrock to Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Pitch and Toss, or pitching pennies, or it had various different names.
    We each threw a 2p coin towards a wall in turns, whoever got theirs to land closest to the wall was the winner, and took the coins. Sometimes there was a rule that the coin had to hit the wall, so there was a good bit of finesse involved to make sure it didn't bounce back too far!

Football or tennis against a high wall, taking turns to hit shots. Guaranteed to drive the owner of the wall nuts as you had to go and ask for your ball back multiple times in a short space of time!

Building huts or dens in various places - carving out spaces inside thick bramble hedges; using pallets and "borrowed" building supplies on patches of wasteland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I grew up on a estate where our social life as kids revolved around our green. We used to play
    Tig
    Hide & seek
    Bulldog
    Rounders
    Relays
    Hop scotch
    Cowboys and Indians
    Football

The boys used to build there own go karts and of course us girls wanted a go at racing down the hill on them as well

Rounders
    Tennis
    An advanced form of The Floor Is Lava called The Grass Is Lava.

My cousin and I invented a game called Concussion, involving a SwingBall (those poles with a tennis ball on a string) where we would try to hit the ball so hard into one anothers head that it would result in the eponymous Concussion. The game in its early form was abandoned after I gave him a nosebleed and he gave me the headstaggers.

Boglin Tornado was another one, where one of us would hide at the top of the stairs and 'surprise' the other by pelting my collection of Boglins on the others head as they tried to get up the stairs. I had hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Konkers was another game we played . This was played mostly in the Autumn as we would go collecting chessnuts to play the game. What we would do is punch a hole in the chessnut put a string in through it and tie a knot at the end so that the string would stay on. You would swing the chessnuts at each other and which ever one smashed lost the game. Thinking about it know it was quiet dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Konkers was another game we played . This was played mostly in the Autumn as we would go collecting chessnuts to play the game. What we would do is punch a hole in the chessnut put a string in through it and tie a knot at the end so that the string would stay on. You would swing the chessnuts at each other and which ever one smashed lost the game. Thinking about it know it was quiet dangerous.

Ah yes...chessnuts...people crazy about chess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Knick knack. We got good at it and tied dental floss to the knocker of the door and ran away to hide, clutching the other end of the floss.
    No end of fun pulling the knocker and the grumpiest man in the house was opening the door every minute.

Ball against the wall: you played two tennis balls against the wall of a house, singing tunes such as 'Archie Balls', 'Chocolate biscuits down the lane', 'Please keep off the grass JR, to let SueEllen pass, JR, SueEllen's got a gun JR to shoot you up the bum JR', 'Chips for dinner, chips for tea, chips for all the family'.

Rounders, paths, IRA, Red Rover, Hide n Seek and Tip the Can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Ye i remember my mam telling me about Clackers or Knockers that were a banned toy in 1985 which were very like Konkers.

http://www.burlingamepezmuseum.com/bannedtoy/

My cousins lived near a Konker tree that had a swing. We also made a swing near where I grew up and I remember this lad that had a very low voice would always let out a really high pitched scream that was so unexpected whenever he was pushed on the swing. It makes me laugh even thinking of it :)

Another game we played was a game called Queeno. One of us would have a ball the size of a tennis ball we would turn our back to the other 6 or sometimes 8 people. We would throw the ball over our heads and you would have to guess who caught the ball. Before throwing the ball I would say Queeno, Queeno who has the ball is he big or is she small and then you would name the person who you think caught the ball. Whoever caught the ball would take their turn and you would have to go back and join the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Used to go up the fields and trespass onto farmers properties.

We'd have to sneak through the yard and touch the farmhouse back or front door without being seen.

Got caught eventually, started taking more and more risks and became sloppy. Ended up receiving a stern lecture from an authority figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Aah, the usual stuff ..... Cutting the tits off my sisters toy dolls. Tormenting kittens. Stamping on dead birds, to see the pretty things inside :)

Now, we play this game with ink blots .....

Rings was another game I played with my family. Two players would play. The game consisted of a board numbered 1to 10 and had hooks on it. You would have 5 rubber rings and throw them and whoever scored the most points would win. My dad would hang the board on the kitchen door. Handy if the weather was bad and you couln'd go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Lots we use to recreate the horse show, the Olympics, Wimbledon, hopscotch, skiping games, tag rounders etc. Inside drafts snakes and ladders, cutting out clothes for paper dolls, dressing up with handbags using net curtains to make a wedding dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

French skipping /elastics
    Bouncing two balls off of a wall to different rhymes, can't remember if there was a name for it.
    Swopping fancy pages/ erasers
    Red Rover
    What's the Time Mr Wolf?
    Mother May I?
    Knockadolly
    Building dens and mazes with hay bales in the field. Also building a tower with bales and busting up a few to jump off on to. I'd say the farmer loved us !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Another game we played was a game called Queeno. One of us would have a ball the size of a tennis ball we would turn our back to the other 6 or sometimes 8 people. We would throw the ball over our heads and you would have to guess who caught the ball. Before throwing the ball I would say Queeno, Queeno who has the ball is he big or is she small and then you would name the person who you think caught the ball. Whoever caught the ball would take their turn and you would have to go back and join the group.

Jeez, I remember this one as well. Few others mentioned that I forgot like Kick the Can and Knick Knack.

We used to play a very dangerous version of knick knack around Halloween where we knocked on the door and put bangers in the letterbox. Looking back it's shocking to think we did this as we could have caused serious fires and/or potentially killed somebody. We would (and probably should) never have been allowed out of our parents house if they knew what we were doing.

73Cat wrote: »
    French skipping /elastics
    Bouncing two balls off of a wall to different rhymes, can't remember if there was a name for it.
    Swopping fancy pages/ erasers
    Red Rover
    What's the Time Mr Wolf?
    Mother May I?
    Knockadolly
    Building dens and mazes with hay bales in the field. Also building a tower with bales and busting up a few to jump off on to. I'd say the farmer loved us !
    Yes building dens or what we would call camps with bails of hay. As soon as we would see the farmer cutting the grass we would go over and watch him. When he was finished we would go Into the field and start helping him build hay cocks which farmers would do mostly when I was young. We would play hide and seek and knock them. They were simple times back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Doctors and nurses with the girl nextdoor!

snaps wrote: »
    Yes one of my favourites as was Kiss Chase. I used to love playing the patient because the nurse would give the mouth to mouth and the odd tongue would slip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snaps wrote: »
    Yes one of my favourites as was Kiss Chase. I used to love playing the patient because the nurse would give the mouth to mouth and the odd tongue would slip in.
    It was more than kising we were doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

We played a game which we called "Kabudi" which I saw on TV once in a documentary about Asia and we adapted it into our own game where a ball is placed at one end of the "pitch" and you had to run past the other two (there were only three of us on our street) touch the ball and shout "Kabudi" and you get a point - the other players were allowed to rugby tackle you only (no tripping or grabbing feet) and if they could lay you on your back your turn was over

It was so much fun and imagine my joy when flicking through the Sky Sports channels late one night last year to find televised Kabaddi - and of course I hadn't a clue what was going on but the nostalgia buzz was magnificent

Advertisement