Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what games did you play when you were a child?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Hopscotch was another game we played. If you were lucky to get a piece of chalk to draw out the six numbered boxes on the foot path. You would have to hop on one leg starting off and then two and back to one to finish. I remember one of my sisters broke a stature of Holy Mary so she could use it as chalk to draw the course as we had no chalk. My mam wasn't a happy bunny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hopscotch was another game we played. If you were lucky to get a piece of chalk to draw out the six numbered boxes on the foot path. You would have to hop on one leg starting off and then two and back to one to finish. I remember one of my sisters broke a stature of Holy Mary so she could use it as chalk to draw the course as we had no chalk. My mam wasn't a happy bunny.

I played hopscotch with my kids on Saturday :) It was 8 squares.

snaps wrote: »
    It was more than kising we were doing!
    Now now.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I played hopscotch with my kids on Saturday :) It was 8 squares.
    Ah right great to see it'still been played. Used to hate when it rained as it would wash away the chalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody remember a game called Polio?

Was usually played in a driveway where one kid was at one end and the other kids were at the other end. You'd pick a subject, for example car brands, and the kid on his own would name car brands and then when it matched one of the other kids they would race other up and down the driveway?

Doesn't make much sense thinking back.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

73Cat wrote: »
    French skipping /elastics
    Bouncing two balls off of a wall to different rhymes, can't remember if there was a name for it.
    Swopping fancy pages/ erasers
    Red Rover
    What's the Time Mr Wolf?
    Mother May I?
    Knockadolly
    Building dens and mazes with hay bales in the field. Also building a tower with bales and busting up a few to jump off on to. I'd say the farmer loved us !

Plainey packet o' rinse-o :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I remember Polio, what a game!

There was also the Yellow Reg game or Mini Dig game while driving in the car.

Ush1 wrote: »

Was usually played in a driveway where one kid was at one end and the other kids were at the other end. You'd pick a subject, for example car brands, and the kid on his own would name car brands and then when it matched one of the other kids they would race other up and down the driveway?

The name sounds familar but I can't remember how we played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No I remember now. The other kids would list car brands one at a time and when it matched the one that the kid on his own was thinking of, he'd shout polio! Then said race would commence, with the winner taking his rightful position alone and being the shot caller.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

We played a game that I now realise must have been more parochial than nationwide or even known by those who lived a few miles away. Sadly when I now tell someone about it, it always ends with filthy comments and snickers due to its name: 'Pussy four corners'. Please someone who did not live in a South Dublin 60s suburb confirm you heard of it !!

The rules were simple. 5 people played. 4 in each corner of the front garden, one in the middle. The four kids had to swap places with each other without the person in the middle running to the empty corner first. If they got there first the person left with no corner was then in the middle and so it went on. Why it was call 'pussy four corners' was because of the way you let someone else in a corner know you wanted to swap places with them, so you put you hand out as if you were calling a cat for a treat and made that pish-wish-wish sound ye do to cats ... and then the two of you would leg it before the middle kid took your place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Kerbs - 2 kids stand on either side of the street and try and hit the opposite kerb, bonus points for doubles.

Hoods - Place an item into the hood of someone else without them noticing. Bananas were the ideal item because of weight distribution.

Steps - Step on someone's heel to knock their shoe off, if it falls off you can pick it up and throw it as far as you can without repercussions.

Classic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

We played the "What" game....basically involved walking around aimlessly, trying to come up with ways to get each other to say " what" and also avoiding saying the word " what".

Then we played " two for flinching" which was basically pretending to punch each other so that the other person would flinch, at which point, they got two of the best in the arm. sometimes, if the didn't flinch, you would let on they flinched anyway and pretend to give them the first of the two digs, the weaker ones always flinched at this point, opening them up to two of the best, only the strongest stared it down unflinchingly...

Yellow reg was another one: Upon seeing a a car with a yellow registration, you immediately shouted " yellow reg" , blessed yourself by touching your foot and your head with you hand , then preceded to thump ( in the arm) the nearest person to you who hadn't managed to bless themselves in time.

Occasional we would stand either side of the road and when a car was close to passing we would pretend to pull on rope across the road, generally the car hit the breaks and we scuttled off delighted with ourselves. there wasn't really a name for that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Frogeye wrote: »
    We played the "What" game....basically involved walking around aimlessly, trying to come up with ways to get each other to say " what" and also avoiding saying the word " what".

Then we played " two for flinching" which was basically pretending to punch each other so that the other person would flinch, at which point, they got two of the best in the arm. sometimes, if the didn't flinch, you would let on they flinched anyway and pretend to give them the first of the two digs, the weaker ones always flinched at this point, opening them up to two of the best, only the strongest stared it down unflinchingly...

Yellow reg was another one: Upon seeing a a car with a yellow registration, you immediately shouted " yellow reg" , blessed yourself by touching your foot and your head with you hand , then preceded to thump ( in the arm) the nearest person to you who hadn't managed to bless themselves in time.

Occasional we would stand either side of the road and when a car was close to passing we would pretend to pull on rope across the road, generally the car hit the breaks and we scuttled off delighted with ourselves. there wasn't really a name for that one...

So basically you spent your time bullying weaker people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Loved Ralivo(?) and Kerbs/Paths.

We also invented one called Crowd Control. We split up into 'hooligans' or 'police' and it just involved fighting each other with rolled up magzines or newspapers, usually after a token interlude of 'questioning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hoboo wrote: »
    So basically you spent your time bullying weaker people?

Its not bullying if you are giving as good as your getting.and 25 years later the same people are still my friends and while I can't say they are all mentally stable today , any instability was not caused by playing yellow reg or the what game!

Frogeye

We played another game called a leg and a duck. When my late dad would come In from work we would ask him for a leg and a duck. He would pick you up by one leg and one arm and swing you around until you shouted stop. There was eight in our family so it lasted quiet a long while. Whoever lasted the longest won. We played it outside in the garden as it was to dangerous to play inside the house in case you hit your head off a piece of furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Kick the can, kerbs, Simon Says and What Time is It Mister Wolf were played regularly. We also played something called "Sticky Jam" but I can't remember anything about it other than it involved running after people. We also played "IRA", and yes people wore balaclavas and everything.:eek:

Kick the can, kerbs, Simon Says and What Time is It Mister Wolf were played regularly. We also played something called "Sticky Jam" but I can't remember anything about it other than it involved running after people. We also played "IRA", and yes people wore balaclavas and everything.:eek:
    Kerbs was very familar and so was spin the bottle. Especially when the girls would play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tip the can, stuck in the mud,flush the toilet, ding dong ditch, IRA, hide and seek, rounders, british bulldogs, cluedo and monopoly when indoors

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Red Rover- where someone was "called" and try to break through a chain of children holding hands.
    Rounders .
    "Show-jumping" if the RDS horse show was on -we used to build jumps out of boxes etc.
    We did a lot of climbing/building dens/cycling everywhere.

Indoors: Monopoly, Scrabble, Buckaroo, Cluedo, card games like "Beggar My Neighbour" and "Sevens" (We had a family friend who was blind and a pure cardshark!!)

• Advertisement

Red Rover- where someone was "called" and try to break through a chain of children holding hands.
    Rounders .
    "Show-jumping" if the RDS horse show was on -we used to build jumps out of boxes etc.
    We did a lot of climbing/building dens/cycling everywhere.

Indoors: Monopoly, Scrabble, Buckaroo, Cluedo, card games like "Beggar My Neighbour" and "Sevens" (We had a family friend who was blind and a pure cardshark!!)
    There wasn't many indoor games around when I was young but as I got a bit older we started playing Draughts, Snakes and Ladders, Frustration, Connect Four, Ker Plonk and Operation where you would have to take the body pieces out without setting off the buzzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I take it tip the can is the same as 40 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Aw, I loved that game! We played that too. Also..

Kerbs
    Hopscotch (rarely)
    Forty-forty Home (basically tag with one specific bent lamp-post as Home)
    Sardines
    Piggy in the Middle (never liked that one, I was a rubbish jumper!)
    Red Rover (got banned in school)
    ..something about frogs. We'd all stand on a bench in one of the big shelters in the playground and there rhyme went something like "Down in the valley of Blankity-Blank, there lived two frogs sitting back to back, singing zoom, zam, zoom-zam-zay, down in the valley of Ker-Plunk" (good gods, I remembered it all!). One person would be counting off up and down the line with each word and whoever Plunk was, they'd yank them and try pull them off the bench while the people on it linked arms and tried not to fall off. That got banned too.
    Wall-fights - So, one side of the street had very sloping gardens, and a small wall that descended in steps. Two kids started, one from either side of the wall, arms folded and hopping. They'd hop along the wall to each other and try to gladiator each other off. That got banned after someone's leg got broken.
    All the skipping games - blackberry jam is the only one I remember now.
    Rollar blading/skating and that daft thing that all kids try at some point of grabbing onto a passing car and being towed. And then being yelled at.
    I made up a lot of games for a few of us involving the huts - lions and tigers was one, where we'd use one of the natural huts formed by the trees lining the field and go stalking imaginary lions and tigers in the wheat field.
    Lava-Floor
    What's the Time, Mister Wolf
    Some sort of letter game where letters would be called and kids would start stepping towards the caller based on how many of that letter was in their name. Having a middle name and a Confirmation name was a bonus.

I'm sure there were more!

We used to play on a Trolley that was made up Of old pieces of wood nailed together to make a cart shaped box with three bicycle wheels bolted on and old handle bars fixed to the front to steer it. There wasn't a lot of traffic around back then so we would find a road with a hill on it and two of us would get in to the cart and another would push us to get us going. Thinking of it now it was quiet dangerous as we had no head protection.

I loved this game.

Why on earth was it called polio, though?

There was also a game called Queenie-i-oh, where one person held a ball behind their back in a line-up, and it had a rhyme that went,

"Queenie-i-oh, who's got the ball?
    Is it he, or is it she?
    Are they big, or are they small?
    See I haven't got it (shows right hand)
    See I haven't got it (shows left hand)
    Who has got the ball?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Kerbs was very familar and so was spin the bottle. Especially when the girls would play.

You wouldn't want to play spin the bottle with just a circle of lads. not in the nineties at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

In national school
    Kiss, cuddle or torture with the girls v the boys. if you got caught you had to choose one of the 3. torture usually meant a kick in the shins.
    wall ball - line up class mates against a wall and try to kick them in the face with the ball. last person hit then got the chance to do the same to you.
    conkers - pick conkers and try to skull people with them
    stone rain - everyone would throw pebbles in to the air and try not to get hit
    they were simple days, violent but simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Does anyone else remember playing "Scotch"?
    It was simple...one person was on and they had a tennis ball and basically everyone legged it as the person who was on tried to purposely hit you as hard as possible with the ball? If you were hit, you were on.
    I'm convinced we gave the Wachowski Brothers the ideas for the Matrix moves :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

tumblr_nvx9j7EBOn1r5zq6ao1_1280.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

kerbs....nots paths if you hit the path you are out,the aim was to hit the curb...

Advertisement