Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men: Do you regularly lie to your partners?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The first sign that someone is a liar - they'll tell you they don't lie.

The only people who don't lie are very young kids, who haven't copped that others don't know what they are thinking yet. It's actually a fairly good measure of intelligence the younger a child starts to lie!

So... all you people who have never lied to your partner - just stop it would you, you're embarrassing yourselves. If they are reading, don't be scared, they have no business being on their high horses - they've lied to you countless times also.

It doesn't mean you've a second family, or a basement full of dead hookers - but we've ALL lied, without a single exception.

I suppose a lot depends what kind of lies you are presuming for this thread. . Have I ever farted in the same room as my wife and blamed the dog ? Yes, most definitely, its probably one of my most shameful secrets I keep from my wife. The poor dog gets some grief at times . .

But if we are talking about the kind of lies that could potentially ruin a marriage which is what I interpreted the OP's original question, then no, I do not keep these level of lies from my wife . .

Just as predicted, this thread is full of people declaring they never lie to their other half.

Liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I love the amount of people who are so dishonest that they literally can't imagine that other people are honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Drumpot wrote: »
    I suppose a lot depends what kind of lies you are presuming for this thread. . Have I ever farted in the same room as my wife and blamed the dog ? Yes, most definitely, its probably one of my most shameful secrets I keep from my wife. The poor dog gets some grief at times .

I don't have a dog so I have to blame one of the kids.

I have no scruples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Don't we all lie a bit or at least withhold? Going by this thread Boards is populated by some extremely virtuous people :P

I obviously don't intentionally lie to my OH but I can think of a few instances where I've made the executive decision that he doesn't need to know. Its like it court cases where the judge rules that a piece of evidence ought not be admitted because its prejudicial nature outweighs the probative value.

Not a real example, but I could imagine someone telling a lie about the number of sexual partners they've had if they think it would upset their current partner.

There is such a thing as too honest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

1st mistake, expecting liars to tell the truth in a poll. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I've always wondered, whether male of female, if you have to lie about yourself to your partner, what the **** are you in a relationship with them for??

its more complicated than that. Sometimes people can lie to partners if the truth might hurt them, or if it might cause an uneeded fight

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

white lies ya

but about serious things always tell the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I've never been on a stag night/weekend with strippers. If I was would I lie about it to my wife? No.
    Why not? Because my wife knows that I don't cheat on her.

Do I lie to my wife? Yes, usually white lies such as "no, you look lovely wearing that" (because I know you like the outfit and I don't want to upset you by saying that you don't look lovely wearing that, so I lie instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The first sign that someone is a rapist - they'll tell you they are not a rapist.

All I can say - as I said above - is if I have done so in my now 12ish year long relationship - I genuinely can not recall it. So - speak for yourself I guess.

Ah, you wiley old politician you.... you can't recall eh

I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for the combined weight of psychological research. Non liars, outside of very young children, politicians and those with certain ailments like some forms of autism, simply do not exist.

Not all lies are cruel, self serving un-truths.

How was dinner? Lovely, thank you...Meanwhile your stomach is frantically trying to figure out what exactly it has done to piss you off, before you dump more of that shít on it.

Or you run into your ex on the street and the missus says, she was looking well wasn't she...Was she? I didn't really notice / adjust trousers and carry on.

What's in the bag - oh, just a top I bought....It's actually something for her, for her birthday.

Or the absolute classic, we have all experienced countless times. What's wrong with you?....Nothing!

You have lied to your missus(es). You will do so repeatedly again, and you're also lying to me by saying that you haven't and won't. But I won't hold it against you....or will I:D

Nobody is saying they never lie, just that they don't lie to their partner. Why would you need to? If I decided to go to a strip club my partner would know all about it. If I end up in the pub, she gets a text. I'm not special, it's just how it is. I'm sorry you feel that is beyond you.

It's beyond us both Sham. Ironically, I'm just more honest about it!

• Advertisement

Ah, you wiley old politician you.... you can't recall eh I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for the combined weight of psychological research.

And yet still speaking for yourself - because you certainly are not speaking for me. If you lie to your partner(s) then so be it - but that is not a valid basis for assuming anyone else does. As I said - I do not.
    Non liars, outside of very young children, politicians and those with certain ailments like some forms of autism, simply do not exist.

Who here is claiming to be "non liars" though? I was under the impression the thread was solely about lying to your partner(s). Which I say I do not do. I never said anything about lying to anyone else.
    You have lied to your missus(es). You will do so repeatedly again, and you're also lying to me by saying that you haven't and won't. But I won't hold it against you....or will I

None of the above is true - you just want it to be.

And yet still speaking for yourself - because you certainly are not speaking for me. If you lie to your partner(s) then so be it - but that is not a valid basis for assuming anyone else does. As I said - I do not. .

I'll admit I am speaking from personal experience.
    But so convinced am I that everybody does it, that I would be willing to bet my mortgage that, when it comes to any relationship longer than a few months or so there is probably not a single exception to be found anywhere in the entire world.
    Maybe there's 1 out there, maybe it's even you, I very much doubt it, but who knows......but what I do know with absolute certainty is that 1 out of every 2 boards users is certainly not that exception!

None of the above is true - you just want it to be.

I don't want it to be true any more than I want to be false, it doesn't affect me in any way. I just believe it to be true. I still believe it to be so, and I honestly don't mean that as any sort of insult. If I've offended you, I apologise, but I just find it absolutely impossible to comprehend that you've made it through a dozen or so years without so much as a single white lie, not for any reason.
    It would be an amazing achievement if you did, but in all honesty, I just don't believe you have.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to differ.

Always safe to make a bet that no one can ever collect on :) Short of a magic time machine where you spy on my entire last decade - there is no way to call on the bet. But all I can do is repeat that if I have ever wilfully lied in the period of my relationship - I certainly have no recollection of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

She wouldn't want to know about a lapdancing club. It would just annoy her.

I hope that after years together she would trust that I wouldn't do anything really wrong.

Always safe to make a bet that no one can ever collect on :) Short of a magic time machine where you spy on my entire last decade - there is no way to call on the bet. But all I can do is repeat that if I have ever wilfully lied in the period of my relationship - I certainly have no recollection of it.

What your claim does have going for it, is I have always been a terrible gambler!:D

Advertisement