Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men: Do you regularly lie to your partners?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

osarusan wrote: »
    I avoid stags involving strippers etc / this is not relevant to my friend group.
    That's an odd thing to say, and odd friends to have, in my humble opionion. I would find it creepy if someone went to strip clubs regularly (what's the point?), but one stripper on a stag is perfectly fine. I'd almost be a bit disappointed to go to a stag without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    That's an odd thing to say, and odd friends to have, in my humble opionion. I would find it creepy if someone went to strip clubs regularly (what's the point?), but one stripper on a stag is perfectly fine. I'd almost be a bit disappointed to go to a stag without one.

It's the last option on the poll, verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Generally can't think of any times I'd lie. One thing I've lied about is not disclosing a personal situation about a friend because he asked me not to, if that counts. The situation had nothing to do with my wife but she does know him.

Re: clubs Nobody i know well would really go to one.

Of all the stags I've ever been to, only one (years ago) ever ended up in a strip/lapdance club (for about an hour) so I went along (not been in one since).

Kinda boring and a waste of money if I'm being honest.

Not actually sure if I mentioned to my wife mainly because I know she wouldn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Your Face wrote: »
    Stop assigning gender roles because the media says that is also sexist.

If my socks weren't so gosh darn thread bare, I'd find you and punch your face for disagreeing with me and my masculinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"How many pints did you have?"

"Just the two."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

El Weirdo wrote: »
    "How many pints did you have?" "Just the two."

I left these many instances out of my lofty summation because I view them not so much as lies but alternative filtering of information. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

My fella would tell me if a strip visit happened on a stag. He wouldn't go into details about what happened there but he'd tell me the visit happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

fizzypish wrote: »
    If my socks weren't so gosh darn thread bare, I'd find you and punch your face for disagreeing with me and my masculinity.

I don't think you want that to be the last thing you do in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Let's forget white lies like, no you don't look fat in those jeans or saying traffic was heavy when in fact you were late because you were wasting time online.

I am confident that my partner is truthful with me. If any woman says this here on boards, she is confidently assured (by men) that all men lie and conceal.

I'm interested to see what percentage of AH users lie regularly to their partners. Let's use stag weekends as a litmus test.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Wildcard7 wrote: »

Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've learned from previous mistakes and tell my missus everything, it's simply not worth it in the long run for both parties to keep anything secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I've learned from pervious mistakes and tell my missus everything, it's simply not worth it in the long run for both parties to keep anything secret.

Freudian slip? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The first sign that someone is a liar - they'll tell you they don't lie.

The only people who don't lie are very young kids, who haven't copped that others don't know what they are thinking yet. It's actually a fairly good measure of intelligence the younger a child starts to lie!

So... all you people who have never lied to your partner - just stop it would you, you're embarrassing yourselves. If they are reading, don't be scared, they have no business being on their high horses - they've lied to you countless times also.

It doesn't mean you've a second family, or a basement full of dead hookers - but we've ALL lied, without a single exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lol. Whatever makes you feel better about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Your Face wrote: »
    I don't think you want that to be the last thing you do in life.

Think your tough. THINK YOUR TOUGH? Come here and fight me.... and a few of my comrades...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lying in a relationship will very likely leave you open to being found out and could be rightly seen as a deal breaker.

Not telling the truth something quiet different, and I'd be surprised if there's many relationships where one or either doesn't tell the full truth.

The first sign that someone is a rapist - they'll tell you they are not a rapist.

Can probably construct the same sentence for 1000s of other things. Seems to be one of those self confirming bias things to me. Especially given the opposite is true too in that one sign someone is _not_ a liar - is they would also likely say they don't lie too.
    It doesn't mean you've a second family, or a basement full of dead hookers - but we've ALL lied, without a single exception.

All I can say - as I said above - is if I have done so in my now 12ish year long relationship - I genuinely can not recall it. So - speak for yourself I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Freudian slip? :pac:

You didn' see nothin'

<_<
    >_>

"You can tell what food I'm thinking about by just looking at me, so I'm hardly going pull off a lie!" The Chap, recently.

I'm not a great liar myself, unless it's a white one to spare peoples feelings. I have one of those guilty faces. I feel guilty innocently walking through customs, never mind if I'm trying to hide something.

• Advertisement

The first sign that someone is a rapist - they'll tell you they are not a rapist.
    Are you a rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

I wish I could be a better liar sometimes.

At our pre-marriage course, we were asked to fill out a questionnaire, in full knowledge that the answers would be discussed afterwards with not only the OH but the rest of the group (20 couples?).

The exercise was to see how honest and trusting we could be.

"Grand", says I.

Question: Rate your OH our of ten for housework where 1 is rubbish and 10 is excellent.

"Zero", says I.

Still hearing about it, 6 yrs later

Are you a rapist?

Well since - apparently - I am also a liar who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Excusing the occasional I am late because of traffic when it in reality it was because I was late getting ready because I lost track of time or was pottering around thinking I have plenty of time:P, we don't lie to each other. I associate people who lie to their partner about serious issues as either lacking in confidence in themselves or don't actuley care about the relationship they are in or are immature and think lying is the easy way out they are not mature enough to accept responsibility for themselves.

I like the Homer Simpson quote...Marge Id never has done it if Id known you'd find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

fizzypish wrote: »
    Think your tough. THINK YOUR TOUGH? Come here and fight me.... and a few of my comrades...

Are you challenging me?
    I'll fight you and all your domestic animals under 4ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"Ah yeah, just the two pints, then I got to the station and I think there was a signal failure. . .burp. . ."

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

She's one of my people, I'm the very same. I'll engage in all kinds of reductio ab adsurdum when it comes to the consequences of very minor actions, like ticking no on a technicality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

No point in lying about the small things (strip club) - it would only make it easier to lie about the big things.
    There should be enough trust between a couple to know the limits in a relationship, respect the limits and not have to lie about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

The only people who don't lie are very young kids, who haven't copped that others don't know what they are thinking yet. It's actually a fairly good measure of intelligence the younger a child starts to lie!

So... all you people who have never lied to your partner - just stop it would you, you're embarrassing yourselves. If they are reading, don't be scared, they have no business being on their high horses - they've lied to you countless times also.

Nobody is saying they never lie, just that they don't lie to their partner. Why would you need to? If I decided to go to a strip club my partner would know all about it. If I end up in the pub, she gets a text. I'm not special, it's just how it is. I'm sorry you feel that is beyond you.

Advertisement