Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men: Do you regularly lie to your partners?

Options
  • 29-03-2017 10:07am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's forget white lies like, no you don't look fat in those jeans or saying traffic was heavy when in fact you were late because you were wasting time online.

I am confident that my partner is truthful with me. If any woman says this here on boards, she is confidently assured (by men) that all men lie and conceal.

I'm interested to see what percentage of AH users lie regularly to their partners. Let's use stag weekends as a litmus test.

When on a stag party where strippers etc. are involved: 119 votes

I am 100% honest with my partner about what goes on
    0% 0 votes
    I am partially honest with my partner about what goes on, to protect me/others
    51% 61 votes
    I lie completely about what goes on and conceal most details
    36% 44 votes
    I avoid stags involving strippers etc / this is not relevant to my friend group
    11% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

No.

I can not think of a single incident of knowingly lying in my relationship at any point over it's now 12ish years length.

At most I think I may have understated a few truths. Such as fairly recently when I had a bit of a spectacular and somewhat comical break down due to stretching myself too thin over too many things - I mentioned a few times I was feeling not so great - but I think I massively understated to them just how crap I was feeling so as not to be a worry or some rubbish like that.

In fact even the white lies of which you mention is not something I would do. If an article of clothing accentuates or distorts a feature in a way that I know is unwelcome to the person - I would happily point the fact out to them if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nope.. I tell my wife everything...

The worst I do is goto cinema if I get some free time from work and tell her afterwards.

But, I try not to judge. I can't live with secrets from my wife , it just doesn't sit well with me, but others can.

An interesting debate is "if a person cheats on a partner , are they relieving their guilty consciounce by telling partner or are they taking responsibility for their actions?".

My opinion is that it depends on the person. If you cheat and don't care or think about it then you should tell your partner. If you cheated once , there was no fallout (STD etc) and it's tearing you up, that's your punishment for the crime you committed. You have to live with your actions..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Are you a liar? If so please fill out my poll... honestly. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Are you a liar? If so please fill out my poll... honestly. :pac:

It's anonymous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No.

(Contrary to opinion) I'm not a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm interested to see what percentage of AH users lie regularly to their partners. Let's use stag weekends as a litmus test.
    Eleventeen percent and my litmus paper is pinky bluish.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

If you lie to your partner then your unlikely to be honest on a forum..... unless your a muppet. No lies from me. Pretty open with my partner other wise whats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nah, the best part of my relationship with my OH is she is the one person I can share everything with.

It's anonymous

I'm not sure that makes a difference tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I avoid stags involving strippers etc / this is not relevant to my friend group.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

I've always wondered, whether male of female, if you have to lie about yourself to your partner, what the **** are you in a relationship with them for??

osarusan wrote: »
    I avoid stags involving strippers etc / this is not relevant to my friend group.

There is nothing more uncomfortable as being in a strip club (Maybe thats an overstatement...). Its ****ing weird. This woman is dancing for me because I paid her does resonates (overpowers even) much stronger than lookat dem diddies. Odd looking guys giving the evil eye. Douchy guys walking about thinking their the bee's knees. Other guys like yourself trying to look like your enjoying yourself.

I've always wondered, whether male of female, if you have to lie about yourself to your partner, what the **** are you in a relationship with them for??

I call BS on this and the whole Hollywood love thing. Relationships are messy and complicated. If you or anyone else here is genuinely honest 100% of the time, fair play, I'd wager a few of ye aren't being honest with yourselves though. That said the poll isn;t great, it doesn't take account of white lies etc. and it clearly driving at sex (stag dos) and sugar coats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

fizzypish wrote: »
    There is nothing more uncomfortable as being in a strip club (Maybe thats an overstatement...). Its ****ing weird. This woman is dancing for me because I paid her does resonates (overpowers even) much stronger than lookat dem diddies. Odd looking guys giving the evil eye. Douchy guys walking about thinking their the bee's knees. Other guys like yourself trying to look like your enjoying yourself.

Yep, I went to a Strip Club with a group of mates for a stag, my first and last time going to one. The best word I can think of to describe the whole experience is 'surreal'. I definitely wouldn't consider it sexy!

And for what it's worth, I couldn't wait to tell my wife about it when I got home, it was just such a strange experience and I wanted to share it with her! :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's quite hard to lie to your hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never really saw the point in Lying. Regardless of who'd be on the other end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's quite hard to lie to your hand...

getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_hand.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

All the time, but generally its "the child ate your last club milk" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I'm a terrible liar so I'd get caught out straight away.

.......unless that's a lie and in that case I could be the best liar in the world

...............................I'm Kaiser Soze

Rega wrote: »
    I'm a terrible liar so I'd get caught out straight away.

.......unless that's a lie and in that case I could be the best liar in the world

...............................I'm Kaiser Soze
    Lieception

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Without a word of a lie I can say that about 70% of my friends are strippers or those that work with strippers.

I just had to get that off my chest.
    (Badumtish!)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't really think you can relate one to the other in that way? If someone feels they have to lie to their partner about themselves, it's because they want to stay in the relationship with them, not because they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This thread is sexist.

Your Face wrote: »
    This thread is sexist.

Because thread is used by women when they fix men clothing. Grade A sexism right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

fizzypish wrote: »
    Because thread is used by women when they fix men clothing. Grade A sexism right there!

Stop assigning gender roles because the media says that is also sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Thread is, I suspect, as a result of another thread on an unnamed forum where a lady's husband told her he had been on a stag and had two private lapdances.

A number of men said on that thread, that any man who goes on a stag and said he didn't go to lapdancing clubs is a liar and that all men go to lapdancing clubs on stags and would never break away from the group if the group were going. They suggested that any woman who believes her man doesn't do these things is naive despite what her husband tells her, or how well she feels she knows the men in her life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I was thinking that this thread is from a questioning spouse/partner who maybe is letting paranoia get a foothold where it shouldn't.

Of course he's going to let some naked woman arouse him....and maybe more? He'll clean up after and text you goodnight....nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Heh. I'm not even slightly worried about my own partner.

Advertisement