Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Been commuting in and out of work for a short few months now and had my first proper scare yesterday afternoon. I had built up quite a bit of speed going downhill coming up to Raheny when a lady overtook me and suddenly indicated left and pulled straight across my path to enter a petrol station on the left.

I jammed on both breaks and nearly came off the bike but managed to control the wobble. I hesitated at the exit of the petrol station deciding whether to confront her or not as you don't often get the chance to. I was about to cycle off but then decided when I saw her on her phone in the forecourt still sitting in the car that I would go over to her.

She saw me approach when I was a few feet away from her door and I asked her "did you not see me there?!", she opened the door and said "what?" and I repeated "did you not see me there?!". She said no and I tried to remain as calm as possible and just said "you very nearly took me out of it!". She apologized so I just left it at that and went on my way.

I was glad I approached her as hopefully she'll realise how serious a incident it could have been and be more careful and observant going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

jiltloop wrote: »
    Been commuting in and out of work for a short few months now and had my first proper scare yesterday afternoon. I had built up quite a bit of speed going downhill coming up to Raheny when a lady overtook me and suddenly indicated left and pulled straight across my path to enter a petrol station on the left.

I jammed on both breaks and nearly came off the bike but managed to control the wobble. I hesitated at the exit of the petrol station deciding whether to confront her or not as you don't often get the chance to. I was about to cycle off but then decided when I saw her on her phone in the forecourt still sitting in the car that I would go over to her.

She saw me approach when I was a few feet away from her door and I asked her "did you not see me there?!", she opened the door and said "what?" and I repeated "did you not see me there?!". She said no and I tried to remain as calm as possible and just said "you very nearly took me out of it!". She apologized so I just left it at that and went on my way.

I was glad I approached her as hopefully she'll realise how serious a incident it could have been and be more careful and observant going forward.

All too common an occurrence. She definitely saw you btw, she just didn't give a f**k. I had a taxi do something similar this morning though I wouldn't class it as a near miss, he overtook me then 100 yards down the road indicated left and started pulling in to the kerb across me. To be fair I could see his indicator and I should've just overtaken him on the right but I ended up braking to let him pull in across me as he wasn't in any mood to yield. Was odd though as he didn't just pull in left after he indicated, he waited til I was nearly at his rear before he started closing the gap to the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

jiltloop wrote: »

Sounds identical to me at the filling station in Castleknock a few years back, I was thankfully going slow because the driver managed to knock me off my bike. He probably wondered what the thud was, and was equally surprised when I confronted him in the filling station forecourt.

I'm 6'2", had a flashing bright light on the seat post and one on my helmet. Hi-vis bag cover. And he still claimed to have not seen me

There needs to be a real education of drivers on this type of maneuver - the most common and potentially dangerous IMHO. I think it's genuine lack of awareness / ignorance on the part of the driver rather than malice in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm 6'2", had a flashing bright light on the seat post and one on my helmet. Hi-vis bag cover. And he still claimed to have not seen me

Yet if you cycled through a red traffic signal you'd have motorists phoning into the George Hook radio show to complain about dangerous cyclists!

So basically we all know that in cases like what happened to you, the SMIDSY is just a bare faced lie!

Yeah I'm convinced she did see me, I was wearing hi-vis gear and I'm 6ft 4". She seemed to want to turn in to the petrol station in front of me instead of having the patience to left me by and probably didn't realise that I was going 35-40 km/h. That's why when I saw her on the phone in the forecourt in no rush to get out of her car that I decided I would confront her. If she was in such a rush why sit in her car browsing through her phone instead of hopping out to get petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

assuming you're talking about the station after the lights at Brookwood, it's a fairly lethal spot for that. almost every day someone tries to cut me off there.

although yesterday evening i kinda had the opposite at the same spot, a car maybe 2 or 3 cars up ahead of us was indicating left to turn in there and the 3 cyclists ahead of me all went up the inside of him, with him stopped waiting to turn in and expecting me to also continue on. i pulled out into the traffic lane behind him and waved him in, with the car behind me giving me plenty of space and the guy in front waving in polite acknowledgment. in the grand scheme of things it makes fvck all difference but these more positive (or what should be normal & everyday) interactions with attentive and polite motorists always make me feel better about the world!

assuming you're talking about the station after the lights at Brookwood, it's a fairly lethal spot for that. almost every day someone tries to cut me off there.

although yesterday evening i kinda had the opposite at the same spot, a car maybe 2 or 3 cars up ahead of us was indicating left to turn in there and the 3 cyclists ahead of me all went up the inside of him, with him stopped waiting to turn in and expecting me to also continue on. i pulled out into the traffic lane behind him and waved him in, with the car behind me giving me plenty of space and the guy in front waving in polite acknowledgment. in the grand scheme of things it makes fvck all difference but these more positive (or what should be normal & everyday) interactions with attentive and polite motorists always make me feel better about the world!

That's the one alright. Yeah I agree with you on the above, I don't think a lot of cyclists are aware that they should not be undertaking a car indicating left which amazes me. I always stop and wave them on unless it's not safe for me to stop suddenly or I can pull out around them safely.

I wouldn't undertake a vehicle indicating left when I'm driving my car so I'm certainly not going to when I'm cycling, especially when the result could be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a close encounter with a very dangerous, unstable and angry motorist this morning.

I was in a cycle lane, just approaching a left filter for cars, with the cycle lane staying right of the filter lane. The lights were red. A car came from behind me and pulled across the cycle lane. I had to go left to avoid the car. It kept forcing me left. I hit the car, the driver slowed and swiped the car even more left, I hit the car again he swiped left again at me and almost made contact, I nearly fell off, I hit the rear wing of the car, as I was now heading driven into a high kerb. The car then fully passed me and pulled right into the kerb to block my progress and then slammed on and stopped for no other reason than hoping I would run into the back of it.
    I managed to bunny hop the kerb and stopped on the pavement. The mororist had rolled down a window and started screaming "you should be in the cycle lane" I politely asked "Are you a Garda? You have no authority or right to police the road" They repeated the cycle lane comment and I politely told them I was in it before they bullied me out of it. The motorist was almost frothing at the mouth with anger and the tension had their eyes popping and neck muscles tense.
    They said something else which I won't put here but centred on them wishing they had hit me. At that point I said I was going to report them and they said "go ahead, report me, you fxxxxxg stupid cxxx, you should not be on the road, stupid fxxxxxg cyclist".
    At that stage I had pulled away. I don't know how I kept so calm as I was shaking. They tried to drive off and had the lights but another car pulled left in front of this vehicle preventing them from turning. I got a photo of the vehicle. Meanwhile another car had hung back behind at a distance and then rolled up alongside. Seen I was shaking. Asked me if I was ok. Said she seen what he did and I had done nothing wrong. I was in the cycle lane and they tried to take me out. I said it would be my word against theirs and said she would go witness. I tried to take her number but I could barely type. She asked for mine and rang my phone. Some nice people out there too. The irony of this is that the lights were red at the time this dangerous motortist tried to take me out. I really hope this driver gets what they truly deserve. They fully intended to knock me off and would have drove away too.

Sorry to hear than I would have struggled to stay calm. A lot of motorists wound up at the moment and the incessant media bashing of cyclists is no doubt to blame for fanning these flames. And it's a quiet week as well with the kids off school..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Jesus :( that's beyond awful, I hope you're okay KS and here's hoping the motorist gets what they deserve. Glad to hear others stopped to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I had a close encounter with a very dangerous, unstable and angry motorist this morning. I got a photo of the vehicle. Meanwhile another car had hung back behind at a distance and then rolled up alongside. Seen I was shaking. Asked me if I was ok. Said she seen what he did and I had done nothing wrong. I was in the cycle lane and they tried to take me out. I said it would be my word against theirs and said she would go witness.

Sorry to hear about this assault (with a deadly weapon) and I'm glad you're ok and that you have a willing witness to the incident.

For all our sakes please, please follow this up with the Guards as thoroughly as possible because that driver is an active danger to all of us.

Edit: Also, please report the incident on the Dublin Inquirer's Bicycle Collision tracker map, which has a 'near miss' category: http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just had a dangerous overtake....by a Garda patrol car. His retort when I asked why oh why would he overtake into oncoming traffic? "Wheres your helmet?". Didnt look happy.

Was half tempted to put in a Traffic watch report, but not sure the local super would see the right side of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

ED E wrote: »
    Just had a dangerous overtake....by a Garda patrol car. His retort when I asked why oh why would he overtake into oncoming traffic? "Wheres your helmet?". Didnt look happy.

Was half tempted to put in a Traffic watch report, but not sure the local super would see the right side of that.

This guy need to be reported. If the guys up keeping the law don't have a clue, and lets face it most of them don't seem to, we are all damned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Cyclist being attended to on Pearse Street after what looks to be a collision with a taxi just before the Dart Bridge.
    emergency services on scene.

Edit : She was walked to the ambulance, bike and car do not look to be badly damaged

Edit 2: looks like the taxi clipped the cyclist with his wingmirror..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Moflojo wrote: »
    For all our sakes please, please follow this up with the Guards as thoroughly as possible because that driver is an active danger to all of us.

And please let us know how you get on. It's very rare to have a willing independent witness so it will be interesting to see if the Guards act on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I don't know how I kept so calm as I was shaking.

My blood pressure was rising just reading your post, well done for staying so calm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had a close encounter with a very dangerous, unstable and angry motorist this morning.

Holy Christ! I know you probably just want to put it behind you but I reiterate what others have said, please report it. If this is your daily commute, he may do the same to you again and you may not be as lucky next time :(
    What a pig. This awful attitude motorists have towards cyclists needs to stop and the only thing that is going to make the roads safer for cyclists is motorist education. Teaching people to slow down and be patient.

When he told you that you shouldn't be on the road...I really, really wish you hadn't been so shook up so you could have retorted with ''no mate, it's YOU that shouldn't be on the road"

Hope you're ok

Crossing the road on Dorset street this evening at the NCR junction. A cyclist was proceeding down Dorset Street from Drumcondra, approaching the junction, she had a green light. There were no cars coming from her direction and 3 waiting to make the rigth turn from Dorset street on to NCR. She was at the big tree pub when the first one decided to turn, she braked and slowed...number two went through...she was still moving forward tentatively...and what dya know....number three turns and she nearly goes into him. All the while she had a green light and theirs green right turn filter wouldn't have come on yet. She was the last of the traffic to pass, the would have had to wait maybe 5 seconds max for her to clear the junction before they turned. :mad:

She was wearing high viz and a helmet

It was still bright out ~5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

This is the limpet theory of driving. If the guy in front of me does it, then so long as I stick to his ass like a limpet I can too.

When an oncoming car turns right in front of me with no margin for error I am always concerned that the one behind them, who hasn't even had a clear view of oncoming traffic, will assume it is safe for them to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What a pig. This awful attitude motorists have towards cyclists needs to stop and the only thing that is going to make the roads safer for cyclists is motorist education. Teaching people to slow down and be patient.

I honestly think it's more than that. I think that the radio jocks and newspaper commentators spewing hatred of cyclists are responsible for this.

If they are not stopped, drivers are going to become more and more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Had one this morning on the slip road right after Leeson bridge which leads to the top of Harcourt street (not sure of actual name, Adelaide road?). Wide enough road with parking on both sides, car went to overtake me with a van coming against us. I always leave a door-width to the parked cars so was not a close call for me really, the van driver wasn't impressed with the car.

Needless to say with it being the city centre at 8.15am I went by the car again 200m up the road at the lights by the Luas tracks. I have to say there's something more annoying about the totally pointless ones.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Had one this morning on the slip road right after Leeson bridge which leads to the top of Harcourt street (not sure of actual name, Adelaide road?). Wide enough road with parking on both sides, car went to overtake me with a van coming against us. I always leave a door-width to the parked cars so was not a close call for me really, the van driver wasn't impressed with the car.

Needless to say with it being the city centre at 8.15am I went by the car again 200m up the road at the lights by the Luas tracks. I have to say there's something more annoying about the totally pointless ones.

i've had numerous dangerous overtakes there, by cars overtaking me on the bridge and then turning left immediately onto Adelaide road. the fact that it's happened to me several times means i know it's coming as they skim past me and hence am ready to jump on the brakes but it still pisses me off no end.

kind of on the same point, has anyone ever gone to the gardaí and asked them to pay attention to a particular junction etc? like it really would be shooting fish in a barrel if they stood there during rush hour every morning. i'm thinking of doing it for a cycle lane in raheny that's constantly parked in during its hours of use / operation.

One of the most horrible dangers of Irish drivers is the habit of indicating as they are turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Chuchote wrote: »
    One of the most horrible dangers of Irish drivers is the habit of indicating as they are turning!

What indicator? Half of the time not used at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

i've had numerous dangerous overtakes there, by cars overtaking me on the bridge and then turning left immediately onto Adelaide road. the fact that it's happened to me several times means i know it's coming as they skim past me and hence am ready to jump on the brakes but it still pisses me off no end.

kind of on the same point, has anyone ever gone to the gardaí and asked them to pay attention to a particular junction etc? like it really would be shooting fish in a barrel if they stood there during rush hour every morning. i'm thinking of doing it for a cycle lane in raheny that's constantly parked in during its hours of use / operation.

The simple fact is, the Gardai are two busy sitting on their arses blowing into breathalyzers to do any real work. I've been cycling for a long time now and I rarely see any on my travels.

and one of my recurring themes that bores people in real life is the complete lack of enforcement of any road traffic laws...

Chuchote wrote: »

The general assumption is that an indicator gives you right of way, which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

V-man wrote: »
    What indicator? Half of the time not used at all

I agree, too many drivers are settling into bad habits such as this which completely fudges up the efficient (and safe) order of traffic continuity for all road users.

If only the Gardai had the powers to issue a mandatory re-test for bad drivers. I think this would be a great solution to improving the standard of road skills and it would stimulate jobs in the motor testing ;)

Actually it quite possibly might result in action. For a few months there was a garda in full uniform and hi-viz pouncing on drivers outside Trinity College. Maybe it's my imagination, but I thought it gradually made driving at that nasty junction less reckless.

What's the name of the yoke where you're supposed to report dangerous driving - Traffic Watch or something like that? Is there an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I've thought about it! But the section of my commute that I'd be suggesting they monitor is covered by Blanchardstown Garda Station and I've a feeling I'd get very short shift!

Did anyone else see the Garda at the junction of Conyngham Road and Infirmary road this morning? They just seemed to be 'there' not sure if they were trying to catch red light jumpers or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's the idiots who block the cycle/pedestrian crossing at that bridge that get my goat. How hard is it to read the road ahead and predict that traffic gets heavy at rush hour so you may not be able to complete the crossing, and just hold back instead? There could well be 100+ pedestrians and 50+ bikes crossing at any change of lights on a busy day, and they frequently have to squeeze past some selfish git blocking the crossing.

This morning I got a lecture from a guy for 'nearly causing a crash' because I changed lane to make a right turn. I think he was really pi$$ed that the lady in front of him let me in. He went on to blow through a very late amber at the next lights and get stuck in the middle of the crossing on the red.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement