Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

lovely greasy roads this morning in the mist. lovely fella in an mx5 decided to buzz me and the trailer on a tight T-junction to get 100m ahead to the queue of cars at the next lights. the T has a slight curve and a speed bump at either end so he either lost control (or deliberately) cut the cycle lane up ahead of me and almost hit the kerb in the process.

passed him as he sat in a traffic and got a "what the **** are you looking at" out the window. he never caught up again by the time i turned off about 500m ahead at the next junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

site_owner wrote: »
    lovely greasy roads this morning in the mist. lovely fella in an mx5 decided to buzz me and the trailer on a tight T-junction to get 100m ahead to the queue of cars at the next lights. the T has a slight curve and a speed bump at either end so he either lost control (or deliberately) cut the cycle lane up ahead of me and almost hit the kerb in the process.

passed him as he sat in a traffic and got a "what the **** are you looking at" out the window. he never caught up again by the time i turned off about 500m ahead at the next junction

Here is the thing

When people (in general) think about accidents involving bikes, they usually imagine a crossroads, and either the cyclist or the car braking the lights. I've seen very few incidents of that.

Nearly every near miss on this site has involved a dangerous overtake. Nearly every single one.

It got me thinking this morning (on the way to work) - one simple reaction to this would be for cyclists to team up on on commutes and cycle two abreast. This makes it substantially more difficult for cars or indeed trucks to overtake.

My own 'near miss' yesterday was a single vehicle incident. I came off the bike on the Luas tracks at the corner of O;Connell St and Parnell St.

No major damage done, but it was quite a tumble.

Ironic considering the amount of times I have 'explained' to people how to cycle across Luas tracks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was it a slip or a wheel catch?

Good question - happened so fast, but it was a wheel catch.

However - greasy enough conditions, and I think what got me was that it happened at a point where there is a bend in the tracks i.e. at the corner of the junction, and I was looking ahead towards the traffic rather than at the ground. So I guess I though i was cycling across it, but actually cycled into it because of how the tracks where bending.

Thats my excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those MX5 are notoriously skittish in the wet so there's a chance he just lost it... maybe he was embarrassed then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My own 'near miss' yesterday was a single vehicle incident. I came off the bike on the Luas tracks at the corner of O;Connell St and Parnell St.

Ironic considering the amount of times I have 'explained' to people how to cycle across Luas tracks.

Owen Keegan was on the radio this morning on Sean o Rourke. I only caught a bit of it but I did think I heard him say there were plans to make it safer for cyclists crossing the Luas tracks.

I must listen back to it.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Owen Keegan was on the radio this morning on Sean o Rourke. I only caught a bit of it but I did think I heard him say there were plans to make it safer for cyclists crossing the Luas tracks.

I must listen back to it.

To be honest, this sort of thing annoys me.

'We have plans to....' is people taking credit for something they havent done.

Go and improve it, and then talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It got me thinking this morning (on the way to work) - one simple reaction to this would be for cyclists to team up on on commutes and cycle two abreast. This makes it substantially more difficult for cars or indeed trucks to overtake.

That was tried afaik:

https://twitter.com/coconutlulz/status/927862125917327360

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

I hope you are all fine.
    I myself had a few of these situations with rails - I cycle since 25 years and always have the best "explanation" for my friends on how to cross rails; then every now and then it happens again...
    Most of the time you have an impatient driver pushing you, wet conditions, the angle you choose is not wide enough, and here's what you get. So if I can, I simply avoid rails, no matter how experienced and prepared I feel.

I always prefer to avoid situations like:
    https://youtu.be/Y-z0Kh0pvNM?t=41s

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation, I’ve had verbal abuse form people when warning then of my approach with a bell. “Get over yourself” and “watch where you’re going” (while almost been doored in a cycle lane) are recent ones that spring to mind.

The Phoenix park cycle lanes will be full of nick nacks as soon as the weather gets anyway better.

As regarding the Phoenix Park, it was already full of people a few days ago. That is, by the way, kinda good: people go to park to enjoy he sunshine and nature.
    What I do not understand is:
    the full park seems an autodrome, it so busy (of cars) at the junctions and roundabouts..., the air is not fresh at all, and those cars which are not moving are parked. In the park...
    What's the most insane thing ever, those driver are (All of them, no one excluded), walking playing running on the cycling paths! Why?
    So yes, I could have had a lot of near misses if I wanted to use the cycling paths that day... obviously I did not, it was too dangerous - too many children (I mean on the cycling paths!), too many runners (on the cycling paths!), too many dogs walking around their owners (on the cycling paths!), too many football players (yes, some of them prefer to use the asphalt of the cycling paths instead of the grass, the ball bounces more easily!), too many drivers taking a rest from their cars (on the cycling paths!). So I choose to use the road, but then it was all about aggressive drivers, not understanding why I was NOT using the cycling paths...

Now, a part from the jokes, is there any restriction to the traffic in the Phoenix? Is it only restricted to commercial vehicles? It is to me unbelievable that a park is so busy of cars! It could be a paradise of nature for runners and cyclists and walkers (a paradise for everyone, I believe), why is it reduced in this conditions?
    Is it really a main node for traffic? With all the motorways and fast and furious roads around, do really drivers need it so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

queldy wrote: »
    As regarding the Phoenix Park, it was already full of people a few days ago. That is, by the way, kinda good: people go to park to enjoy he sunshine and nature.
    What I do not understand is:
    the full park seems an autodrome, it so busy (of cars) at the junctions and roundabouts..., the air is not fresh at all, and those cars which are not moving are parked. In the park...
    What's the most insane thing ever, those driver are (All of them, no one excluded), walking playing running on the cycling paths! Why?
    So yes, I could have had a lot of near misses if I wanted to use the cycling paths that day... obviously I did not, it was too dangerous - too many children (I mean on the cycling paths!), too many runners (on the cycling paths!), too many dogs walking around their owners (on the cycling paths!), too many football players (yes, some of them prefer to use the asphalt of the cycling paths instead of the grass, the ball bounces more easily!), too many drivers taking a rest from their cars (on the cycling paths!). So I choose to use the road, but then it was all about aggressive drivers, not understanding why I was NOT using the cycling paths...

Now, a part from the jokes, is there any restriction to the traffic in the Phoenix? Is it only restricted to commercial vehicles? It is to me unbelievable that a park is so busy of cars! It could be a paradise of nature for runners and cyclists and walkers (a paradise for everyone, I believe), why is it reduced in this conditions?
    Is it really a main node for traffic? With all the motorways and fast and furious roads around, do really drivers need it so much?

Free parking during the week is one problem!

Also a reason for parking on the road is that it is safer, when training for a marathon I would park on the road at 7am, as the cars get broken into in the car parks and the zoo car park is for the zoo so wouldn't use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Those MX5 are notoriously skittish in the wet so there's a chance he just lost it... maybe he was embarrassed then...
    That should never be a factor on a city street with other traffic around.

It might be on a race track however...in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PaulieC wrote: »

In fairness, which lane were you trying to be in?
    Either take the far right lane or dont, you were kinda in no mans land there.

(Doesnt excuse a close pass mind you, he should have just beeped you out of it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »

It kind of shows up the peculiarity of some drivers though. I would have done as you said and just taken the lane, far easier and doesn't give the impression that there is room to overtake safely.

Nonetheless, the cyclists position on the laneway is or should be irrelevant. He was clearly heading up to turn right, he certainly wasn't planning to continue in the right hand lane up the N11. The (professional) driver should have actted in a risk adverse fashion and held back.

Even if he was staying on the N11, there was no room to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I am quite clearly on the left hand side of the right-turning lane (except at the end when the coach veered out to the left to get a wider turn angle). I do this every day as there is normally a queue of cars waiting for the lights, as there was today, but the edit of the video doesn't show them.

Being quite clearly in lane is not in no man's land.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I am quite clearly on the left hand side of the right-turning lane (except at the end when the coach veered out to the left to get a wider turn angle). I do this every day as there is normally a queue of cars waiting for the lights, as there was today, but the edit of the video doesn't show them.

Being quite clearly in lane is not in no man's land.

Sorry but its not quite clear at all.
    You are wobbling very close if not onto the road markings, you could easily be (albeit stupidly) overtaking that line of traffic.

Just take the lane, remove any doubt and you'll avoid this issue in future, its in your interests, not the bus drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry but its not quite clear at all.
    You are wobbling very close if not onto the road markings, you could easily be (albeit stupidly) overtaking that line of traffic.

Just take the lane, remove any doubt and you'll avoid this issue in future, its in your interests, not the bus drivers.

I appreciate the point but you realise it doesn't matter. The bus is still in the wrong. Imagine the other two lanes were not there and it was a single lane road. It doesn't matter where the cyclist is, the bus should not have went for it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I appreciate the point but you realise it doesn't matter. The bus is still in the wrong. Imagine the other two lanes were not there and it was a single lane road. It doesn't matter where the cyclist is, the bus should not have went for it.

I never denied the bus was in the wrong to pass.
    GreeBo wrote:

But the OP has demonstrated poor cycling here IMO, as you yourself said.
    There is no need to over-react and start attacking me guys.
    Take the advice and move on, as a cyclist its in *your* interest to not be in that position again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no-one is attacking you. nor is there an over-reaction. people have disagreed with you - in a polite fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

This happened just minutes into my ride yesterday morning. Don't know how I managed to stay upright as the wheels were sliding on the slippy road.

Damned lawless cyclists.....:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I never denied the bus was in the wrong to pass.

But the OP has demonstrated poor cycling here IMO, as you yourself said.
    Take the advice and move on, as a cyclist its in *your* interest to not be in that position again.

Rear facing cameras are weird. When I look at my rear cam sometimes even I start to doubt myself, but viewing from the front, and then the rear it all makes sense. I can see where you were coming from initially.

i dont know if there is a term for it, but got parked on while approaching traffic lights this morning.
    me in the cycle lane, car stopped in the driving lane.
    suddenly decided to put on hazards and mount the kerb.

no trailer so was able to stop quickly. received some moral support from car behind who saw what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Duckjob wrote: »
    This happened just minutes into my ride yesterday morning. Don't know how I managed to stay upright as the wheels were sliding on the slippy road.

Damned lawless cyclists.....:pac:

Yikes, I was pulling invisible brakes at my desk! Looks like you might've been in their front blind spot when they scanned to their left. The onus is on the driver to look around their pillars, but it's a danger to be aware of for accident avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

buffalo wrote: »
    Yikes, I was pulling invisible brakes at my desk! Looks like you might've been in their front blind spot when they scanned to their left. The onus is on the driver to look around their pillars, but it's a danger to be aware of for accident avoidance.

possibly, but any basic level of awareness causes a road user to keep checking after they've commenced the manouevre.

I was also cringing about what was going to happen next first time I watched it!

failure to stop at a stop sign compounding absolutely **** awareness.
    something somehting cyclcists and red lights.

did they even apologise to you or did they even see given that they dont seem to eve n demisted their windows

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

did they even apologise to you or did they even see given that they dont seem to eve n demisted their windows

It's ridiculous the amount of drivers that sit into their cars in the morning and think that all they need is to be able to see straight out the front of their windscreens.... crazy. You see people with all windows fogged up etc. Clearly shows idiocy and a lack of respect for ANY other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 Cycling Home last night the Fog was like soup! two cars passed me and the side and rear windows were fogged up. they also over took me directly into oncoming traffic and at speed! Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1 Cycling Home last night the Fog was like soup! two cars passed me and the side and rear windows were fogged up. they also over took me directly into oncoming traffic and at speed! Crazy stuff.

yeah it was an evening that required cyclists to be on high alert alright! I several cars edging out into traffic (presumably) waiting for someone to sound their horn to warn them as they clearly didn't have a view of what was coming :mad:

and I saw a car heading out the Clontarf road with no lights on in the dark & fog. Jesus Joe, why won't they just light up like the rest of us?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement