Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold showers - terrifying

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Go for a run on a muggy summers' day. Hop into a cold shower to cool off afterwards. Stand there for ten minutes. Get out; proceed to start sweating again immediately. FML.

Perfectly logical - a cold shower shuts down your pores and peripheral circulation, exactly the opposite of what the body needs to get rid of heat. So while you feel cold under the running cold water, your internal temperature is rising because your muscles are still burning calories after the exercise. Step out of the shower and you need to sweat like crazy to get your temperature back down to where it should be. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Had to do it for over a year through necessity. Gets easier after the first few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I just can't get into morning showers at all - I do my showering at night time.
    I certainly will not be trying the cold shower first thing in the morning, it's hard enough to get up and go out to work without adding fúcking hypothermia to the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Perfectly logical - a cold shower shuts down your pores and peripheral circulation, exactly the opposite of what the body needs to get rid of heat. So while you feel cold under the running cold water, you're internal temperature is rising because your muscles are still burning calories after the exercise. Step out of the shower and you need to sweat like crazy to get your temperature back down to where it should be. :cool:

i worked that out last year you nee hot shower to cool don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ScumLord wrote: »

Really? Men can barely reach that age now. Everything I can find says you were doing good if you hit fifty.

Men in Ireland today have a life expectancy of 79.4 and women 83.4: overall 81.4. In 1000AD it was not much lower, once you got through infancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Men in Ireland today have a life expectancy of 79.4 and women 83.4: overall 81.4. In 1000AD it was not much lower, once you got through infancy.

I'm not much of a one for the aul religion - but sure it even says 3 score and ten in the bible!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Cold showers are nothing. Try climbing Everest in a pair of shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I tried to give it another go this morning. Wasn't happening. There's self discipline for ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not sure about that. Any link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not sure about that. Any link?

It's in my books here but I'm sure you can look it up.

I'm not transcribing all of them but for example.
    One result was a high rate of infant mortality, though for those who survived childhood, life expectancy was not much less than it is now.
    Ann Williams, Senior Research Fellow, University of East Anglia.
    Portrait of Britain : 1000 AD. Published in History Today Volume 50 Issue 3 March 2000

Socrates died at the age of 70 and that was due to execution, not old age.

Statistics are often skewed due to high infant mortality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hmmm i dont think my old archaeology lecturers would agree and i wouldnt say Socrates was representative. In 1000AD we're talking about an era pre sanitation or penicilin but I certainly take your point about statistics. And there is no reason why a well nourished human back then unmolested by disease and fortunate with their teeth couldn't reach great ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I usually wake up homicidal and fantasising about my boss falling under the tube or a major terror attack stalling public transport around the city.

Got me wish today didn't I :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I hate anything cold touching my skin, someone putting their cold hands, or touching a cold bottle/can off my skin is one of my pet hates.

I wait until I get into work before getting a shower and depending how many others are using the water supply it fluctuates between just right, boiling hot, and freezing cold, and I spend more time getting in and out of the shower than actually using it.

yeah its a commonly misunderstood fact
    the older you get the highter your life expectancy

in the old days babys and mothers died in childbirth and infants died
    far far more than now which is why the average life expectancy was 30 odd but once you got over that they lived as long as we do

Hmmm i dont think my old archaeology lecturers would agree and i wouldnt say Socrates was representative. In 1000AD we're talking about an era pre sanitation or penicilin but I certainly take your point about statistics. And there is no reason why a well nourished human back then unmolested by disease and fortunate with their teeth couldn't reach great ages.

teeth wernt cleaned or cared for but hey also wernt ravewnged by sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm starting to develop a tolerance for it now. When I first tried it I could only last 30 seconds. I was hyperventilating and had to get out. Now I can last 10 minutes no problem. Eventually I'll start taking ice baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hmmm...

LOL, cold shower 'therapy'? It's probably a bit like those mad bastard monks who whack themselves with thorny branches - it's essentially self-harming to release endorphins and have a quasi-spiritual experience. ****ing hippy nonsense.

re the monks? It was in fact to take their minds off sex. Cold showers also, to subdue the flesh.

And look what happened when they gave all that up.... :eek:

Advertisement