Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold showers - terrifying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Swimming in the sea is always fecking freezing in this country but you do warm up after a little while and feel so virtuous and revived don't you? That's before you shiver and shake to change into outdoor clothes and you are Never dry enough for that be honest right?

Cold showers are VERBOTEN except for the masochists amongst us. No need and they are unnecessary. Unless someone else has used up all the hot water FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭gifted

Have a breakfast instead...sets you up for the day...

Cold showers my arse...next thing you'll be walking barefoot ..2017 for the love of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'll never understand the need some people have to torture themselves in the morning in the name of "health and wellbeing". Cold showers, long runs, kale smoothies, warm water with lemon etc etc. jesus like. I usually wake up homicidal and fantasising about my boss falling under the tube or a major terror attack stalling public transport around the city. Getting out of my warm bed a moment earlier than absolutely required to do something positively torturous would push me right over the edge.

Did people, say, 1000 years ago, for example, need to engage in all these contrived, precise behaviours (cold showers, vigourous exercise, eating a precise diet, maintaining a rigid sleeping regime etc...) in order to avoid feelings of depression and anxiety or is it only in the last 10 or so years that these psychological issues have become almost the norm, and if so, why don't we all acknowledge that it is features of the culture, living conditions, norms etc. of nowdays which is causing people to develop these mental states? If you are depressed or anxious, complex combinations of stuff caused it over a certain length of time and having a cold shower isn't going to fully mitigate those causes and cure your depression or anxiety, even if it does make you feel relatively invigorated for a short period of time and temporarily more able to actually feel emotions through the fog and numbness of the depression as the coldness of the water forces you to feel rather than think, like when you were a child, before you became depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Arevaci

For those not in the know, they improve circulation, eradicate skin dryness, improve hair and skin softness, combat depression and anxiety, massively improve alertness, can contribute to fat loss, testosterone increases etc etc etc.

It's Matty Hislop's first step in ridding yourself of pride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'd have one after the sauna or the steam room. Feels great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Did people, say, 1000 years ago, for example, need to engage in all these contrived, precise behaviours (cold showers, vigourous exercise, eating a precise diet, maintaining a rigid sleeping regime etc...) in order to avoid feelings of depression and anxiety or is it only in the last 10 or so years that these psychological issues have become almost the norm, and if so, why don't we all acknowledge that it is features of the culture, living conditions, norms etc. of nowdays which is causing people to develop these mental states? If you are depressed or anxious, complex combinations of stuff caused it over a certain length of time and having a cold shower isn't going to fully mitigate those causes and cure your depression or anxiety, even if it does make you feel relatively invigorated for a short period of time and temporarily more able to actually feel emotions through the fog and numbness of the depression as the coldness of the water forces you to feel rather than think, like when you were a child, before you became depressed.

1000 Years ago people lived till they were about 30 so thinking about showers and there complexion were not high in the agenda :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1000 Years ago people lived till they were about 30 so thinking about showers and there complexion were not high in the agenda :D:D

Actually, if you lived beyond 5 years of age, your life expectancy in the British Isles in 1000AD was over 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Reminds me of the time a friend of mine appeared in the local with a black eye , the result of a cold shower.

His wife threwv a shampoo bottle at him after he ran the hot tap in the sink freezing the arse off her.

So cold showers are proven to be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

But they really lived in those 30 years not sat like cabbages looking at a screen all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Is it like drinking raw eggs or other weird stuff lazy people do when trying to get healthy without doing any exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I'd say people that engage in this sort of behaviour are mostly svelte gym types.

Hippos leave the immersion blazing whilst enjoying a four-course breakfast before attempting to step into a superheated shower. The main difficulty is soaping thoroughly between the folds so they don't cause offence at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Mornings are rough enough, why would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Who the hell has a cold shower every single morning? Sounds bloody awful. Just occasionally. When you need waking up or its humid to ****.

I love a nice warm shower and it wakes me up fine. If I want to be invigorated I go for a run or a swim, I don't think sending myself into cardiac arrest-inducing hypothermic shock is quite as effective or as healthy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I always thought that cold showers were to rid you of "impure thoughts". Now why the fcuk would I want to do that?

Zaph wrote: »
    I always thought that cold showers were to rid you of "impure thoughts". Now why the fcuk would I want to do that?

Well if you want to disregard the consequences for your immortal soul, there's nothing I can say that'll help you.

Tsk!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I find it near impossible to rid myself of impure thoughts in a cold shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Why!!!! Showers are to be enjoyed, I like it just so hot its comfortable, but still tingles.

If I want soft skin I'll buy moisturiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

One evening the showers in my gym didn't have hot water and I took a cold one. Felt like a steely, rugged mountain-man for about ten minutes afterwards and was nursing a head cold for the rest of the week :pac: no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

3521477_o.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Some say after a hard night of modding a cold shower makes it all worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

OP you must be out of your mind.

I have a bit of psoriatic arthritis so I actually have to have a warm bath some days in the morning to be able to function after. Otherwise it takes way too long for the pains to subside.

A cold shower would literally kill me. (well you know, nearly literally like :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I hate showers, period. Those were the days when I had a backboiler that heated the water AND a bath. Best pain relief there is, soaking in a hot bath... Last few houses have had only a shower or a great huge bath that even with the immersion gave a bare 3 inches and cost a bomb.

Shower here; non electric. So blissfully happy back with a big bowl of hot water heated on the fire..

Second childhood time ;)

Can I ask please though if all the public baths were scrapped? Relative here used to go on a Friday night and pay a small amount for a hot bath.

But a shower , hot or cold? Yukk...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have actually started taking cold showers combined with the Wim Hof breathing method. I must admit i feel great affer it. Its better to do the breathing method first though. Just google Wim Hof if you have never heard of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Well how did you all get on, I had my warm suddy shower this morning, Have another one tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Well how did you all get on, I had my warm suddy shower this morning, Have another one tonight...

2 showers a day! Well la de da. No recession here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Shower in the morning? Waste of good water!

Slide out of bed, down a few cups of tea, throw on some overalls and head off out the back for a few hours exercise with a slash hook and a chainsaw. Invigorating! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I had a summer job in construction once. Part of it involved handling glass fibre insulation.

After handling that stuff you need to have a cold shower as if you have a hot one the small glass particles can get in to open pores. This according to the lads I worked with.

I got used to it after a few weeks. But still wonder if the lads were taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Grayson wrote: »
    I have that reaction to cold water. I start hyperventilating and have to get out as soon as I can.

Massive deep breath and breathe put slowly as you go in helps loads. Works the same when jumping into the sea etc

Advertisement