Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold showers - terrifying

Options
  • 21-03-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

So after an evening of watching videos and reading up on the benefits of cold showers last night, I gave it a go this morning.

For those not in the know, they improve circulation, eradicate skin dryness, improve hair and skin softness, combat depression and anxiety, massively improve alertness, can contribute to fat loss, testosterone increases etc etc etc.

The idea is also to take you out of your comfort zone, actively force yourself to do something that is really difficult to accomplish at the very start of your day. We're talking 3-5 minute jaunts here, and just cold. No starting hot and giving a blast of cold at the end. There's a great TED talk on the topic too.

Holy Jesus is all I can say! I rolled out of a warm bed, ran the shower cold, looked at myself in the mirror still nearly asleep and asked "what the f*** are you at?". I stepped in and nearly had a heart attack! I couldn't breathe, starting gasping for air, cold water hitting my skin like it was burning, my body was panicking and all i felt was fear. I only managed a minute max and it was awful, genuinely terrifying and uncomfortable but what a feeling afterwards! It puts you on a high for the rest of the day, coupled with crazy warmth and ludicrously soft skin.

Anyone else perform this torture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tried it once. Thought I was gonna die

I'll put up with the dry skin meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Haven't tried it, apart from one or two occasions where there was no other option, and have no intention of trying it again any time soon.

But your post gave me a right laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wijam

Always finish with a cold shower, about 1 minute, changed recently to 30 seconds cold, 30 seconds hot then finish with another 30 seconds cold

Great way to wake up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Like a plunge pool after a sauna, very invigorating....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

jesus that's an impressive list of cures for a cold shower, ill give it a go so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Like a plunge pool after a sauna, very invigorating....
    There's a world of difference between jumping into a cold pool, and having a cold shower.

Well I think there is anyway! Maybe it's all in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Our shower is playing up, so it's Russian Roulette as to whether you get to have a hot or a cold one. Or possibly a sneaky combination of the two to keep you on your toes. With scalding interludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have that reaction to cold water. I start hyperventilating and have to get out as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Apparently you loose out on the mental discipline side of things with plunges and hot/cold techniques. A kind of "you're a worthless piece of s*** if you can't force yourself to take 3 minutes of straight cold!". :D

Remains to be seen, day two is tomorrow and i'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't think I'll try it.

Certainly not just getting into a running cold shower.

I might be able to do it by turning down the temperature bit by bit over a long period, but that probably defeats the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I personally think, having lived through an era where hot running water was not available in the home, the whole 'cold shower' philosophy is hogwash. The invigorating affect is short lived. The calm pleasure of a hot shower also reaps benefits. And anybody who spouts the 'in my day all we had were cold showers and we were healthier' is away with the fairies. We suffered more ailments, developed more rheumatic complaints etc.

Enjoy the luxury of a hot shower!

Grayson wrote: »
    I have that reaction to cold water. I start hyperventilating and have to get out as soon as I can.

Exactly the same, but you can learn to overcome it which is one of the reasons I want to keep at it. And hopefully transfer the same skills into daily life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

It don't be long putting a kibosh on a hard on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

For those not in the know, they improve circulation, eradicate skin dryness, improve hair and skin softness, combat depression and anxiety, massively improve alertness, can contribute to fat loss, testosterone increases etc etc etc.

Those really in the know know that those are you benefits you get when you eat healthy and exercise.

Never been one for showers in the morning hot or cold myself. Too much like hard work when one has just awoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So after an evening of watching videos and reading up on the benefits of cold showers last night, I gave it a go this morning.

The idea is also to take you out of your comfort zone, actively force yourself to do something that is really difficult to accomplish at the very start of your day. We're talking 3-5 minute jaunts here, and just cold. No starting hot and giving a blast of cold at the end. There's a great TED talk on the topic too.

Holy Jesus is all I can say! I rolled out of a warm bed, ran the shower cold, looked at myself in the mirror still nearly asleep and asked "what the f*** are you at?". I stepped in and nearly had a heart attack! I couldn't breathe, starting gasping for air, cold water hitting my skin like it was burning, my body was panicking and all i felt was fear. I only managed a minute max and it was awful, genuinely terrifying and uncomfortable but what a feeling afterwards! It puts you on a high for the rest of the day, coupled with crazy warmth and ludicrously soft skin.

Anyone else perform this torture?

I suppose it would be like that morbid feeling you would get when trapped in a sinking ship. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I love a cold shower. Wakes me right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Exactly the same, but you can learn to overcome it which is one of the reasons I want to keep at it. And hopefully transfer the same skills into daily life.

I did a few years ago for a good few months, never looked forward to one, and rarely spent more than 5 minutes in there, but was glad to do it and definitely felt it was worthwhile. I probably will go back them sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Funny you mention it I watched a youtube video about it last night. Seemed like a good idea from the comfort of the couch with the fire blazing.
    It didn't seem like such a good idea at half 6 this morning when I ran the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I love to use a sauna but never partake in jumping into cold water after. It just seems like too much of a shock to the system - like the warnings given out about those Xmas day swims. It has to put a strain on the heart!

Ill skip the cold showers - thanks!

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    It didn't seem like such a good idea at half 6 this morning when I ran the tap.

Haha, I was the same, I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less. Standing there shaking before you even get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I do this every now and then. It helps if you don't give it too much thought - dive straight in and don't just stick your head or your toe in first. It can help psychologically if you use really bad language. After a minute or two, the shock should have subsided. I always feel quite good after it. Healthy, almost.

If a warm shower won't wake you up, nothing will:-)
    just stepping out of a warm shower into a cold room blows the cobwebs off

Why torture yourself in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People have been claiming all sorts of physical and mental benefits from masochism for aeons.

I'd like to see actual scientific evidence of the supposed benefit of this, otherwise it's no more valid than self-flaggelation or that crazy cutting ceremony the Muslims do.

I have taken cold showers on a number of occasions and I can safely say the only good part is putting on warm and dry clothes afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I never want to get out of a warm shower, its just so nice and toasty warm. Cold showers are invigorating and it makes me wanna get out and get dressed quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Reagan on Jimmy Carter:

"If a man tells you he takes a cold shower every morning and enjoys it, he'll lie about other things as well..."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do it properly next time - ice bath FTW!

It's a bit daunting to start off but once you properly submerge it's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Ministry of Hardship approves

chakotha wrote: »
    Reagan on Jimmy Carter:

"If a man tells you he takes a cold shower every morning and enjoys it, he'll lie about other things as well..."

If there's one common theme to cold showers from what I've read, is they don't get any more enjoyable and no one likes them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I usually carry an umbrella if cold showers are forecast. :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement