Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't stand when strangers touch me

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If a man is standing too close to me in a queue or on a train, a lighthearted "I hope that's your phone in your pocket" usually does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

A few years ago I went about a year when the only human contact I had was people brushing against me on the bus. I appreciated it greatly.

Do you need a hug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Most psychopaths have no sense of personal space - and the ones that have, don't care anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

You'd hate me so. I always give people a rub on the arm when im saying goodbye. Habit I picked up in work. I find it harmless and it'd never bother me if someone did it to me. I find it quite friendly.

It's actually a sign of dominance when people rub you on their arm. There was a study that if you do rub their arm while asking a favour, the success rate is higher.

It's actually a sign of dominance when people rub you on their arm. There was a study that if you do rub their arm while asking a favour, the success rate is higher.

Also between friends, acts so seemingly innocent such as patting on the shoulder suggests the one doing the patting is dominant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why have you taught yourself to tolerate that? If I had that kind of behaviour off someone in work that I wasn't into I'd have them up in front of HR. Tell them to go fck themselves.
    Why have you taught yourself to tolerate that? If I had that kind of behaviour off someone in work that I wasn't into I'd have them up in front of HR. Tell them to go fck themselves.

For being a tactile sort of person?

HR would laugh at you for not having the fcuking balls to say "would you mind not doing that, thank you".

I literally said to someone two weeks ago who walked up behind my desk and put his hand on my shoulders "please don't touch me" and magically he stopped.

Up in front of HR. Ffs. Get a grip.

Ffs. Get a grip.

Oh, I don't think you want to be suggesting that on this thread. Very Naughty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Oh, I don't think you want to be suggesting that on this thread. Very Naughty ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ah it seems I have found my people! I've had to move seats on the bus before when there are plenty of seats and someone has come along and basically sat with their thigh on top of mine. Then there's the people who read the newspaper and can't seem to turn a page without sticking their elbows into your chest.

I'm actually a really affectionate person but I hate hate HATE strangers being in my personal space for no reason whatsoever. It creeps me out and irritates me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Elbows and a big handbag/ backpack come in handy.

I hate when somebody's breathing down my neck in a queue......I always feel the need to swing my bag from one shoulder to another a couple of times, if that fails to get them to move back I stand sideways with my hand on hip, at least that way all they can touch is a pointy elbow :)

I never understand why they shuffle so close to you in queues anyway, not like they're going to get served any quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

stimpson wrote: »
    You can get the deluxe model here:

"guarantees you absolutely zero personal contact with other people"

Loved Strutter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

There this bird who keeps touching my leg in work.

Its too awkward to say anything, I try to make myself look visibly uncomfortable but she hasn't got the message yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Its good practice for when im in places there are by nature crowded(rush hour dart/luas) or when im in the dentist.

The person I mentioned is my mentor and a man of a certain age, he would be mortified if he thought it was in anyway a problem, we have too good a relationship to damage it by reporting to HR, I will be retired by the time they get around to it.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

jonon9 wrote: »
    e4eaf9c2-efa0-41ca-9cdb-0af5f2166bd5_1.4392f492ecb66cbe4c1d099aceefcafb.jpeg

I would gladly buy that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

People who stand too close behind me in a queue and brush off me, it makes me so mad. Irrational, but it makes me want to punch them. :o just why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Only way to solve your problem is get a car and buy books or move out of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Far fewer ppl bumping into and off me here in London, than Dublin!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Do you need a hug?
    Bit late now.

But yes. Yes I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

That's why I live in the countryside; if we meet other people we stay amiably on our own sides of the lane and don't do cheek kisses.

I'm a bit autistic about touching or being touched, except with loved ones, and then it is nice. Otherwise its an electric shock sensation and (inwardly, because I am polite) '''UUUUuugGGGhhhh, get the fcuk offa me, you whole other person, you!''

My nightmare job would be to work as a massage therapist.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

That's why I live in the countryside; if we meet other people we stay amiably on our own sides of the lane and don't do cheek kisses.

I'm a bit autistic about touching or being touched, except with loved ones, and then it is nice. Otherwise its an electric shock sensation and (inwardly, because I am polite) '''UUUUuugGGGhhhh, get the fcuk offa me, you whole other person, you!''

My nightmare job would be to work as a massage therapist.
    :)

This is sooo my daughter. Shes 13 and if someone touches off her lightly,
    she said she feels like shes screaming inside, hard knocks dont seem to matter, but little light touches can really upset her. Oh and dont even think its ok to try tiddle her, meltdown time .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

dollyk wrote: »
    This is sooo my daughter. Shes 13 and if someone touches off her lightly,
    she said she feels like shes screaming inside, hard knocks dont seem to matter, but little light touches can really upset her. Oh and dont even think its ok to try tiddle her, meltdown time .

Haha by tiddle, I think you mean what I call tickle...my poor Daddy, his speciality (in the long ago) was tickles and he could tickle all five of the others and then look at me with despair because he was likely to get a swift kick if he even thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You wouldn't be a fan of dogging then..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh yeah I hate strange people touching me. Strange, crusty people with their scabs and their gum disease.

Urugggghhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

OP be like (skip to the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCeQLeQiRP4

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I *hate* when someone invades my personal space, it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit and causes me to freak out😄 but it dependeds on the situation!

In situations where it's bound to happen out of no fault eg front of concert, bumping into someone on busy transport etc that doesn't bother me at all as there's nothing anyone can do about that.

But....I hate when men I don't know (eg not my friends) touch me or place their hands on me. Eg last week an older man in a bar was talking to a group of people and for some reason he placed his hand on my shoulder while doing so, I've never met this person and he was drunk.

I Squirmed away from him and I took his hand off me. If he didn't I would have told him to as I have done in the past.

Also last year there was an older man standing so close to me that I could feel his stomach on my back when there was ample space for him to step back. I got really annoyed with this and turned around to him infront of the group he was with and asked him to politely move away from me as he is standing too close to me. It happened again a few minutes later and safe to say that the next time I wasn't so polite, he was a little shocked by my reaction but I don't think I was being unreasonable😋

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I hate strangers touching me too. Especially when I'm not expecting it. Last year I was queuing in a busy shop, head stuck in my phone of course. Second till opened and I didn't notice. Lady behind me starts poking me and for some reason it made me so mad. I turned around and said it straight out "don't touch me". She pointed to the till and I marched off highly indignated. But quite embarrassed at how rude I'd been but meh she gave me a fright

I see old men 'accidentally' do it to young women all the time, its definitely a pervy control thing.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Far fewer ppl bumping into and off me here in London, than Dublin!

Agreed. There's a lot more respect for personal space in London.

You might get jostled or bumped into, but no-one is employing their hands. And I think its hands that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

stimpson wrote: »
    You can get the deluxe model here:

"guarantees you absolutely zero personal contact with other people"

I'd say that is also handy in rainy weather too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

I had the misfortune of trying to board a Luas at rush hour last week. Everyone was standing there with bags, arms out, standing facing their mates etc taking up huge amounts of space leading to people not being able to board. I jumped on anyway and I'd say another 5 or 6 people would have fit if everyone wasn't so selfishly precious.

Advertisement