Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't stand when strangers touch me

Options
  • 20-03-2017 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Not sexually. Or if we were to strike up casual conversation. What infuriates me is when I'm standing on a dart and someone sidles up so close beside me that they elbow me several times as they're getting things from their pockets. Or when I'm sitting at a desk in the library and someone rounds my chair so close that they touch me as they pass, sometimes with their jacket or bag. Or when I'm walking on a footpath with someone approaching and either they brush past me or I have to avoid them. Several incidents that fall into those categories happened to me only today. And no apology from any. It strikes me as insanely rude. I go to great efforts to avoid touching other people or invading their space, yet all around me it seems the Irish don't reciprocate. And woebetide if ever I say anything. Anyone else have the same reaction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Dont ever get the DART back from an Ireland match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Eh, generally I find that most people are courteous and doing their best. If someone's obviously throwing their weight around I just think "ya big dickhead" and forget about it. It's not as if being offended will change them.

Life's too short to sweat over the small things anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Not sexually. Or if we were to strike up casual conversation. What infuriates me is when I'm standing on a dart and someone sidles up so close beside me that they elbow me several times as they're getting things from their pockets. Or when I'm sitting at a desk in the library and someone rounds my chair so close that they touch me as they pass, sometimes with their jacket or bag. Or when I'm walking on a footpath with someone approaching and either they brush past me or I have to avoid them. Several incidents that fall into those categories happened to me only today. And no apology from any. It strikes me as insanely rude. I go to great efforts to avoid touching other people or invading their space, yet all around me it seems the Irish don't reciprocate. And woebetide if ever I say anything. Anyone else have the same reaction?

Yes, I hate beyond words when ppl brush against me on the street or violate the middle space on say a train seat, have taught myself to tolerate ppl casually touching me(have a colleague who touches ppl's upper arms or cups elbow's as a habit)
    I also hate when seats/tables etc in food or alcohol outlets so close to me that I have to move the other seats or get a clatter of their personal belongings when they move. Until I read your post I was sure from feedback that I was the only one and "over sensitive"

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

e4eaf9c2-efa0-41ca-9cdb-0af5f2166bd5_1.4392f492ecb66cbe4c1d099aceefcafb.jpeg

jonon9 wrote: »
    e4eaf9c2-efa0-41ca-9cdb-0af5f2166bd5_1.4392f492ecb66cbe4c1d099aceefcafb.jpeg

Where can I get one of these? it would save me a lot of pain from the brusings I get from ppl knocking against me in the street/luas ect.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    touches ppl's upper arms or cups elbow's

This also drives me mad, don't know why but I hate it when people do this to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I hate the space invaders you get when standing in a queue.
    I always seem to find something up high I need to step back to look at when I feel them behind me.
    They sort of get the hint then when you walk on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

You'd hate me so. I always give people a rub on the arm when im saying goodbye. Habit I picked up in work. I find it harmless and it'd never bother me if someone did it to me. I find it quite friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Where can I get one of these? it would save me a lot of pain from the brusings I get from ppl knocking against me in the street/luas ect.

You can get the deluxe model here:

"guarantees you absolutely zero personal contact with other people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

To clarify, as I said before, I don't mind if friends chatting to me, or even strangers, touch me because of whatever urge they have for physical contact! The problem for me is when I'm navigating the world as an anonymous individual and people think it's okay to invade my space (as detailed before!) when they could avoid it. I don't mind post-match Darts, crowded pubs, etc; physical contact doesn't bother me. It's the rudeness that I see as being implicit in the action that bothers me.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    You can get the deluxe model here:

"guarantees you absolutely zero personal contact with other people"
    Nah! the rounded top makes me feeling claustrophobic.
    Wouldn't need any of this if ppl would just pay attention to their surrounding and not hit off other ppl cause they preoccupied.
    Some of the bruises I have from just walking down High st here, from ppl brushing against or walking into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno how people avoid this on rush hour Darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nah! the rounded top makes me feeling claustrophobic.

I'm sure the JD and coke would take the edge off.

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm sure the JD and coke would take the edge off.
    Would be worse, as im allergic and projectile vomiting and this kind of space would be BBBBBBBBBAAAAAADDDDDD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

There is no excuse for queue touching, do they really think its OK to breathe all over the back of my neck.

I make a point of moving back and nudging them off to a safe distance, a second infraction is dealt with harshly.

noodler wrote: »
    I dunno how people avoid this on rush hour Darts.
    For me, rock music on phone and a window seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Would be worse, as im allergic and projectile vomiting and this kind of space would be BBBBBBBBBAAAAAADDDDDD!

A cheesy knob on the earlobes would sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I suggest moving to the countryside's if this is one of the main gripes in your day to day.

Bit neurotic really.

A cheesy knob on the earlobes would sort that out.
    OR ppl could show the same consideration I do and pay attention to where they and their possessions are in relation to other ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't like touchy feely strangers. People need to keep their paws and their jabby elbows to themselves and stay out of my personal space. It's understandable if there's not much space, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For me, rock music on phone and a window seat.

I guess I meant the 80% of people who don't get seats on a rush hour Dart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Maybe walk if its not too far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've noticed an increase in this tbh, I'm close to going all Bitter Sweet Symphony some day

A few years ago I went about a year when the only human contact I had was people brushing against me on the bus. I appreciated it greatly.

It's called public, folks. Brace yourself for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

0048.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I used to find that uncomfortable on the Tube but then quickly realised you can't fall over and you can even get 15 min sleep with no risk of falling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes, I hate beyond words when ppl brush against me on the street or violate the middle space on say a train seat, have taught myself to tolerate ppl casually touching me(have a colleague who touches ppl's upper arms or cups elbow's as a habit)
    I also hate when seats/tables etc in food or alcohol outlets so close to me that I have to move the other seats or get a clatter of their personal belongings when they move. Until I read your post I was sure from feedback that I was the only one and "over sensitive"

Bear with me:
    1. What does violating the middle space on a train seat entail?
    2. What's a cupping of an elbow?

I could make a guess at 1 but I've been doing all sorts of things to my elbow to try to figure out 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't go out to Dollymount after midnight so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why have you taught yourself to tolerate that? If I had that kind of behaviour off someone in work that I wasn't into I'd have them up in front of HR. Tell them to go fck themselves.

Advertisement