Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What supermarket would you do the majority of your grocery shopping in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I split mostly between Aldi and M&S. I think that both have really good food, although obviously M&S does cost more.

I buy our meat mostly from the local butcher, so that doesn't tend to come from a supermarket. I use the nearby Tesco Express and SuperValu for top up shopping and I never ever use Dunnes. I don't like the way they operate or treat their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The staff at my local Dunnes look like they're chewing on wasps. The women are the worst.

When I said I was moving I got hugs all round from staff. There are some things only they have that I like. And always warm greetings and good service

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LIDL and ALDI, handily opposite each other close to me.

The odd time I go to Tesco or Supervalu I'm shocked at the cost of a basketful.
    The local Supervalu (Killester) is one of the better ones, apart from a kind of crazy car park, but I'd never do a full shop there.

Occasional trips out to Maxela in Charlestown for Eastern European tasties.
    Meat from FX Buckley's factory outlet in Rathcoole, or Keenan and Kennedy's in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I said I was moving I got hugs all round from staff. There are some things only they have that I like. And always warm greetings and good service

It's good that you met some nice people. Can't say they are nice where I live however.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lidl for most things.. Dunnes for stuff like milk, cans of coke, those damn addictive sweet chili crisps and bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

M&S although I'd get the essentials (milk, etc) in Tesco during the week usually. Closest place to me is Donnybrook Fair which is generally incredible quality but astronomically expensive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

This is for people who moved their weekly shop to ALDI/Lidl from one of the others.

I know each weekly shop is different from person to person, but how much have you saved a week by changing ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Diarmuid B wrote: »
    Supervalue in our hometown is pretty shocking as well- layout of store is terrible, staff are not very helpful and some of the produce- fruit,veg and bread is bordering on rotten and still being sold.
    Lidl is the best when it comes to fruit and veg- always fresh and guaranteed to be good quality.

Do we live in the same town? :D
    I actually refuse to even set foot into our Supervalu at this point, the moment you enter you get the stench from the butcher's counter which is all the way back at the end of the store. Pretty disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

We have a weekly home delivery from Tesco and then usually a couple of visits to Aldi during the week. We get all our meat in our local butcher.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Do we live in the same town? :D
    I actually refuse to even set foot into our Supervalu at this point, the moment you enter you get the stench from the butcher's counter which is all the way back at the end of the store. Pretty disgusting.

Supervalus vary greatly as a ??family franchise??

When I went into the one in Dingle Town I could not believe my eyes. The word "emporium" comes to mind. Top of the range and all wondrously laid out etc.

The family also own a local 4 star hotel.

The one here is along the same lines. Aldi and Lidl cater for most and SV add the gourmet and luxury stuff and add the cost too.

I refused to buy coffee from the machine there for the cost !

Certainly no smell and all is fresh and clean.

Seems SV is as good or bad as the family who run/own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Aldi (one particular store, can't stand the other one in town, too tight and busy) mainly - we'd be poverty stricken if not for their awesome nappies.
    Butcher for, well, meat. They do a savage monthly deals. We do pick up the odd extra steak or two in Aldi when we run out.

When we first moved over we automatically went to Tesco. Then realised they were properly expensive. We moved on to Asda and were very happy as it was notably cheaper. Started picking up a few bits in Aldi every now and again too. Now it's all pretty much all Aldi - I'd say we're spending close to 50% less than we were in Tesco back then. Fresh fruit and veg is fresh fruit and veg, if you can get it cheaper somewhere I don't understand why you'd pay more for the same thing.

I still go to Asda for the beer deals though :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The staff at my local Dunnes look like they're chewing on wasps. The women are the worst.
    They chew those wasps so you don't get stung.....Now thats putting the customer first.........;)

Aldi in Ireland is far better than in England . I have a lot of experience of both .

A well run Super Value has its attractions as well.........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I like the speed of the cashiers in Lidl and Aldi. They need some music though.

No, please! The fact that they don't pollute your ears with awfulness is one of the reasons I love shopping there! Especially once christmas rolls round, around mid-September....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Surprised Aldi is the highest. Its awful in there - i find the food so junky and the fruit/veg of terrible quality. I think in terms of the budget shops Lidl is better....but i still would only shop there if stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

blinding wrote: »
    Aldi in Ireland is far better than in England . I have a lot of experience of both .

A well run Super Value has its attractions as well.........

It think it very much varies store to store, regardless of country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

theteal wrote: »
    It think it very much varies store to store, regardless of country.

Very different in Portugal too, much more pallets on floor etc, interesting though, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I mostly go to Dunne's and sometimes Supervalu, they are both very close to my house but Dunne's is bigger and has a better selection.
    Also Dunne's do the vouchers where you get €10 off for every €50 you spend so that comes in handy.
    There's also a Lidl nearby but I never venture in there, I must start though my mother swears by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Aldi mostly. I find their more premium lines (specially selected, organic etc.) brilliant. Fruit and veg is a bit hit and miss but I find quality of fruit and veg in all supermarkets in Ireland poor. I get some branded items in Tesco and meat and fish mostly at independent butcher or fishmonger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I do the majority of mine in Aldi, but generally have to go to Tesco to pick up a few bits that I can't get in Aldi. Tesco purely because there's one quite near to me whereas my nearest Dunnes is the other side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Aldi is where I get most of my stuff. It's well priced, good quality and is the closest to me. I get a few specific items in Tesco that can't be bought there and a few bits in Holland and Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Aldi more than Lidl for the 'big shop' as it's on the way home - even though it's so convenient we don't really do a big shop.

Otherwise, if we run out of milk and bread and so on, there's a nearby Tesco Express.

Don't really go to Dunnes or Supervalu as they're not that convenient.

I don't think the quality of fruit and veg is much different at all, and don't care about the 'shopping experience' either.

Patww79 wrote: »

:D Thank you. You are the first person I have met who has been there. I did not actually buy anything; just wandered round, awed.

Noveight wrote: »
    The Supervalu in my area has had a bit of a monopoly until now, even forced one of the smaller grocers in the town to close. Should be interesting to see how they weather the storm of competition once Aldi opens up :)

That clearly happened in the small town near me.

Aldi and lidl both moved in just a little further out of town.

SV retaliated by going deli and gourmet. And did it very well indeed. Not my budget or choice but that is fine too. I can look!

Lots of different places. Supervalue usually but also Fresh, farmers market, and now and then Fallon and Byrne. I also like Aldi. Lovely chocolate and biscuits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Once a month a bulk shop at lidl in the big city and the weekly stuff at centra or londis
    There are no other shops in our little town

Does Shoplifting count............. Think of the Risk.....its kind of flattering really....

• Advertisement

Advertisement