Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What supermarket would you do the majority of your grocery shopping in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I use dunnes stores mainly. Centra I use for one off purchases lidl and aldi when they have something on offer that I want. I also use my local butchers. Won't touch the other supermarkets in my area with a 10ft barge poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

These days I mainly have the "pleasure" of shopping here.

This is the least busy I have ever seen it. Usually it is a bull bate.

Welcome to supermarkets Goa style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Whole Foods Market in Kensington on the weekdays, Monoprix in Paris on the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Supervalu mostly, however there is an Aldi opening in the locality soon so that will probably bring a change to my routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Noveight wrote: »
    Supervalu mostly, however there is an Aldi opening in the locality soon so that will probably bring a change to my routine.

Where I live we had a local supermarket that became a Supervalu back in the early 2000's. Their was no own brands. Shop opened Monday to Saturday 9=6 and they used turn off the lights early. When Tesco came to town they soon changed their tune! Regarding oping hours and own brands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mixture of Aldi, LIDL, Tesco and local wholesalers (butchers and an Asian place). All close to where we live.

Marks and Spencer is essentially for people that want to maintain a facade of affluence with a secret love of TV dinners

Don't know how or why anyone would do their whole week's shopping in there or even close to it, but the quality of their good really is great to pick up the odd few things here or there. It's a bit out of my way though so I'd only go once a month at most and try to stick to about 6 items or less.

I'd mainly go with Aldi especially since there's one about 20 feet/3 doors from the front door of my workplace, them and Lidl are generally just better value. Dunnes are the only ones I'd try to avoid on account of treating their staff like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Pretty much Dunnes, exclusively, as I drive past one on my way home. Occasionally I'll call into Lidl or Aldi if I have nothing else to do and might come out with a couple of bits. Can't remember the last time I was in a Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Lidl. It's very near where I live, it's cheap, it has everything I want. In and out in 30 mins, suits me fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Where I live we had a local supermarket that became a Supervalu back in the early 2000's. Their was no own brands. Shop opened Monday to Saturday 9=6 and they used turn off the lights early. When Tesco came to town they soon changed their tune! Regarding oping hours and own brands!

The Supervalu in my area has had a bit of a monopoly until now, even forced one of the smaller grocers in the town to close. Should be interesting to see how they weather the storm of competition once Aldi opens up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sainsburys innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Depends where I am shopping. I was spoiled in Killarney as we had Dunnes's, a lovely one with friendly staff, Aldi, Lidl and two Tescos.

My nearest small town here has aldi and lidl and a Supervalu that is the town's deli and posh shop.. not as much so as the one in Dingle but the same idea . Mostly way above my price range....

LIDL and ALDI are my main venues. I check Supervalu for offers but only buy there the standardised price items, eg milk, bread, butter, water.

Sometimes like last week I go further afield; Dunne;s then and tesco . Wherever I can get reduced food mostly as price matters a great deal . Not a meat eater so that eases the burden.

After being housebound decades shopping is a joy and a privilege for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Sainsbury's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Generally Tesco as in small shopping centre with newsagent and shops plus parking. Often shop online and no issues either

Supervalu has small car park and full of mother and child spots. Plus no one ever at the superscan points. Do prefer their meat though.

Dunnes is in Blanchardstown Centre. Might pop in if there for other reason but wouldn't go specially.

Currently paying for Tesco online with my credit card and get Supervalu vouchers so use them once a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I do online Tesco and use Lidl for certain items and then Dunnes for toiletries and decent brand names. Aldi the odd time and rarely go to Supervalu though they do have lovely wines.

lidl, and am still often shocked by the low total. Hard to rely that they have everything you want every time but great for the dry goods, freezer stuff and staples and the odd 'jaysus I'll try that' novelty.

Would pop into M&S en route home from work for fruit and veg the odd time.

Have nothing against tesco but the only one near is a metro and therefore pretty useless.

SuperValu? Jaysus gwan I'm not made of money.

Dunnes - IN MY EXPERIENCE - treat their staff like crap, their layouts confuse me and ...Everything feels like it's till the 80s. Not for me Trevor.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

amtc wrote: »
    Generally Tesco as in small shopping centre with newsagent and shops plus parking. Often shop online and no issues either

Supervalu has small car park and full of mother and child spots. Plus no one ever at the superscan points. Do prefer their meat though.

Dunnes is in Blanchardstown Centre. Might pop in if there for other reason but wouldn't go specially.

Currently paying for Tesco online with my credit card and get Supervalu vouchers so use them once a month!

I despise that Tesco, it's grim, although it's where we mostly shop too because SuperValu is too expensive for main shopping (although I love their bakery) and Dunnes in the centre is hassle because of traffic and parking. I wish they'd bulldoze Roselawn and build a decent, modern Tesco in its place. Won't go near Lidl or Aldi unless I have to, they're just far too depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I like the speed of the cashiers in Lidl and Aldi. They need some music though.

You'd pay extra for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I would use Waitrose, if they existed in my local town.

Regards butchers? 'Nico Broad Spine' said it all for me:
    Great quality where I go. As for being expensive, I honestly don't know because I buy what I need, and like, and just pay. I don't compare their price with the other stores as I wouldn't be buying elsewhere regardless of price.

Nailed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm imagining 2 Unlimited on constaint loop, your items being flung over to the packing shelf as soon as they've been scanned.

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no packing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

cbreeze wrote: »
    Lidl for the main shop which is a short drive away
    Supervalu/Spar for top up - walking distance
    Tesco for top up and also to spend the Tesco gift cards I get from answering questions on Irish Opinions Surveys:D

just so you know Lidl do top up on major networks without extra charge.

I stopped going to tesco. i was in tesco in camden st. and the manager there had it for me. i put the card for contactless before he asked me to, so he was shouting out of his lungs like soup nazi.

we do balanced shopping in lidl and aldi fro price, or local asian whole sale markets. prices are best for lidl and aldi but quality you have to check. i bought some protein drink for euro but later saw there's like 40% of sugar in the small bottle. but fruit and veg is unbeaten i say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm imagining 2 Unlimited on constaint loop, your items being flung over to the packing shelf as soon as they've been scanned.

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no packing here.

A blast of Abba would suit the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Lidl, its a 5 minute walk, I know the stuff I like and the cashiers are fast and little bs. No asking for poxy club card!

Tesco I suppose. Tesco seems to have more offers than Dunnes and is cheaper overall. I prefer Lidl to Aldi, although I get the impression most people do - Aldi just seems a bit less inviting or something. Some of the own-brand stuff from Aldi beats it's Lidl equivilants hands down though, like the porridge, weetabix, tea and sliced bread. I also buy stuff like toiletries out of the likes of 2 euro store, they seem like the cheapest place for good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I shop in Tesco in Naas but their stock control can be hit and miss sometimes. 99% of the time I can get the weekly shop there and use super valu for top up during the week, which has a fantastic fresh food selection (breads, pastries, fish, meat etc). Plus Tesco always has offers on things that you can stock up on long term like toilet roll, tinned food, frozen food and so on.
    It also helps that whilst I'm there I can browse their magazines for free. The store also has a separate butchers, fish shop, natural bakery, Costa, Boots, a Boston Barbers and an Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Tesco but I'm increasingly doing more in Aldi/Lidl. Reason for this is they keep chopping and changing things for example, I used to get a box of own brand tissues there, 65c for 250 sheets. All of a sudden they stop selling them. Same story with their own band UHT milk, just disappeared from the shelves. Price of their own brand herbal teas just doubled over night last month. It's no wonder Tesco are going downhill as that sort of thing just forces ppl to shop elsewhere. Can't rely on them anymore.

learn_more wrote: »
    Tesco but I'm increasingly doing more in Aldi/Lidl. Reason for this is they keep chopping and changing things for example, I used to get a box of own brand tissues there, 65c for 250 sheets. All of a sudden they stop selling them. Same story with their own band UHT milk, just disappeared from the shelves. Price of their own brand herbal teas just doubled over night last month. It's no wonder Tesco are going downhill as that sort of thing just forces ppl to shop elsewhere. Can't rely on them anymore.

Tesco can be lethal for discontinuing products. We were talking to the staff one day and they say popular items can be discontinued and they've no say in the ordering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I have fully functional taste buds - so Lidl and Aldi are out.

So, Dunnes usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lidl, and am still often shocked by the low total. Hard to rely that they have everything you want every time but great for the dry goods, freezer stuff and staples and the odd 'jaysus I'll try that' novelty.

Would pop into M&S en route home from work for fruit and veg the odd time.

Have nothing against tesco but the only one near is a metro and therefore pretty useless.

SuperValu? Jaysus gwan I'm not made of money.

Dunnes - IN MY EXPERIENCE - treat their staff like crap, their layouts confuse me and ...Everything feels like it's till the 80s. Not for me Trevor.

I am gobsmacked at the checkout every time and the same in Dunnes. So much food for so little money.

lol re Supervalu. But they have clean loos and one of the staff is a neighbour. The odd bargain; great blocks of the mild Cheddar I like for E4.

Dunnes is special for me. I got to know all the staff and many of the regulars before I moved and miss that shop. I was in Dunne;s elsewhere last week and the same. Friendly staff. Lovely folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The staff at my local Dunnes look like they're chewing on wasps. The women are the worst.

Advertisement