Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What supermarket would you do the majority of your grocery shopping in?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭

Our local town has a Tesco, Lidl Aldi, Super-valu and other convince stores.

Over all when everything would be added up we'd get the most in Tesco.
    Staff are lovely and store is well generally stocked and clean. It's also just the right size to do a weekly shop. I find some large Tesco's very daunting.
    Lidl/Aldi would be about the same some weeks we'd get more in one than another. Staff are nicer in out local Lidl but Aldi staff seem under more pressure. Never had any real issue with either over the years. We'd get a good chunk at Lidl some weeks.
    Our local SuperValu is a disaster. Theirs still Halloween and Christmas stock on display beside the Easter eggs. Their deli counter is a disaster and fresh cakes and breads can be left out for days. The butcher counter can be okay at times but the store overall is a poor and it has improved a lot over the years. Staff can be a little rude at times. Their special offers also can be impossible to find or they don't take them off when their finished.Now other SuperValus are great but ours isn't.
    We'd rarely go to Dunnes but we worked out what our shop would have cost in Tesco and even with getting the voucher in Dunnes we didn't make any real savings. Staff can be very hit as miss in Dunnes in my experience.

What supermarket would you do the majority of your grocery shopping in? 261 votes

Tesco
    0% 2 votes
    Dunnes
    16% 44 votes
    Lidl
    12% 33 votes
    Aldi
    22% 60 votes
    SuperValu
    35% 92 votes
    Other
    11% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Supervalue in our hometown is pretty shocking as well- layout of store is terrible, staff are not very helpful and some of the produce- fruit,veg and bread is bordering on rotten and still being sold.
    Lidl is the best when it comes to fruit and veg- always fresh and guaranteed to be good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

Supervalu up until a few weeks ago. Lidl all the way now.
    30 euro in the difference of a weekly shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Tesco, Dunnes Stores, M & S and SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I shop in aldi. I get a few things in tesco that they don't have but I reckon I save all least 20 euro a week going to aldi. That's nearly 1000 euro a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I buy from smaller shops on the way home.
    Fresher fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Lidl, gave up on SuperValu as staff on tills are as slow as fcuk and want to have a full blown conversation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Do an occasional big shop (every 2-4 weeks) in Aldi for things like kitchen roll, toilet paper, sponges, tin foil, tinned foods, and will get fruit/veg while I'm at it.

Regular weekly shop is in Supervalu though. It's just a more enjoyable shop, has more choice and the one near us has a great butchers.

Wouldn't mind Dunnes but there's none near close by. Don't go to Lidl as Aldi fits that bill. Wouldn't go near Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I did some extensive market research yesterday.

1 bottle of Smithwicks pale ale:

Lidl - €2
    Supervalue - €2.70 (2.50 each if you buy 4)
    Tesco - €3.05 (2.50 each if you buy 4 but not labelled as such)

Will be shopping more in Lidl from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

marks and spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Winterlong wrote: »
    I did some extensive market research yesterday.

1 bottle of Smithwicks pale ale:

Lidl - €2
    Supervalue - €2.70 (2.50 each if you buy 4)
    Tesco - €3.05 (2.50 each if you buy 4 but not labelled as such)

Will be shopping more in Lidl from now on.

Lidl's own Pale Ale at €1.89 is great value, and taste's great too, their double IPA at €2.45 is also fanstastic.

Lidl do great 50% off weekend offers - when they do olive oil/coffee/loo roll etc, we buy as much as we can have them stored up for months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP here again. I live in a small enough town so the issue with queuing is never an issue with the supermarkets. The Lidl staff are actually very chatty. Which would be considered ununsual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Lidl or Aldi. Why pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Aldi, Lidl and Tesco in that order.

iDave wrote: »

Why drive a qashqai+2 when you can drive a Dacia Duster?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thought they were the same thing anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Supervalu's are rank, some of the old superquinns are alright though.

Tesco is depressing, Dunnes is a time machine, and LIDL and ALDI make me feel dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

They're the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Mostly ALDI, get my clonakilty blackpudding in super value every fortnight or so, shop the odd time at Tesco when I want to get rid of my coppers at the self service checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

iDave wrote: »

Because I can get everything I'm looking for and the brands I want elsewhere.

We have all bar Supervalu here plus mace spar etc. I always go the main shop in Dunnes as I'm guaranteed they'll have what I want. Lidl is where I stock up on biscuits but nothing else. Greengrocers for fruit and veg and the butcher for all meats.
    I don't mind paying more for what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Dunnes, but mainly because it's only a 5 minute walk so I don't really do a big weekly shop.

Buy coffee, tea and some other stuff when in Lidl.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Thought they were the same thing anyway:rolleyes:

Did I say they weren't? :rolleyes:

Because I can get everything I'm looking for and the brands I want elsewhere.

We have all bar Supervalu here plus mace spar etc. I always go the main shop in Dunnes as I'm guaranteed they'll have what I want. Lidl is where I stock up on biscuits but nothing else. Greengrocers for fruit and veg and the butcher for all meats.
    I don't mind paying more for what I want.

Out of interest are your local butchers expensive?
    I often read on boards to head to your local butcher for a deal on meat. We've two in our town and their really expensive and quality is questionable at one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Mixture of Aldi, LIDL, Tesco and local wholesalers (butchers and an Asian place). All close to where we live.

Marks and Spencer is essentially for people that want to maintain a facade of affluence with a secret love of TV dinners

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Aldi, best value for money as far as I'm concerned.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Out of interest are your local butchers expensive?
    I often read on boards to head to your local butcher for a deal on meat. We've two in our town and their really expensive and quality is questionable at one of them.

Great quality where I go. As for being expensive, I honestly don't know because I buy what I need, and like, and just pay. I don't compare their price with the other stores as I wouldn't be buying elsewhere regardless of price.

Great quality where I go. As for being expensive, I honestly don't know because I buy what I need, and like, and just pay. I don't compare their price with the other stores as I wouldn't be buying elsewhere regardless of price.

We wouldn't mind for paying for quality but the butchers in our town wouldn't be great and would be a lot more expensive than the supermarket. Now butchers in neighboring towns are good but we're unlucky I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Marks and Spencer is essentially for people that want to maintain a facade of affluence with a secret love of TV dinners

In fairness their curry meal kits are much nicer than the tesco/sv equivalent. (tv dinner)
    And they do great Meal for 2 deals (not tv dinner)

And I dont think they sell Moussaka in any other supermarket other than there.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Lidl for the main shop which is a short drive away
    Supervalu/Spar for top up - walking distance
    Tesco for top up and also to spend the Tesco gift cards I get from answering questions on Irish Opinions Surveys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Roughly 50/50 between Dunnes and Lidl. I find Dunnes to be the best of the big three I also happen to live beside a very good Dunnes. I avoid Tesco like the plague as I can not stand any of they're shops.

I find Supervalu to be more like a a large Spar or Centra rather than a proper Supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tesco would be the closest by a distance so I do most of it there. Go to lidl and aldi when I am driving.

Advertisement