Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan 2019 World Cup draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

So New Zealand or South Africa in the Quarters so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England get a horror draw again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Does this mean winning the pool would see us face South Africa or New Zealand in the quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Grand day now! Lovely start to a glorious day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Yes!!!! Great group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Easiest pool by far. Just depends on how pools are linked and we should make a first semi ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Does that mean we will play rsa most likely in the quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The textbook definition of "luck of the Irish".

Jammy.

If you don't get out of your pool, you will only have yourselves to blame!

How many friggin times have NZ had Italy in their pool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Jaysus even USA and Samoa/Tonga are not easy rides for England... Rough rough group.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Great pool, but quarter options not great. Need to win the group anyway to avoid NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

KBurke85 wrote: »
    So New Zealand or South Africa in the Quarters so

Is that certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Good group but is route to final SA and NZ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Any link to confirm winner of A plays RU of B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Going on Past world cups its group a v b in quarters and c v d

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A vs B and C vs D has been the way in prevoius tournaments. No reason to think it's any different this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

iDave wrote: »
    Good group but is route to final SA and NZ?

It definitely won't be that anyway.
    If we're against Group B in quarter finals then it'll be group C or D who provide the opposition in semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Maybe we will win the group and face Italy? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be another all blacks vs Australia final

We have a very good chance of topping our pool. Can't take Japan for granted and we get a taste of them next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Quarter Pairing based on favourites would be Ireland v South Africa with the winners playing Australia in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Yeah Winners/RU Group A V's RU/Winners Group B (if protocols for last WC followed). So basically we have to win our group

I'm not as cock-a-hoop as some with the draw. Yup, very handy pool and we should top it. If we don't, it's a complete disaster and we're on our way home in the QF by the hands of the Kiwis.

If we top it, as expected, we'll have a bloody tough game against SA in the QF which is arguably more difficult than either or our more recent QF ties. If we go out at the QF stage, the tournament will be seen as a failure given it will boil down to that one game.

The only big plus I can see is that hopefully we won't suffer the injuries that we did in 2015 through a massively physical encounter like we had against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If you're Conor O'Shea you might be pretty happy with that. You'd prefer someone like Scotland as a 2nd seed but they've beaten South Africa who are in turmoil at the moment.

It gives them a great target to work towards at least. The way the fixtures fall will be absolutely crucial for them.

Buer wrote: »

The only big plus I can see is that hopefully we won't suffer the injuries that we did in 2015 through a massively physical encounter like we had against France.

The other big plus is that if we win against SA someone gets Bigbok's house!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm not as cock-a-hoop as some with the draw. Yup, very handy pool and we should top it. If we don't, it's a complete disaster and we're on our way home in the QF by the hands of the Kiwis.

If we top it, as expected, we'll have a bloody tough game against SA in the QF which is arguably more difficult than either or our more recent QF ties. If we go out at the QF stage, the tournament will be seen as a failure given it will boil down to that one game.

I understand the concerns, and no one wants to get ahead of themselves, but that is quite literally the best draw we could have hoped for.

Swap us with any of the other Band 1 countries and it gets a lot worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd rather face South Africa then NZ or Aus in the quarter final I think, but I'm not thrilled with that. The reality is that our group is the one everyone would have wanted to face in the Quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Guessing Romania will be the Euro1 team in our group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ah will you stop! Any QF we have to play is going to be a massive pain in the arse one way or the other. If we do win the group, SA are no worse a draw than most other draws we'd be likely to get apart from maybe Scotland who we can't get anyway. If we have to play NZ we have ourselves to blame.

Can't find a reason not to be delighted with that draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If what I have read is accurate, Ireland's most likeliest opponents in any QF/SF are SA & Aus. Tough games and that but rwc knockout games aren't supposed to be easy.

So Ireland have Scotland & Japan I in the group and can't meet NZ/Eng until a final providing Ireland win their group, which they should do. That is about as good as it gets imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

really don't understand the attitude

a given that we'll lose to NZ - sure why bother going

I understand the concerns, and no one wants to get ahead of themselves, but that is quite literally the best draw we could have hoped for.

Completely agreed.

If you are to define a "perfect draw" you ideally want the easiest seed 2 and seed 3 teams in your own group and the easiest seed 2 team beside you.

I think we probably got exactly that.

Yup, to get anywhere, you need to beat a good team. Or in this case, South Africa. So I can't really complain.

The weak pool is a double edged sword. We need to make sure we're not undercooked but, with some development work between now and then, we should have 23 guys going into the QF who are very fresh and ready for a big match.

SA could be a completely different beast in 2.5 years than they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

so what's the Irish group?

They could be. Their next coaching appointment is going to be hugely important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah...they could be worse.

we lost to Scotland not so long ago :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Guessing Romania will be the Euro1 team in our group?

Aye.

we lost to Scotland not so long ago :pac:

Scotland are no walkovers for us, but I don't think it's cocky to claim them as the ideal 2nd seed opponents. I think even Scottish fans would agree with that.

Just as I'd say most teams would have wanted us as 1st seeds.

• Advertisement

Scotland are no walkovers for us, but I don't think it's cocky to claim them as the ideal 2nd seed opponents. I think even Scottish fans would agree with that.

Yeah looking at it on the basis of results and pedigree, Scotland are definitely 4th in that second tier and we're 4th in the first tier (albeit I don't think there is anything between us and Australia at the moment).

How South Africa progress over the next two years is going to be critical to us.

It's interesting.

Yeah but

UMwc901.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's a very good pool to be and topping it should be very achievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Completely agreed.

If you are to define a "perfect draw" you ideally want the easiest seed 2 and seed 3 teams in your own group and the easiest seed 2 team beside you.

Japan are not easier than Georgia and Italy.

Yeah but

UMwc901.png

C2UyAbqWEAA2RNG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

This group should afford us to rotate the entire squad through the group matches and hopefully have close to a full strength fit team for the quarter-final.

Completely agreed.

Georgia minus Gorgodze and Khisvilasci (sp?) are a lot less tame beast. Japan would beat them imo
    Plus add in that Japan play that fast, wide rugby game that tends to exploit us at times
    I'm really excited about the summer tour now

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Georgia minus Gorgodze and Khisvilasci (sp?) are a lot less tame beast. Japan would beat them imo
    Plus add in that Japan play that fast, wide rugby game that tends to exploit us at times
    I'm really excited about the summer tour now

Yeah that's all the talk in the office at the moment. This changes the context of the tour a decent bit this summer.

I wonder will this impact Joe's thinking on how to approach this tour now. Will definitely want one close to full strength team to really test their weaknesses and give us some ideas going into the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

What's the difference between Repechage qualification and playoff winner, does anyone know? Last world cup Uruguay was the repechage winning team. Who was the playoff winner? Is it Oceania 3 Vs Europe 2 or something?

• Advertisement

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    What's the difference between Repechage qualification and playoff winner, does anyone know? Last world cup Uruguay was the repechage winning team. Who was the playoff winner? Is it Oceania 3 Vs Europe 2 or something?

695px-Rugby_World_Cup_2019_Qualification_illustrated.png

Advertisement