Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night London - Manuwa vs Anderson - Sat March 18th 5.30pm GMT

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Brilliant stuff again there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Calling out David Haye... smh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

callaway92 wrote: »
    Calling out David Haye... smh

If he meant it as a joke it's a great joke :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

McGregor has opened some can of worms with this boxing bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Some great contenders for the performance of the night award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just watching back the card now. Duffy is slick as **** with his hands, I honestly think it's between himself and Nate Diaz for the best boxing at 155 and nobody else comes close. He'd pick anyone else in the light weight division apart for fun in a straight boxing match, his stint in pro boxing is so very apparent. Fantastic hands.

Really impressed with is improvement in take down defence and sweeping when he got taken down, Madadi is no joke when it comes to ground game and Duffy has come on leaps and bounds from the peanut fight in terms of defending takedowns and regaining control when it ends up on the mat.

Whoever is running the lower weights now that Silva is gone would be an idiot to not make Duffy a bumper offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just watching back the card now. Duffy is slick as **** with his hands, I honestly think it's between himself and Nate Diaz for the best boxing at 155 and nobody else comes close. He'd pick anyone else in the light weight division apart for fun in a straight boxing match, his stint in pro boxing is so very apparent. Fantastic hands.

Really impressed with is improvement in take down defence and sweeping when he got taken down, Madadi is no joke when it comes to ground game and Duffy has come on leaps and bounds from the peanut fight in terms of defending takedowns and regaining control when it ends up on the mat.

Whoever is running the lower weights now that Silva is gone would be an idiot to not make Duffy a bumper offer.

Hasn't it always been Sean Shelby looking after the lower weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

scudzilla wrote: »

Yeah that's what I always thought too but apparently Silva made this match.

Thinking back on it when Duffy fought Poirier it was the most watched fight on fight pass ever (well that's what Dana said at the time anyway).

It's bizarre that he hasn't resigned already. There's so many great fights Taft could be made for him. Hope it gets sorted.

Gunnar was very impressive, probably one of my favourite things to see in MMA is someone using strikes to wreck the opponent then a quick choke. He showed superiority in every part of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

scudzilla wrote: »

The new arrangement is reported as follows:

Mick Maynard: Flyweight, Middleweight, LHW, HW
    Sean Shelby: Womens Divisions, Mens Featherweight, Lightweight, Welterweight

Code for Sean saying "I can't be arsed dealing with that mess at Flyweight, you go find DJ a fight". :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Still can't get over that finish by Gunni, absolutely beautiful!

Also, Artem is a gas man!

https://twitter.com/RusHammerMMA/status/843435627651743744

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Still can't get over that finish by Gunni, absolutely beautiful!

Also, Artem is a gas man!

https://twitter.com/RusHammerMMA/status/843435627651743744

Me either man, absolutely chuffed for gunnar.

Hope he climbs the ranks but i really think he's too small for some of the guys in the top five.

He needs to start checking leg kicks as well. It'll surely impact his explosiveness and takedown ability in fights.

Artem is racist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gunni has such good striking for a guy with such high class BJJ.
    He started out with striking, was karate champion before moving to BJJ.

Gunni is closing in on the WW submission record.

Magney or Condit next would be good.

Cant see Condit coming back, Magney would be another handy strangulation win for him, love to see him fight Cowboy in the summer or Wonderboy, maybe even RDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Very impressed with duffy, nelson and manuwa last night. All 3 came out of last night looking like world beaters

Gamebred wrote: »
    Cant see Condit coming back, Magney would be another handy strangulation win for him, love to see him fight Cowboy in the summer or Wonderboy, maybe even RDA.
    He'd probably strangle Magney. But at the same time Magney has also got this inate ability to survive and grind out a win. Hendricks, Lombard, Gastulem.

I think stylistically Magney is a tougher fighter than the other you named. Then again, the others are bigger names.
    ricero wrote: »
    Very impressed with duffy, nelson and manuwa last night. All 3 came out of last night looking like world beaters

Duffy looked good throughout the whole fight. But two things stood out for me.
    He needs to be putting the likes of Reza away if he wants to be LW top 10.
    His wrestling is still his biggest flaw. It's not an obvious game plan for any opponent, and at this point I'd back a top 10 LW to pull it off

RDA would be a good fight for Gunnar I think, a lot to gain for both. It would be a big name for Gunnar while RDA would be coming straight into a fight against a ranked opponent.

And on Duffy, although his wrestling looked better than the Poirer fight, it still wasn't brilliant. Reza is a good wrestler but wouldn't be at the level as Khabib, Ferguson, Alvarez or other top guys.

I think he looked reluctant to commit to a finish too, which although is probably the smart move doesn't help his leverage with the UFC. The top 5 would all have gone for the kill last night. If he wants to be at that level, and I think he's good enough, he should be looking for the finish as soon as possible.

On the plus side, his boxing is extremely good, as good as any in the division. His TDD is improving and that sweep for top position was top class. A nice aggressive elbow to open up Madadis forehead was good to see too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Django99 wrote: »

I think he looked reluctant to commit to a finish too, which although is probably the smart move doesn't help his leverage with the UFC. The top 5 would all have gone for the kill last night. If he wants to be at that level, and I think he's good enough, he should be looking for the finish as soon as possible.

An ask considering Reza has never finished, Michael Johnson should have beaten him these few seconds is all you need...

Seeming to bank on a finish cost Johnson that fight he lost by Submission.

Johnson blew Poirier away not to mention victories over Ferguson and Barboza etc.

Tony is a nut so couldn't rule anything out where he's concerned, Khabib had 3 decisions in a row before facing an amateur before Johnson,Barboza has 1 finish in his last 7,Eddie Alvarez has 1 finish total in the UFC...So would the top 5 have gone for the kill??...I think you make false claims!

Great composure from Duffy to not get sucked into over committing and leaving any opening. Active and impressive Decision win not every match up can end up on a highlight reel.

An ask considering Reza has never finished, Michael Johnson should have beaten him these few seconds is all you need...

Seeming to bank on a finish cost Johnson that fight he lost by Submission.

Johnson blew Poirier away not to mention victories over Ferguson and Barboza etc.

Tony is a nut so couldn't rule anything out where he's concerned, Khabib had 3 decisions in a row before facing an amateur before Johnson,Barboza has 1 finish in his last 7,Eddie Alvarez has 1 finish total in the UFC...So would the top 5 have gone for the kill??...I think you make false claims!

Great composure from Duffy to not get sucked into over committing and leaving any opening. Active and impressive Decision win not every match up can end up on a highlight reel.

I agree with all of that, just think that in the situation he's in I think a finish would have made Joe a hell of a lot happier and more confident.

On another note from watching on TV he seemed to get one of the biggest cheers of the night. There was also a lot of Ole Ole from the crowd. I know London is like a home fight for him but surely the UFC can see he has plenty of fans. His association with McGregor will keep him relevant for a long time. Pay him and get him entertaining fights, that's all they need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Halek

Whats next for gunni? How about this summer we find out who the real karate kid is in the @ufc ? #GunnivWonderboy
    I would watch that one for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Django99 wrote: »
    And on Duffy, although his wrestling looked better than the Poirer fight, it still wasn't brilliant. Reza is a good wrestler but wouldn't be at the level as Khabib, Ferguson, Alvarez or other top guys.

On the plus side, his boxing is extremely good, as good as any in the division. His TDD is improving and that sweep for top position was top class. A nice aggressive elbow to open up Madadis forehead was good to see too.

I think his plan was to dominate & show his skill level over the 3 rounds, rather than finish early. you wouldnt leave a job interview in the first 5 minutes, 15mins gives you a chance to show your worth

you wouldnt leave a job interview in the first 5 minutes, 15mins gives you a chance to show your worth
    A bit of a ridiculous example.

If there was an answer you would give in the first 5 mins of an interview that would guarantee the job, would you keep it to yourself to show your worth over 15 mins. I doubt it, but that's a closer parallel to what you are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I notice Duffy's fight was popping up on FB and Twitter quite a bit through the official UFC account. Would be a strange one to promote a fighter they don't want to keep (or can't meet their demands).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just because the UFC haven't made him an offer yet doesn't mean they won't.

When he gets offers for the next few weeks they have the right to match them, odds are that Belator, WSOF, One and so on will make him an offer and the UFC will come back and offer him something comparable with the bait of earning more as he racks up wins.

He's 100% in the right to see what he's worth though.

When he gets offers for the next few weeks they have the right to match them, odds are that Belator, WSOF, One and so on will make him an offer and the UFC will come back and offer him something comparable with the bait of earning more as he racks up wins.

This is what will happen imo.

Duffy is 100% correct to test the market. And (unpopular opinion) the UFC are also right to let him do it before offering. Fighters testing the free market can benefit them also.

Advertisement