Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever bought blogger merchandise?

Options
  • 15-03-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

I've ran this topic past Biko and he's happy to let us discuss it as long as it stays on topic.
    A lot of bloggers have brought out their own products recently, Pippa has a palette collaboration with Blank Canvas, and has recently brought out her own line of denim.
    So Sue has her clothing company, Aimee Connolly has her Sculpted palette, Rosie Connolly has her sunglasses range, MUF has her make up brushes.

I was given Pocos as a gift at Christmas but returned them as they were too big, liked them though so may be tempted to purchase another pair.
    Have you ever bought any of these products? What did you think of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Purchased the Pippa Palette, loved the highlighter but hated the rest. Eye-shadows/bronzer were cheap and not really great at all.
    I think a lot of these products are a case of 'white labeling', basically slapping their name on the front and sales rocket as a result. But quality doesn't seem to match the price - that's my opinion anyway. 
    A lot of people are sheep and will buy anything that these "bloggers" push - i was defo a big Pippa fan when I had to have that palette as soon as it was available. Thankfully have seen through the majority of bloggers now so not as quick to "need/want" any of their products and line their pockets anymore! Was interested when the jeans came out but a friend got them and wasn't impressed so that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Real Techniques and Makeup Geek are great brands started by bloggers that I have a few products from.
    Would recommend definitely recommend these brands.

There are a few big brand collaborationa that look great, I almost bought Becca with Jackyln Hill Champagne Pop, but decided on a paler shade in the end. I've also bought fleur for Eyelure lashes but I don't use lashes so they just gather dust :(

Haven't bought any Irish blogger merchandise, a lot of it looks white label and I'm not a fan of that!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I got the Fairy Wands by Joanne Larby from a friend for Christmas and use some of the brushes every day.

I bought the Fortune Favours the Brave palette that British Beauty Blogger did with Makeup Revolution and love it.

Haven't tried anything else by the Irish bloggers as I live in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I got the pippa palette as a present for Christmas. Like dolly16 really like the highlighter. blusher is crap maybe ok for really pale people. The eyeshadows are ok but not the ones I would immediately go to!

Will be interested to see what the lipsticks the makeup fairy brings out are like. If price point isn't to high I will probably try one! I'm into my lipsticks!

I swatched the highlighters from so su one day in a chemist! Prob would get one if they were singles but wouldn't have any use for all 6! Doubt that will happen tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Would Rosie's sunglasses be white label as well? As in she just picked them from a catalogue, ordered in bulk and sold them under her brand label Aluxe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

What did you like about the Poco's Anna080? Are they similiar to any other brand? I'd love to try them but I'm currently not living in Ireland and don't wanna order online without some sorta feedback. 
    I'd be interested in MUF 's new lipstick range but as far as eyeshadow pallettes go, I've got hooded eyes so I don't own any :ermm:

shoegal1 wrote: »
    What did you like about the Poco's Anna080? Are they similiar to any other brand? I'd love to try them but I'm currently not living in Ireland and don't wanna order online without some sorta feedback. 
    I'd be interested in MUF 's new lipstick range but as far as eyeshadow pallettes go, I've got hooded eyes so I don't own any :ermm:

I liked the material. They're denim, but not ridged denim, like they're comfy but still have structure to them. I thought they looked well on me but def needed to size down as they were too big around the crotch. Got a refund no problem and intended to buy another pair but have yet to. Might hold out for the new ones she's bringing out. They're mad dear tho- €90+ and I remember reading here that a poster said they're no different to the jeans you'd get in Next.
    TBH I dono would I feel a bit of a plonker walking around with POCO written on my arse. None of my friends are particularly interested in bloggers they'd prob tell me I'm daft lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

anna080 wrote: »
    Would Rosie's sunglasses be white label as well? As in she just picked them from a catalogue, ordered in bulk and sold them under her brand label Aluxe?

I have a pair of the same frames that Rosie is selling that i bought on Ebay for 5 quid, so I do reckon there is at least SOME private labelling going on. Her sunnies are lovely, but knowing I can buy the same pair online for a 5er makes me not want to buy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I haven't bought any of their merchandise but I've seen a lot of the stiff, especially the make up ranges and related products in stores. The majority of the items don't look even half the price that they are. Some even look very low end, ie, cheaper looking than the brand Essene (I'm not slating the Essence brand by the way). I wonder are some of the brands not doing well. I see a price reduction on Sues clothing range bit also her nail seem to be reduced to half price in Penney.

TBH I don't get the obsession people have with buying from bloggers/influences ranges... Sues lash case for example is the exact same as the case by House of Lashes... As a consumer I don't want to be buying things I can likely get cheaper elsewhere, just because someone has stuck their name on it. I wouldnt be buying something just because they've private labelled something and popped their name on. Not saying they all do that, but I'd imagine it'd be VERY hard/expensive/time consuming to go down the 100% route of conceiving the entire product, manufacturing it, etc with no previous experience in this area. I'm extremely suspicious of the products being sold, so I avoid them so far.

• Advertisement

Ray37 wrote: »
    TBH I don't get the obsession people have with buying from bloggers/influences ranges... Sues lash case for example is the exact same as the case by House of Lashes... As a consumer I don't want to be buying things I can likely get cheaper elsewhere, just because someone has stuck their name on it. I wouldnt be buying something just because they've private labelled something and popped their name on. Not saying they all do that, but I'd imagine it'd be VERY hard/expensive/time consuming to go down the 100% route of conceiving the entire product, manufacturing it, etc with no previous experience in this area. I'm extremely suspicious of the products being sold, so I avoid them so far.
    I just wanted to clarify that I don't think everyone is being purposely shady, of course I understand the whole point of selling something is to make a profit, and grow your business. Just wouldn't be super comfortable buying things that I have seen online that are identical to existing items for sale.

Ray37 wrote: »

Ya I'd be fairly confident that they're all just white label produce. Like you never see them hopping on a plane to manufacture them or see the inside production process etc.. it's just like guess what I'm launching bla bla, out of the complete blue. I dont follow Sue at all and haven't for years so I could be wrong about her production process I don't know. So when they say they're going meeting with their "team" about more stock, like who are this team? The magazine people? Where they show you a magazine and you go "I want that one, that one and that one please". Excuse my ignorance but I really have no idea how this is processed

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I'm pretty sure Sues clothing line did really bad and she isnt continuing with it. Hence the sales and promo codes. She said it wasnt going forward in an interview about 2 weeks ago? Used one of her nail varnishes once. Didn't rate it.

Bought the pippa pallet, only liked the highlighter part. Bought the slimmers and off duties pocos. Slimmers are just like river island mollys and were bad quality with frays etc. Like the off duties!

Those waxperts pads and oils do nothing for me!

I used to buy so much of their stuff but finally saw the light so don't buy anything anymore!! my bank balance is way more healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Galwaygirl55

I was given the So Sue Highlighter pallet as a present & I love it. At 36 I am well outside her target audience but I was very suprised with how nice it is. Zero interest in things like the Pippa pallet as the colours are all pretty standard neutrals that most of us makeup addicts would have 10 times over in other pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

As far as I am aware, you can get the glasses Rosie's selling on Aliexpress too. Don't get me wrong, they are nice sunglasses but it's definitely white lable.

I was gifted So Sue Me's cream contour palette before and I found it to to really greasy and cakey. I found it hard to blend and I found that the colours were far too orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SassyP

I have the Pippa pallet and I like the blush and highlighter but don't think much of the eyeshadows.

I got the So Sue make-up bag for my teenage niece and she was delighted! I read her interview in the Sunday Indo that she's not continuing the clothing range as it didn't do as well as expected.

I use the waxpert pads on and off (on spots) and I can't understand the fuss. Give me sudocrem any day 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I've bought Sue's lashes and have to say I was very impressed. They're much cheaper than the Eyelure range and don't come with the rubbish eyelash glue that usually gets thrown out. I've got 4 nights out from the same pair and they've held their shape really well. Very impressed!

I've bought Sue's lashes and have to say I was very impressed. They're much cheaper than the Eyelure range and don't come with the rubbish eyelash glue that usually gets thrown out. I've got 4 nights out from the same pair and they've held their shape really well. Very impressed!

Do they come with any glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Galwaygirl55

ratmouse wrote: »
    Do they come with any glue?

No Ratmouse, they dont. My sister bought them last week & called into me en route to a wedding to use my glue as she had run out. Must ask her what she thought of them.

Eyelashes that don't come with eyelash glue... that seems a bit, pointless? I know you can always buy other glue but you shouldn't have to, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Eyelashes that don't come with eyelash glue... that seems a bit, pointless? I know you can always buy other glue but you shouldn't have to, imo.

Have you ever used the glue that comes with eyelashes? Not worth it.

She said she's working on an individual glue but didn't want to include a crap one just for the sake of it when duoglue is already available and so affordable.

I was shocked by how good her lashes are. I've used the same pair 5 times in a row. Can't complain for 6 quid.

ameliams wrote: »

She said she's working on an individual glue but didn't want to include a crap one just for the sake of it when duoglue is already available and so affordable.

I was shocked by how good her lashes are. I've used the same pair 5 times in a row. Can't complain for 6 quid.

Well sure that's why she's selling them.for cheaper than eyelure so, its because she doesn't provide glue. Bit of a cop out in my opinion to say there's already good glue out there. So basically if you buy her lashes you still have to pay more to go and get the glue. Sounds very like the time where apparently her nail polish would be a one stop product with only one polish needed to achieve the gel look. When people began to complain about the quality of the polish, all of a sudden you needed to buy the base and top coat products too. So the polish went from an approx €7 product to am approx €21 products if 3 polishes.

Nope. TBH false lashes aren't my thing, I've never worn them. But the defense "I didn't include that cos you can already buy that" seems a bit silly to me. Sure you can already buy lashes too so why bother at all

Well sure that's why she's selling them.for cheaper than eyelure so, its because she doesn't provide glue. Bit of a cop out in my opinion to say there's already good glue out there. So basically if you buy her lashes you still have to pay more to go and get the glue. Sounds very like the time where apparently her nail polish would be a one stop product with only one polish needed to achieve the gel look. When people began to complain about the quality of the polish, all of a sudden you needed to buy the base and top coat products too. So the polish went from an approx €7 product to am approx €21 products if 3 polishes.

But the glue that comes with eyelure lashes is useless anyway. A tiny tube of duoglue lasts months so its not like you buy it for every time you wear lashes. If she included a glue shed be criticized over it being useless because they all are and it would drive the price up. An individual decent glue is far more useful.
    Any glue I've ever gotten with lashes has gone straight in the bin.

Never had a problem with her polishes used an ordinary base and top coat like I would with any polish.

Nope. TBH false lashes aren't my thing, I've never worn them. But the defense "I didn't include that cos you can already buy that" seems a bit silly to me. Sure you can already buy lashes too so why bother at all

Yeah you see lash glue that comes with lashes doesn't work it doesn't stick so if she included a glue that wouldn't work anyway it would drive the price up and it would still go in the bin.

But the glue that comes with eyelure lashes is useless anyway. A tiny tube of duoglue lasts months so its not like you buy it for every time you wear lashes. If she included a glue shed be criticized over it being useless because they all are and it would drive the price up. An individual decent glue is far more useful.
    Any glue I've ever gotten with lashes has gone straight in the bin.

Never had a problem with her polishes used an ordinary base and top coat like I would with any polish.

She wouldn't be criticized if she provided a decent glue. If it was a good glue, there wouldn't be criticism.

She wouldn't be criticized if she provided a decent glue. If it was a good glue, there wouldn't be criticism.

There isn't a lash brand that has a decent glue provided in the box. That's why individual glues exist.

There isn't a lash brand that has a decent glue provided in the box. That's why individual glues exist.

But that doesnt mean that she wouldn't be able to provide a decent glue. It's like you're suggesting that she would only churn out a poor quality product.

But that doesnt mean that she wouldn't be able to provide a decent glue. It's like you're suggesting that she would only churn out a poor quality product.

All I saw on her Snapchat was that she hasn't provided a glue because the only option were the really poor quality ones which would still change the price so she is working on developing an individual separate glue that she felt was of decent quality. But that it hadn't happened yet as the price would be too high and she wasn't going to put a lash glue on the market for 10-15 euro when the likes of duoglue is already available in Penney's for a fiver. And as she said that what she uses herself.

Personally I'm happy out to buy lashes that don't have a crappy glue it that goes in the bin. Less waste.

• Advertisement

All I saw on her Snapchat was that she hasn't provided a glue because the only option were the really poor quality ones which would still change the price so she is working on developing an individual separate glue that she felt was of decent quality. But that it hadn't happened yet as the price would be too high and she wasn't going to put a lash glue on the market for 10-15 euro when the likes of duoglue is already available in Penney's for a fiver. And as she said that what she uses herself.

Personally I'm happy out to buy lashes that don't have a crappy glue it that goes in the bin. Less waste.

I hear that. I don't necessarily buy it though. Didn't stop her putting nail polishes and contour packs on the market when its clear that they are no different from similar brands three times less expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement