Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get on with your neighbours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

AMKC wrote: »
    Not at all I am harmless just a bit weird or strange to some people but I don,t care am fed up lying and trying to hide my true self.

motivator-sample.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Grand. Polish family on one side that we get on very well with (borrow stuff from each other, give each other leftover food after a party, and so on). Chinese family on the other side that we have no real interaction with (they use a different stairs) but no problem with either. The fella under us is a nice guy also who never complains about the noise I'm sure our kids make.

So, grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

amtc wrote: »
    Some neighbours are very odd to to be fair the op sounds to have own issues.

I live in a terrace and get on perfectly well with one side...we had Christmas drinks etc. Girl other side odd. Moved in same day 12 years ago and have never seen her. Until today.

Funny story...I didn't want to pass pickets in Tesco and Supervalu had no cucumbers apart from v expensive organic ones. My dad picked up one in dinner and tried to post it through my letterbox but it got stuck. And I never saw it and he didn't let me know.It did look rather obscene as was quite phallic sticking out of letterbox. Neighbour called to ask what story was and was it symbol. Anyway we laughed about it.

I still don't get why the op couldn't leave!

Strange that you didn't hear something while this was going on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Strange that you didn't hear something while this was going on? :confused:

No. I did not hear a sound and nor did the dog when my kind and now respectful of privacy neighbours crept in and moved the sack of coal from by the car to the fuel bay bu the door...The letterbox will not and could not have rattled ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    No. I did not hear a sound and nor did the dog when my kind and now respectful of privacy neighbours crept in and moved the sack of coal from by the car to the fuel bay bu the door...The letterbox will not and could not have rattled ;)

:confused::confused: And a cucumber being shoved through your letterbox as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

What's that got to do with the post that she quoted?

I'm very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Methinks Graces7 thought the quoted post referred to her. But no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

:confused::confused: And a cucumber being shoved through your letterbox as well?

Is that a wonderful new euphism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Is that a wonderful new euphism?

Jesus you'll put me right of me breakfast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

My neighbours are grand I say hello to them if I see them that's about it.

• Advertisement

Jesus you'll put me right of me breakfast :(

My work here is done

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Good username for pointing out the cucumber euphemism

Good username for pointing out the cucumber euphemism

Wish i could spell euphimism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

There are 3 or 4 neighbours who are lovely. Don't really know them beyond saying hello or maybe the odd conversation a couple of times a year. Then there are others who refuse to even acknowledge a small nod or wave as you pass them. These just put their heads down and look the other way if you nod. It's bizarre! I don't want a friendship with any of them but I can't see why they have such a problem.

We did a big renovation when we moved in so we think they might still be bitter over being disturbed but the ones friendliest are the ones who would have been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Wish i could spell euphimism

I can't - the phone can

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I live in a Graveyard (really) and there's about 400 'neighbours.'
    Not a peep out of any of them.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Methinks Graces7 thought the quoted post referred to her. But no.

No.... the poster said they were surprised the man did not hear the father putting the cucumber in the letterbox so I was merely explianing that it is not as suprising as they seemed to think That when you get something that size stuck ther eis no noise

My farmer neighbour has left his 4 by 4 running on at the doorr here for 20 mins so farr.. THAT is a noise and a half..
    scuse typose..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

What's that got to do with the post that she quoted?

I'm very confused.

Cucumber gate :D

What puzzled me about the original post with the cucumber was when the poster said - her father picked it up in his dinner- how many whole cucumbers were on his plate in the first place :confused::D

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Cucumber gate :D

What puzzled me about the original post with the cucumber was when the poster said - her father picked it up in his dinner- how many whole cucumbers were on his plate in the first place :confused::D

Chocolate cake anyone? Switch on your matter transporters and prepare for the arrival... Some things can only be sorted by chocolate cake.. You can keep your cukes. Horrible things ;)

Cake not cuke!

Off to Heartbeat here... see thee later all !

Chocolate cake anyone? Switch on your matter transporters and prepare for the arrival... Some things can only be sorted by chocolate cake.. You can keep your cukes. Horrible things ;)

Cake not cuke!

Bad as I was before... I'm now totally confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Cake not cuke!

Is Heartbeat being re-run or is there a new one?

Cucumber cake, I think. It's meant to be nice! Or else it's courgette cake I'm thinking of.

Is Heartbeat being re-run or is there a new one?

Cucumber cake, I think. It's meant to be nice! Or else it's courgette cake I'm thinking of.

I tried chocolate covered cucumber but it was vile.

Has to be reruns on Heartbeat but I thought she had no TV so still confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I tried chocolate covered cucumber but it was vile.

Has to be reruns on Heartbeat but I thought she had no TV so still confused.

As far as I know , from Graces7's posts anyway , she watches episodes of different programmes on you-tube . Am open to correction on that though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Live in an apartment block. Don't know any of them beyond maybe a hello on the rare occasions we pass in the hallway.

Don't know anyone locally either. I'm one of those people who spends 2 hours each day commuting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Jeez, you're not alone!
    1. Anyways...did someone eventually take the cucumber out of the door, or is it still there, quivering in the wind?
    2. If so, was it eventually eaten?

3. Exactly how many cucumbers did Daddy have?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Our neighbours are fine, nice couple to the left and another couple to the right and a few across the road wave a hello as we come and go. Direct neighbours have dropped in with Christmas gifts etc and we have returned the favour which is nice but they're not pushy 'let's be best pals' type which is good. I couldn't handle overbearing neighbours!

One lady across the road called in to introduce herself a day after I brought my baby home. I had just sat down to eat dinner (my only meal that day) my husband holding the baby so I could eat opened the door. He explained I was just sitting down to dinner and she insisted he went and got me. Conversation was going ok considering she interrupted my meal until she asked who my consultant was for the birth... why is that a conversational topic for some women?? Is it a badge of honour or something?? Anyway she did me a favour with that question, I won't be calling over to hers for tea. It just screamed of snobbery to me,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I live in a genuinely working class area of Dublin and my neighbours are fecking great! Look after the moggy, keep an eye on the place when we're away, come over for a BBQ in the summer and have a few cans. If the kids ever give any trouble, which they never do, they're dealt with by their parents.

B00! wrote: »
    My apartment has thin walls and loud neighbours with little consideration (at all hours) for slamming doors, noisy conversations, dogs barking and blaring Tvs.

I understand the OP's frustration about being made late - I have a neighbour who, when she see's you coming, will block your exit with her (sizeable) zimmer frame to rope you into a never ending conversation. Being mannerly only encourages your captivity (and makes you later for appointments). Now I figure, she knows exactly what she is doing... and it's just plain rude.

Another neighbour thinks I am her personal valet, and I am "blessed for it" she insists... :rolleyes:

:( Running away sounds nice.

Poor old girl is lonely is all. Thought zimmers only came in one size ;) Care re assigning malignant motives though.

By all means come here for a day! No neighbours as such except the sheep and the cattle and the occasional farmer tending them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Poor old girl is lonely is all. Thought zimmers only came in one size ;) Care re assigning malignant motives though.

By all means come here for a day! No neighbours as such except the sheep and the cattle and the occasional farmer tending them....

If so, the poor old girl gets "lonelier" the more attention people give her (and she demands plenty of that). She has a big wheeled one, with baskets and doo-dads attached. I am not assigning any motives she hasn't displayed... repeatedly.

Sounds like heaven Miss Grace, never been much for the city life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I don't really know any of them and I've lived at the same address for 13 years. Next door are friendly enough, two doors down are knobs, across the road are oddballs. I'm busy and usually out and never bothered making an effort.

Advertisement