Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get on with your neighbours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Maybe I'm different but who my neighbours are is a massive consideration for me when I was buying/moving house. I refused to even consider 2 houses after spotting the celtic jersey wearing layabouts that lived next door at one of them even though the house was perfect and disregarded another as the house adjoining was a rental house which (according to other neighbours) had numerous different tenants every year. Now I realise if you are in Dublin then you may not have that luxury but for me, its one of the first things I consider. Thankfully we were able tomove out of the town to a greenfield site and a new house with no neighbours within 300m and unlikely to be any time soon either....perfect.

Ya we did consider the neighbours. Had a brief chat with the old guy. Seems pleasant enough. Keeps his garden nice and seems to have been friends with the old owners.

Been around lots but the other people never seem to be home so haven't got a chance to meet them. But house is clean from the outside and garden well maintained.

I use the garden as a good benchmark. Renters and terrible neighbors tend not to care about their living conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Any update OP? What shoes did you wear? Did you get the bus? And the movie? What happened with the movie Godamnit?

Great, all help each other out, look after houses when the others are away, borrow power tools and the like, I let my neighbour drain his garden through my property, he pretty much had the access road rebuilt by friends of his when storms swept away the culvert etc. etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I live in a ground floor apartment with its own front door in a 3 storey apt complex built in the 1970s. My next door neighbour is a sweet woman - a retired teacher in her late 60s and the guy who lives on the top floor above me is also retired and just turned 70. I'm pretty close to both and they are sound. They think, at 42, that I'm only a "spring chicken" which makes me feel great.:D

We call into each other's places for tea/coffee and a catch up. I'm very fortunate to have such pleasant neighbours.

When I was growing up in Castleknock nearly everyone on our estate knew each other- the kids were around the same age as were the parents. That changed in the 90s as a lot of the original occupants moved away. Now there is much less neighbourliness and people keep to themselves. Sort of sad really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

If you are not involved with the GAA club you don't see your neighbours from one end of the decade to the other especially when there is no shop in the townland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are not involved with the GAA club you don't see your neighbours from one end of the decade to the other especially when there is no shop in the townland

Oh come off it! I'm in a very rural area - no shop, PO, etc. and we have never been involved in the GAA but we have great neighbours ,(always have had) , with plenty of contact and all getting on with each other.

This image of rural Ireland revolving around, or dependant on, the GAA is old hat stereotyping .

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

My theory is that the grass in the air from mowing the lawn would have gotten on her clothes/hair, and she didn't want to risk that. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jester77 wrote: »
    Mine are great, we regularly hang out, do beers and BBQ's. Play football every week with all the dads from the area.

In the Summer we have a big get together, clear the street, move the cars, put down benches, get our BBQs together, hire some beer equipment and have a big party. Brings everyone together. We also do something similar in Winter but not as big.

Do all your family/relatives live on the same street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I get on fine with most of my neighbours. Some I know better than others, one couple are very private and just say hello etc. Mind you they always check to see if my house is ok if I am away etc. Other neighbours I would be friends with and had been friends with before I moved in. I have the key for five houses.

The only one I don't like with is a lady across the way. I will say hello when I pass but that is it.

She try to tell everyone what time they should open your curtains, what bin company we should use and has been caught unlocking gates and leaving people's dog on the road and then complaining to the Gardai about loose dogs. Thankfully, she was caught doing this and stopped but sadly not till a lovely dog got knocked down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Oh come off it! I'm in a very rural area - no shop, PO, etc. and we have never been involved in the GAA but we have great neighbours ,(always have had) , with plenty of contact and all getting on with each other.

This image of rural Ireland revolving around, or dependant on, the GAA is old hat stereotyping .

Everywhere is different, that has been my experience, people live very private lives here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Do all your family/relatives live on the same street ?

Nearest family is 5 hours away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I get on well with my neighbours until recently. One neighbour has a seriously nasty little dog. I used to get on well with the neighbour but I got peed off when his dog bit my dog whilst mine was on a lead. I asked him nicely to put a pallet across his open gateway to stop the little **** from rushing out. Surprisingly the neighbour ignored me & drove off.

Next time, as I am walking by, he roars "keep walking, don't stop" - I am on a public road. A few days later his new puppy appears right by the main road. I call him back & when the owner drives past, I stop him & say that the dog was almost on the busy road.

He got out of the car & threatened me, adding "it might not be the dogs after you". The annoying thing is that people warned me about him years ago & I chose to judge as I find. I have even helped him start his car, look for lost ponies & even defrosting his water pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If you'd managed to get out the door without the neighbour's dad seeing your wedges, what would you have done once you got on the bus? Wouldn't the people on the bus have seen them? The shame!

I want the people on the bus to see them. I don,t have a problem with that. No shame I am quite happy once I am there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

brevity wrote: »
    You had to hide your figure preventing you from seeing Hidden Figures.

I got to see it a little late but I got there. Had the whole cinema for myself so its lucky I went otherwise no one would have been there to watch the screening.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jester77 wrote: »
    Nearest family is 5 hours away

Any houses for sale were you live? :D

Ms

Your neighbour is probably terrified of you.

Mine are all fine. Don't socialize with them but they're friendly enough and would help out. Our kids all pal around together. One of my next door neighbours is a bit of a nut but harmlessly so.

Your neighbour is probably terrified of you.

Not at all I am harmless just a bit weird or strange to some people but I don,t care am fed up lying and trying to hide my true self.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I'm curious. How long or short is a "normal" person's lawn grass? Have you measured this neighbour's lawn? Seriously, though, this is a totally random and arbitrary grievance to hold against a person.

I mean, I live in a block of flats. I have neighbours who fight to the death out in the corridor on a regular basis (and seemingly for almost any reason). That does my head in. The fighting begins, then they're kicking each others doors in and the shouting, swearing and slamming doors goes on into the wee small hours. So yeah, that puts my head away. Apart from those two or three problem tenants, everyone keeps themselves to themselves.
    Winterlong wrote: »
    Any update OP? What shoes did you wear? Did you get the bus? And the movie? What happened with the movie Godamnit?

Just my boring trainers. I got the next bus an hour later.Was a little late for the movie (: It is an excellent movie you should go see it.

I'm curious. How long or short is a "normal" person's lawn grass? Have you measured this neighbour's lawn? Seriously, though, this is a totally random and arbitrary grievance to hold against a person.

Not sure just know his is always shorter than everyone elses. No lol I have not.

I told hold it against him its just there is 7 days in the week and he choose to do it today at the time I was going out at. Its done now anyway and I decided I will not let it stop me again if it even happens in fact I think next time I will wear a nice pair of heels :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

AMKC wrote: »
    Just my boring trainers. I got the next bus an hour later.Was a little late for the movie (: It is an excellent movie you should go see it.

Not sure just know his is always shorter than everyone elses. No lol I have not.

I told hold it against him its just there is 7 days in the week and he choose to do it today at the time I was going out at. Its done now anyway and I decided I will not let it stop me again if it even happens in fact I think next time I will wear a nice pair of heels :)

I'm having difficulty imaging your thought process. He cut the grass as you were going out? How was he to know and what difference did it make anyway? You couldn't wear particular shoes because he might see them but you don't mind anybody else seeing them? And, horror of horrors, he keeps the grass shorter than other houses? There is something seriously amiss here and I honestly don't think it's on the part of your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The less my neighbours speak to me, the better. A quick wave now and again is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Well one of my neighbours reversed into our entrance wall today and knocked it, so beat that.
    It was done by the time we came home this evening. Can't pinpoint who it was but I'll be examining rearbumpers for the next few days. Fcukers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are you a man dressing as a woman?? He prob thought today would be fine to do it as most people would be in work/kids in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All this talk of wedges:

sweet-potato-wedges-766x329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I don't know any of my neighbours at all. It used to bother me a bit but now I don't give a **** tbh.

Have a vague plan in my mind to move somewhere else this year anyway.

Ms

Are you a man dressing as a woman?? He prob thought today would be fine to do it as most people would be in work/kids in school.

I would not call myself a man but not a women either as I said I am not your average person and no I was doing it today because its the best day for deals where I like to go and I have it off.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

My neighbour wakes me up on weekend mornings while she's having a shower by screaming "Oh Daddy Daddy" through the party wall as some sort of bizarre morning ritual.

I don't tend to hear her on weekdays as I'm gone to work by the time she has her shower.

Oh.. and I forgot to mention, she's 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I would not call myself a man but not a women either as I said I am not your average person and no I was doing it today because its the best day for deals where I like to go and I have it off.

Ok, prob used the wrong language. I meant that your neighbours father was doing the lawn today as he thought that people would be in work/school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Some neighbours are very odd to to be fair the op sounds to have own issues.

I live in a terrace and get on perfectly well with one side...we had Christmas drinks etc. Girl other side odd. Moved in same day 12 years ago and have never seen her. Until today.

Funny story...I didn't want to pass pickets in Tesco and Supervalu had no cucumbers apart from v expensive organic ones. My dad picked up one in dinner and tried to post it through my letterbox but it got stuck. And I never saw it and he didn't let me know. It did look rather obscene as was quite phallic sticking out of letterbox. Neighbour called to ask what story was and was it symbol. Anyway we laughed about it.

I still don't get why the op couldn't leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I gave up neighbours decades ago, or tried to... In rural Ireland the ones who are there can be ..odd. And I mean deep isolated farming rural
    Nothing and no houses for miles and the few families have been there centuries.

Here I was not supposed to have any neighours, In fact canvassed that with the agent who assured me the nearest was half a kilometre away.. In fact there are three near houses. one a B and B and a big working farm barn. ( I was too ill and the move was too urgent to view)

The couple who have sheep up here...the lady spent half an hour trying to push past me to get into the house when I arrived.... but she realised then that I seek privacy .

And the man who owns the barn runs off in the opposite direction on the rare occasions we coincide.. saw him y;day heading off down the track on his 4X4, the rig laden with sheep food and he standing up in it like a viking warrior and at such speed I was very glad I have not come in any later :eek: Just a dirt track up here..

This house was long long empty and they were starting to use the land for extra grazing.. Another one down the lane had started storing stuff on the land here and has had to retrieve it via owner and agent.

That is fine. Gates are locked and privacy attained and I get on well with the sheep lady now.

A lot of it is simply getting used to the folk around you. A period of adjustment all round. Most of my days here are very peaceful now. Love folk when I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

i live in a small estate in a village and for the most part we all get on . The two families nearest me are great , their kids wander in an out to mrs wex for a biscuit or a sweet , the rest of the neighbours , bar one, are grand , a friendly wave or a few civil words always there for you if your stuck .
    Serious problem with one women . All the kids play outside my house as im on the green and turning circle so plenty of space. the kids used to just to go around the side if their ball went over the wall , and eventually a few of them used to bring my dog [fawn couloured 13 yr old labradore , basset cross ] out to play and then put the hound back in his run. One evening the SPCA arrived to take away the dog to have him put down as it killed her cat and she complained . Dog was about 4 feet long about 2 feet in the round and couldn't run cos he'd step on his own ears . I discovered about two days later it was a labradore belonging to someone else that killed her cat as the guy next door saw it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I was doing it today because its the best day for deals where I like to go and I have it off.

Sounds interesting!!

Advertisement