Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in four people in Ireland experience sexual abuse.

Options
  • 12-03-2017 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

from oneinfour.ie

"One in four people in Ireland experience sexual abuse. It might be you, someone, you care about or someone you're friendly with."

Does anyone else find this statistic shocking and outraging, and that it is still going on day in day out in so called modern Ireland, behind closed doors by parents, uncles, brothers, neighbours, state/hse care etc. If this statistic is accurate, then there seems to be a huge current day wall of silence in Ireland and in the Irish media about the massive levels of current day ongoing sexual abuse. How does this statistic compare with other countries or is Ireland particularly perverted by comparison ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

It's actually moe like 2 in 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

dar100 wrote: »
    It's actually moe like 2 in 4

Is that not 1 in 2

Also feels like one of those fishing threads where a new account puts one of these questions out there so we can all be quoted in the Daily Star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Also feels like one of those fishing threads where a new account puts one of these questions out there so we can all be quoted in the Daily Star

A better question would be why some people feel threatened by an open discussion, and want this swept under the carpet ?

......... wrote: »
    A better question would be why some people feel threatened by an open discussion, and want this swept under the carpet ?

Well how about giving your opinion on the matter rather than posting a bunch of vaguely leading questions and get the ball rolling? Go on, the floor is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

from oneinfour.ie

"One in four people in Ireland experience sexual abuse. It might be you, someone, you care about or someone you're friendly with."

I'd love to know what they define sexual abuse as. I'm guessing they have a very broad definition.

• Advertisement

Well how about giving your opinion on the matter rather than posting a bunch of vaguely leading questions and get the ball rolling? Go on, the floor is yours.

Read the OP I already did, so rather than trying to bury it and silence it, what is your opinion about the rate of sexual abuse in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Does anyone else find this statistic shocking
    It's 2017. Nothing is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The usual click-baity type stats. They work out how many people have admitted that they were abused, then they multiply it by the highest possible factor of people who may not be telling the truth or are hiding what happened.

Read the OP I already did, so rather than trying to bury it and silence it, what is your opinion about the rate of sexual abuse in Ireland ?

Bury it and silence it? Lol.

Us responding to you is keeping your thread at the top of the most popular forum in Ireland so get out of here with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

what is your opinion about the rate of sexual abuse in Ireland ?
    I think it should be lower...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

from oneinfour.ie

Does anyone else find this statistic shocking and outraging, and that it is still going on day in day out in so called modern Ireland, behind closed doors by parents, uncles, brothers, neighbours, state/hse care etc. If this statistic is accurate, then there seems to be a huge current day wall of silence in Ireland and in the Irish media about the massive levels of current day ongoing sexual abuse. How does this statistic compare with other countries or is Ireland particularly perverted by comparison ?

I went into 1in4 website, It says the same there, but no links or where there getting that information from ? Seems very high...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's 2017. Nothing is shocking.

2017? Sure Perry Farrell's been saying that for 29 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

#myquangoneedsfunding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They have been using that statistic since 2002. And they say it is still exactly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

from oneinfour.ie

The statistic/slogan is designed to be shocking. It's entirely and utterly without foundation though. How does it compare to other countries? Well you have self-interested lobby groups peddling the same slogan/stastic for their own political purposes / social ideology too.

I wouldn't panic about it and it wouldn't cause me to become paranoid either. Here in Ireland at least everyone in society is entitled to their good name and the presumption of innocence.

It'd be fun to see who was behind this website and what their ulterior motives are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The statistic/slogan is designed to be shocking. It's entirely and utterly without foundation though. How does it compare to other countries? Well you have self-interested lobby groups peddling the same slogan/stastic for their own political purposes / social ideology too.

I wouldn't panic about it and it wouldn't cause me to become paranoid either. Here in Ireland at least everyone in society is entitled to their good name and the presumption of innocence.

Interestingly , oneinfour in the UK and the USA both claim the figure is....

Surprise surprise...

One in Four.

Too coincidental for my tastes.

I went into 1in4 website, It says the same there, but no links or where there getting that information from ? Seems very high...

I'm wondering how accurate it is, it's shocking if its the current rate, we're often led to believe it's some sort of historical problem in Ireland rather than current day.

Dublin rape crisis centre reports 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men report has having been sexually abused as children here.

drcc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RCC_CSA_2012.pdf

The CARI foundation, cari.ie are reporting one in 5 children in Ireland are affected by sexual abuse.

If any of these statistics are even roughly accurate it's appealing that there is a wall of silence in the Irish media that this level of abuse is STILL going on in this country, day in day out.

It'd be fun to see who was behind this website and what their ulterior motives are.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/one-in-four-head-colm-ogorman-earns-80k-a-year-26236325.html

That was in 2003, Colm O' Gormless is head of Amnesty Ireland now and campaigns for issues like abortion and prostitution to be decriminalised in Ireland

A bit of an about-turn really, a full 180 in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If i remember rightly the high figure quoted works of historic abuse that occured pre 1980's, so the percentage should be dropping considerably. Pointing this out would lead to less funding so they play it like the 1-4 figure is what's happening today
    Was a thread on this exact topic before

• Advertisement

If i remember rightly the high figure quoted works of historic abuse that occured pre 1980's, so the percentage should be dropping considerably. Pointing this out would lead to less funding so they play it like the 1-4 figure is what's happening today
    Was a thread on this exact topic before

I find it hard to believe Dublin Rape Crisis centre and CARI who also quote similar figures are also making them up or are also deliberately trying to mislead people.

I find it hard to believe Dublin Rape Crisis centre and CARI who also quote similar figures are making them up.

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

If you took a survey of the number of women who have been groped or had their bottoms pinched then that might be close to one in four. I know that some of you won't agree that this kind of behaviour constitutes sexual contact. I think it is because it's an unasked for and uninvited invasion of a persons body in a very intimate and sexual manner. If someone walks up to you and puts their hands on you without your permission in law they have committed assault and battery.

That said, it's assault at the very lowest level and I don't think it's fair to call it sexual violence.

I don't.

Really you're claiming Dublin Rape Crisis Centre make up their figures and why ? What are you basing this allegation on exactly ?

Really you're claiming Dublin Rape Crisis Centre make up their figures and why ? What are you basing this allegation on exactly ?

Big numbers means big funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Its too low.

I havent been sexually abused in weeks.

Big numbers means big funding.

Let me get this right, the claim is Dublin Rape Crisis Centre and other such organisations are producing false figures in order to defraud the state of funding ? What evidence is there of this ?
    Its too low.

I haven't been sexually abused in weeks.

Pretty sad you think sexual abuse is funny, it might not be so funny when it happens one of your family or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

In Ireland research has shown that one in four children (27%) will experience sexual abuse before the age of 18. Despite well publicized scandals and reports, many Irish people remain unable to respond to this problem and the long term damage it creates individually and at societal level. Our determined aim is to change this.

Statistics source material: SAVI Report, The Ferns Report , The Ryan Report, The Murphy Report

That's were they get it from, its on there webpage.

Let me get this right, the claim is Dublin Rape Crisis Centre and other such organisations are producing false figures in order to defraud the state of funding ? What evidence is there of this ?

1 in 4

• Advertisement

Glad you think sexual abuse is funny, it might not be so funny when it happens one of your family or friends.

You threatening my family and friends with sexual abuse OP?

You looking to make it 1 in 3 are ye?

Lets see how brave you are at dawn, bring your pistol and a bodybag that will fit you.

Bon chance

Advertisement