Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine popularity on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A real man drinks his beer, smokes his cig and goes to work in the morning to support his wife and children.

That's a man's function in life.

Were you born in the 50s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Cocaine is great for energy but it's overpriced and no manufacturing standards due to its illegality.

High horse people saying there's too much bloodshed around it are talking out their ass. There's bloodshed around diamonds, I guarantee there's diamond earrings or engagement rings in their lives. I also guarantee they woukdnt turn down a trip to America. Bloodshed and torture around the world. Nonsense.

Except blood diamonds are plainly illegal and the diamond industry is legal and regulated. Yes you can get some on the black market along with rhino horns but that's not where the vast majority of people shop for wedding rings

I abhor violence in America as much as violence in Dublin and everywhere else in this country

Make no mistake about it, the Kinahan feud is caused by? Yup, drugs

As are a hell of a lot of murders in the US

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A real man drinks his beer, smokes his cig and goes to work in the morning to support his wife and children.

Yes, a real man pisses his money away on beer and destroys his body with cigarettes :D that's a real man right thur.

Seriously though, I know lots of very hard working people, some who own their own businesses who do coke the odd weekend.

Not condoning it, just making the point that drug use does not equate to being a waster.

Every situation is different. Alcohol is just as harmful when it's abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It does make people talk dribble and think they are saying something very important

That might just be the beer TBH.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Sure thing, the bloodshed that comes with it, especially in the source countries. An example of this being over 100,000 people have been murdered in Mexico by cartels since 2007. The most high profile gang in Ireland source their coke from Mexico. Users here are creating the market for this indirectly whether they want to believe it or choose not to. They are playing a part.

The images from Mexico are harrowing. Kids getting murdered, busloads of students killed for protesting against cartels, whole families wiped out because one member had a drug debt etc.

I was going to say it's not drug that have done this but the war on drugs, however in fairness any lucrative commodity will always have violence around it unfortunately, one only needs to look at precious metals diamonds etc.

While I agree with your sentiment that one should 'boycott' it because of the issues you've raised. The prohibitionists have to realise they've blood on their hands with this. Prohibition never works and is merely a vehicle to generate rhetoric and votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Things are booming again that's why that stuff is back with a bang

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You'd be very surprised at some of those who do use it. It seems to be huge in certain professional circles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

You'd be very surprised at some of those who do use it. It seems to be huge in certain professional circles

Everything is based on instant gratification now and coke up there with casual sex, drink etc,people feel they deserve a good time all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

On the rise? When was it in decline??

There's a lot of media propaganda swallowed up by sheep people who've never experienced recreational drug use .......... the majority of people who used Ecstasy in their late teens, Coke in their early 20's etc. have had zero negative consequences but the media/Government want you to believe that they all ended up as strung-out Heroin addicts while you sip away on your delicious, highly taxed, pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Make no mistake about it, the Kinahan feud is caused by? Yup, drugs

The irony is that if the drugs were legal the gangs would be out of business. The drugs are not the problem but their legal status.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

fepper wrote: »
    Everything is based on instant gratification now and coke up there with casual sex, drink etc,people feel they deserve a good time all the time

Why not?

All of those things are freakin' awesome. If you can do all those things, not hurt anyone (bar yourself) and hold down a job more power to you.

• Advertisement

Why not?

All of those things are freakin' awesome. If you can do all those things, not hurt anyone (bar yourself) and hold down a job more power to you.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No you're still a loser if you do drugs. I knew many in my time in UL. They were losers then and losers now. Weak people doing Arts Degrees. I broke out of their word when I got sense. I wanted to be succesful in life not a dreamer or loser.

A junkie is nothing, a person who has failed at life.

Jesus, the bang of up your own rear end off this! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"...but...but...alcohol is worse" - cokeheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Grayditch wrote: »

It is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sure thing, the bloodshed that comes with it, especially in the source countries. An example of this being over 100,000 people have been murdered in Mexico by cartels since 2007. The most high profile gang in Ireland source their coke from Mexico. Users here are creating the market for this indirectly whether they want to believe it or choose not to. They are playing a part.

The images from Mexico are harrowing. Kids getting murdered, busloads of students killed for protesting against cartels, whole families wiped out because one member had a drug debt etc.

Many Academics and Economists will tell you the war on drugs is only benefitting the cartels. If you think about the name we have given to drug gangs ie a cartel as they have limited supply to increase price

People want to use drugs and will always to use drugs. We just need to accept that and legalise them. Look at as you say 100k have been murdered by cartels who bring cannabis from Mexico to the US too. Legalising cannabis is starting to hit the cartels hard. By legalising drugs, we can kill of drug gangs. Instead we are trying to guilt users of drugs, rather than accepting their lifestyle choice. Why should someone feel guilty about smoking a joint rather than messing up their brain and lived with alcohol?

David Nutt was paid by the UK Government to look into drugs and the effects of them. He was quietly silenced and fired when his report found most drugs were pretty harmless. He looked at the effects of drugs on the individual and society. MDMA aka pills or ecstasy was found to be less dangerous than horse riding. He found cannabis was pretty safe

On the other hand he found alcohol was the worst drug in the UK. In his opinion it was worse than cocaine. His systematic analysis of all the possible harm done by drugs found alcohol was the most dangerous drug but because it is acceptable in society one seems to care

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's been back on the rise for about 18 months now.
    Recession, the whole Katy French thing and other alternatives killed it off a little for a while.

Now people have a bit of cash again, are going out more again and choosing to take coke and generally being assholes .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Why should someone feel guilty about smoking a joint rather than messing up their brain and lived with alcohol?

Hardly a like-for-like comparison there now, is it? Why should one person feel guilty about having a pint rather than messing up their brain and lives with drugs?

(It's the same question btw, from the other perspective)

David Nutt was paid by the UK Government to look into drugs and the effects of them. He was quietly silenced and fired when his report found most drugs were pretty harmless.

So he should have been :pac:

(or seeing as you view alcohol as a drug, by your own admission people mess up their brains and lives with it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I've been out of Ireland 3 years, and it's always been prevalent any time I've been back
    I left at the end of the legal high buzz, mephradrone, BZP and all their derivatives, there were loads of people who wouldn't do coke, but readily do legal highs... when the stockpiles of the newly illegal "legal highs" ran out, people naturally turned to whatever they can get their hands on....
    only back a few weeks ago, and nearly everyone in the pub of a certain age range was sniffing...
    whats more hilarious is the price, 60 - 80 a gram... I can guarantee what they say is coke, is not coke, and people are buying it by the truckload on a night out :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Indeed.. I know this is AH which has a mostly younger crowd anyway, but every time these threads come up (several times a month), we have the same whataboutery peddled by users to justify their own habit, coupled with the notion that if it was just legalised then everything would be grand!! All those bad pushers and drug gangs will just go away! :rolleyes:

Do drugs, don't do drugs... but stop with the nonsensical attempts to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Indeed.. I know this is AH which has a mostly younger crowd anyway, but every time these threads come up (several times a month), we have the same whataboutery peddled by users to justify their own habit, coupled with the notion that if it was just legalised then everything would be grand!! All those bad pushers and drug gangs will just go away! :rolleyes:

Do drugs, don't do drugs... but stop with the nonsensical attempts to justify it.

This post sums it up entirely.

Don't pretend that you sniffing crap up your nose makes you some social warrior about the ills of making drugs illegal. You are murdering families in south America and other regions. Take that to bed with you and enjoy it .

Any of my mates who dream of doing coke on a night out will be dropped in a shot.

I don't have time for that ****e or the ****e that comes out of your clueless mouth when you are on it.

King of the world Wannabees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Seems to be a great drug for boring bastards with no personality or anything interesting to say.

No that's alcohol. cocaine's a helluva drug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

listermint wrote: »
    This post sums it up entirely.

Don't pretend that you sniffing crap up your nose makes you some social warrior about the ills of making drugs illegal. You are murdering families in south America and other regions. Take that to bed with you and enjoy it .

Any of my mates who dream of doing coke on a night out will be dropped in a shot.

I don't have time for that ****e or the ****e that comes out of your clueless mouth when you are on it.

King of the world Wannabees.

Absolute moronic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

What I don't get is the attitude that getting high in itself is somehow morally wrong and the fact that the gratification from taking it is 'instant' makes it more wrong. Would it be better somehow if after taking a drug you'd get high from it a week later?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Herp_a_Derp

ChikiChiki was asked.
    Can i ask you why you think [cocaine] is disgraceful and disgusting?

None of those things are inherent to cocaine.

Those things are the results of cocaine prohibition, not of cocaine itself.

If cocaine was legalised then those things would stop.

Do you agree that cocaine should be legalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

I have no idea why someone would snort cocaine.
    Say what you want about booze or the fags but at least they are produced in factories with some sort of care

I would think 85% plus of what is being passed off in Co Mayo as cocaine is produced in factories.

Its probably the most pointless popular recreational drug taken for "doing coke" thrills more so than it's effects and usually taken brazenly after alcohol is consumed which has its own nasty metabolism effects. And aside from constantly wanting more and more, makes a users heart race and males will notice their penis worryingly shrivel.

learn_more wrote: »
    What I don't get is the attitude that getting high in itself is somehow morally wrong and the fact that the gratification from taking it is 'instant' makes it more wrong. Would it be better somehow if after taking a drug you'd get high from it a week later?

No one is saying its wrong but so easily available now and people are taking advantage of that fact,right or wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

learn_more wrote: »

Personally speaking I don't care what someone takes so long as no-one else is affected by it. What annoys me though are these self-serving attempts to justify or normalise it by users - the aforementioned whataboutery I referred to.

My own view though is that someone who regularly takes drugs (alcohol or whatever!) is someone who is having problems dealing with the reality and pressures of their life and seeking escape (even temporarily) in the drug.

That to me is a problem and something far better dealt with by talking to someone or doing something about the situation than seeking refuge in a bottle or chemicals containing who-knows-what instead.

I don't buy the "harmless", "just adds to the fun" argument either.. if you can't go and enjoy yourself without getting pissed on alcohol or "buzzed"/off your face on harder stuff then again, I'd think you'd be better off looking into why that is.

But that's me.. I drank loads in my 20s as well of course and would still have the occasional pint - and I mean very occasionally as circumstances usually mean I'd be driving so couldn't anyway. But I don't miss it at all to be honest as it was always more about the social aspect than the actual drinking for me... and sure I get worried and depressed sometimes like everyone else, but I've never felt the need to find some local dealer to help get me through it.

Each to their own though, but let's stop pretending that it's all harmless and misunderstood shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can i ask you why you think it is disgraceful and disgusting?
    Because it's instant arsehole in powdered form?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Herp_a_Derp

I think the violence is caused by prohibition and not by cocaine itself.

I think many illegal drugs should be legalised but I'm not sure about coke.

It's too dangerous medically to be legalised. It causes real problems. Heroin doesn't cause the same level of medical problems at all for example.

Heroin could be safely taken every day without long term harm but cocaine couldn't.

Originally it was only poisons that were banned. Poisons that serve no purpose except to kill people.
    Then, after that, some drugs were banned.

I think cocaine is at the boundary where some drugs should be legal but others should remain illegal as they are too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ChikiChiki was asked.
    Can i ask you why you think [cocaine] is disgraceful and disgusting?

None of those things are inherent to cocaine.

Those things are the results of cocaine prohibition, not of cocaine itself.

If cocaine was legalised then those things would stop.

Do you agree that cocaine should be legalised?

Yes it should be legalised. As long as cocaine is illegal people will die. The war on drugs is not working. The market for cocaine across the globe is growing.

Cleaner cocaine in a regulated industry will do serious damage to the drugs gangs. Don't think the average joe would do harder drugs than that.

Time to change approach.

Advertisement