Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine popularity on the rise

Options
  • 11-03-2017 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed as of late that cocaine use is on the rise big time in my area and i live in co.mayo so i imagine its even more prevelant in more urban areas. People i thought would never touch it and who looked down on others for doing it love it now themselves. It seems to be socially acceptable now in most social circles its lost its stigma of oh my god look at that loser doing cocaine theyve gone to the dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Seems to be a great drug for boring bastards with no personality or anything interesting to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Grayditch wrote: »
    Seems to be a great drug for boring bastards with no personality or anything interesting to say.

It does make people talk dribble and think they are saying something very important

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No you're still a loser if you do drugs. I knew many in my time in UL. They were losers then and losers now. Weak people doing Arts Degrees. I broke out of their word when I got sense. I wanted to be succesful in life not a dreamer or loser.

A real man drinks his beer, smokes his cig and goes to work in the morning to support his wife and children.

That's a man's function in life.

A junkie is nothing, a person who has failed at life.

No you're still a loser if you do drugs. I knew many in my time in UL. They were losers then and losers now. Weak people doing Arts Degrees. I broke out of their word when I got sense. I wanted to be succesful in life not a dreamer or loser.

A real man drinks his beer, smokes his cig and goes to work in the morning to support his wife and children.

Surely it depends on the level of addiction.

I know a few who will smoke the odd joint, take an E, even do the odd line of coke and they seem happy and successful.

Last week I met a man who has just lost his wife, house and child, because of alcohol. He was also on his way to getting a handy criminal record, because of his tendency to threaten the ex when drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not excusing it at all but there are many successful people who use cocaine, sometimes in the workplace even.

The acceptance of it is disgraceful, the stuff disgusts me.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not excusing it at all but there are many successful people who use cocaine, sometimes in the workplace even.

The acceptance of it is disgraceful, the stuff disgusts me.

Can i ask you why you think it is disgraceful and disgusting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Can i ask you why you think it is disgraceful and disgusting?

Sure thing, the bloodshed that comes with it, especially in the source countries. An example of this being over 100,000 people have been murdered in Mexico by cartels since 2007. The most high profile gang in Ireland source their coke from Mexico. Users here are creating the market for this indirectly whether they want to believe it or choose not to. They are playing a part.

The images from Mexico are harrowing. Kids getting murdered, busloads of students killed for protesting against cartels, whole families wiped out because one member had a drug debt etc.

Yes there are outliers and exceptions to every rule.

The majority of druggies I associated with were losers and still are. We used have to a private members club in UL called "Natural Born Losers." Might identify myself to people with that. :pac:

I did my undergrad, got off the sh1t, kept my smokes and drink and achieved in life. I didn't want to waste away my 20s like the rest of that crowd did.

I wanted to go out there and make money.

The majority of druggies I associated with were losers and still are. We used have to a private members club in UL called "Natural Born Losers."...

Are you saying people in UL did drugs?

The rumour in UCC 20 years back was that you had to bring in a note from your parents if you missed a lecture in UL...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes there are outliers and exceptions to every rule.

The majority of druggies I associated with were losers and still are. We used have to a private members club in UL called "Natural Born Losers." Might identify myself to people with that. :pac:

I did my undergrad, got off the sh1t, kept my smokes and drink and achieved in life. I didn't want to waste away my 20s like the rest of that crowd did.

I wanted to go out there and make money.

Well, I know plenty of people who dabble in drugs are are very successful. Anyhow, How do you define success? If your definition of success for a man is having a wife and children to support then you have a very narrow view of success indeed.

I'm gay, I don't have a wife and children. Does that make me a failure?:confused::rolleyes:

And you do know that alcohol destroys more lives and families than all illegal drugs put together, right?

I occasionally dabble in drugs, but not cocaine. It's a waste of money. And alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all IMO.

Sure thing, the bloodshed that comes with it, especially in the source countries. An example of this being over 100,000 people have been murdered in Mexico by cartels since 2007. The most high profile gang in Ireland source their coke from Mexico. Users here are creating the market for this indirectly whether they want to believe it or choose not to. They are playing a part.

The images from Mexico are harrowing. Kids getting murdered, busloads of students killed for protesting against cartels, whole families wiped out because one member had a drug debt etc.

This then leads to the fact that its because its illegal that the bloodshed is happening. Giving the power to cartels and criminals.

It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight.

Being successful in life means having a life.

Not living with family and being strung out on heroin like a college mate of mine. Living in a dreamland.

A guy who will turn 29 this year and has wasted his best years on drugs.

This is not about being fond of a drink or being a smoker.

I never dropped those habits and I succeded in life. The key is never to get hooked on hardcore sh1t. Never become an addict.

I don't care who you are, it will destroy your life.

Interesting that I see this thread, I was only thinking the same thing recently. There seems to be a much more nonchalant attitude to its use now than 10 years ago at the tail end of the Celtic tiger. I used to associate a high level of taboo with it, like if I heard of some of my peers taking it when I was in my late teens I had these feelings of "wooah, that's so taboo, like look how advanced and grown up they are now.. do they not know how taboo I find it?" or something. I also had disturbing connotations of associating it with the new, over indulged, hedonistic, dickhead Ireland, the change that occurred in the Irish people during the 2000s that was the reason we went from the Europeans voting for us in Eurovision every year in the 90s to coming near bottom every year.. we just became detestable, arrogant, thinking we were big shots. Now I am just blunted to hearing about people using it - although I suppose some of the above connotations still linger a little.
    I never have and never would take cocaine - in addition to the negative connotations I have in my head about the kind of people I imagine use it and the criminal activity and ruined lives associated with its supply chain, I also think it's very foolish to take something so potentially addictive.

A guy who will turn 29 this year and has wasted his best years on drugs...

Woah woah.

A guy who is 28 may not even reached his best years, let alone wasted them or be "a failure at life".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Surely it depends on the level of addiction.

I know a few who will smoke the odd joint, take an E, even do the odd line of coke and they seem happy and successful.

Last week I met a man who has just lost his wife, house and child, because of alcohol. He was also on his way to getting a handy criminal record, because of his tendency to threaten the ex when drunk.

By the very nature of addiction? Means that you will start needing more and more, then more. As the body gets used to it.

So your argument is that because alcohol is bad cocaine is ok? :confused:

"seem"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have no idea why someone would snort cocaine.
    Say what you want about booze or the fags but at least they are produced in factories with some sort of care (even if in truth, it's not that much)

With coke it's produced in some farm in the middle of no-where in south america using gasoline to break down the leaves. Not to mention the local drug dealer cutting it with crap before you snort it up your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Nothing wrong with doing a bit a few times a year .
    Doing it every weekend is a different story all together.
    People take drugs for different reasons. Some do it for the high and others do it for an escape from reality.
    The people who are trying to escape from reality are usually the ones with the problem of regular use.
    Don't be so quick to judge.

Graces7 wrote: »
    So your argument is that because alcohol is bad cocaine is ok? :confused:

"seem"?

No, my point is that the junkie is as representative, or unrepresentative, of drug culture as the alcoholic is of drink culture. Both are at the extreme end. And neither is a failure at life, I don't even rate life by success or money. For me it's more about personal happiness, I know people who are happy and take drugs, who are happy and drink, who make lots of money and who make little.

Woah woah.

A guy who is 28 may not even reached his best years, let alone wasted them or be "a failure at life".

What do you propose for a heroin user with a History, Politics, Sociology and Social Science from the UL Arts Department.

What's he going do?

I'm not saying his life is over but he is at a big disadvantage for his wasted years. A bullsh1t Arts Degree and no work experience to speak of.

Years doing H living off the state.

Unemployable unless he does a complete 180 in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is not about being fond of a drink or being a smoker.

I never dropped those habits and I succeded in life. The key is never to get hooked on hardcore sh1t. Never become an addict.

I don't care who you are, it will destroy your life.

Serious bang of hypocrisy off this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Cocaine is yesterdays news. Spice is where it is at for the real down and outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Dising one drug and promoting other more destructive drugs instead, Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Not to mention people being murdered and strung up on motorway bridges for all to see

Just even watch Narcos and some of the crazy **** that happened

Every single person with that dirt up their nose is in some way responsible for what goes on

Same with ticket touts, rich Nigerian princes etc.... they only exist because there's a market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I have no idea why someone would snort cocaine.

Snort some good coke and you'll have an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Cocaine is great for energy but it's overpriced and no manufacturing standards due to its illegality.

High horse people saying there's too much bloodshed around it are talking out their ass. There's bloodshed around diamonds, I guarantee there's diamond earrings or engagement rings in their lives. I also guarantee they woukdnt turn down a trip to America. Bloodshed and torture around the world. Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It does seem to be accepted more. I've no time for it but don't feel comfortable speaking about it when before I did.

Anyone doing it with health issues is a ****ing clown though I will say that. One bloke I know who does it was recently diagnosed with a heart issue.

I looked at him in bemusement without saying anything when he suggested it was a family issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Grayditch wrote: »

I hear this a lot but in my experience boring bastards hammered drunk talk just as much if not more rubbish than boring lads doing coke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

What do you propose for a heroin user with a History, Politics, Sociology and Social Science from the UL Arts Department.

What's he going do?

I'm not saying his life is over but he is at a big disadvantage for his wasted years. A bullsh1t Arts Degree and no work experience to speak of.

Years doing H living off the state.

Unemployable unless he does a complete 180 in his life.

You can get plenty work from Social Science. You've the guy dead and buried already. Fair play to him for having a degree anyway. The begrudgery is strong in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Winterlong wrote: »
    Cocaine is yesterdays news. Spice is where it is at for the real down and outs.
    You mean spice boxes right,
    The country gone made on em i tell ya

Advertisement