Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of a stamp to hit 100 cents

Options
12346»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 35 ROVER_1912

we have to start writing letters again,

i have one on my desk i wrote last july, gonna post it tomorrow

get your fountain pens out and save the postal service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

fiachr_a wrote: »
    It's a 38% increase. Joe Duffy would have a week of shows if landlords were doing this.

Its its a big percentage increase , but its still very very cheap for the service they provide, and its was insanely cheap before now and undercharging which is why such a large percentage increase is needed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Its its a big percentage increase , but its still very very cheap for the service they provide, and its was insanely cheap before now and undercharging which is why such a large percentage increase is needed now.

Nothing to do with the head of the post office being on 500,000 a year now, and many of his managers being over paid too?
    To put wages ( probably An Posts biggest overhead ) in context, the population of Spain is 47 million people and its Prime Minister earns €78,185 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

maryishere wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the head of an Post has awarded himself a salary increase bringing his salary to a whopping €500,000 a year, despite An Post losing millions every quarter.

The population of Spain is 47 million people and its Prime Minister earns €78,185 per year.
    In this country, middle managers in our post office earn more than that, and the head of An Post earns €500,000 per year. No wonder the country is ******
    Actually "AN POST raised the salary of its chief executive Donal Connell to €500,000 last year, despite recording a loss as customers sent fewer letters and parcels.
    Mr Connell's salary and benefits were increased from €493,000 the previous year, the post office said in its annual report."

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-raises-salary-of-its-chief-executive-to-500000-despite-recording-256m-loss-26653843.html

I wonder if pension contributions and bonus would bring his total package to to €700,000 per year?
    Nothing to do with the head of the post office being on 500,000 a year now, and many of his managers being over paid too?
    To put wages ( probably An Posts biggest overhead ) in context, the population of Spain is 47 million people and its Prime Minister earns €78,185 per year.

If you are going to keep harping on and using the same source as evidence and proof perhaps you should look at the date it was published and consider the fact that things might have changed in seven years?

From Anpost's Annual Report
    http://www.anpostmedia.com/Media/AN_POST_2015_Annual_Report_English.pdf

The remuneration package of Mr Donal Connell, Chief Executive Officer, which is included in the amounts shown above as directors’ emoluments, was as follows:

|2015 €'000s|2014 €000's
    Basic Salary|240|240
    Other emoluments:| |
    Director’s fee|-|-
    Pension contributions paid|46|45
    |286|285

Far the the €700,000 you are claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you are going to keep harping on and using the same source as evidence and proof perhaps you should look at the date it was published and consider the fact that things might have changed in seven years?

From Anpost's Annual Report
    http://www.anpostmedia.com/Media/AN_POST_2015_Annual_Report_English.pdf

The remuneration package of Mr Donal Connell, Chief Executive Officer, which is included in the amounts shown above as directors’ emoluments, was as follows:

|2015 €'000s|2014 €000's
    Basic Salary|240|240
    Other emoluments:| |
    Director’s fee|-|-
    Pension contributions paid|46|45
    |286|285

Far the the €700,000 you are claiming.

If you bothered to read the thread carefully you would see that I have clearly pointed out the obscene salary that the present CEO is receiving - €286,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A euro to have something delivered anywhere in the state the next day doesnt seem like very much.

How much would it cost with DHL or DPD?

The next day? Three or four days seems to be average for me?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I would like to use my local post office more

eg lodging money to a current account or other banking services
    I cannot do this

every post office should be a local tourist and information office and provide a booking service for B&Bs, hotels, gof courses, museum visits eg bushmills/guinness/kilbeggan, local guided tours, local outdoor pursuits eg kayaking, horse riding, cinemas, trains, buses, airport transfers etc
    charge a small fee for this service

They do this in New Zealand (in the tourist offices) and it is a hugely successful model. The tourist offices across the country are actually self financing

I think you can lodge and withdraw from an AIB Bank current a/c at An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Actually "AN POST raised the salary of its chief executive Donal Connell to €500,000 last year, despite recording a loss as customers sent fewer letters and parcels.
    Mr Connell's salary and benefits were increased from €493,000 the previous year, the post office said in its annual report."

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-raises-salary-of-its-chief-executive-to-500000-despite-recording-256m-loss-26653843.html

I wonder if pension contributions and bonus would bring his total package to to €700,000 per year?

That is actually just sick. I'm clearly in the wrong profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was 1.10 to send a small postcard to Germany and 2.15 for large envelope before these 40% jacked up prices come in

For a semi state body that has a monopoly in the Irish market for sending post they should be held accountable for their unjustified massive price hikes

:confused:

MASSIVE?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I would like to use my local post office more

eg lodging money to a current account or other banking services
    I cannot do this

every post office should be a local tourist and information office and provide a booking service for B&Bs, hotels, gof courses, museum visits eg bushmills/guinness/kilbeggan, local guided tours, local outdoor pursuits eg kayaking, horse riding, cinemas, trains, buses, airport transfers etc
    charge a small fee for this service

They do this in New Zealand (in the tourist offices) and it is a hugely successful model. The tourist offices across the country are actually self financing

My (deep rural) Post Office is a cubby hole at the back of a thriving supermarket/petrol station.restaurant/ craft shop/ hardware and farming supply shop. One lady serves then pops through the door to the post office.

I know many such rural post offices. and they give out tourist info etc as a matter of course

Over to a busy town centre, maybe on a Friday when the queues of pensioers snake back and forth in the place....

NB I am with AIB and I can and do lodge cash and cheques at the Post Office

• Advertisement

The next day? Three or four days seems to be average for me?

hmm..I posted a letter needing a reply to my dr down country on Wednesday afternoon.... with an envelope of course for the return/reply .

The reply arrived here, up the mountain, Friday lunchtime. Less than 48 hours there and back. For the cost of two stamps.

We get excellent service, we really do.

Family in Canada do not get house deliveries. They get a post box in a row os post boxes they pay dear for and break ins are common especially on welfare cheque day

Posting stuff in Canada is horrendously expensive too .

Graces7 wrote: »
    hmm..I posted a letter needing a reply to my dr down country on Wednesday afternoon.... with an envelope of course for the return/reply .

The reply arrived here, up the mountain, Friday lunchtime. Less than 48 hours there and back. For the cost of two stamps.

We get excellent service, we really do.

Family in Canada do not get house deliveries. They get a post box in a row os post boxes they pay dear for and break ins are common especially on welfare cheque day

Posting stuff in Canada is horrendously expensive too .

I think it's excellent service too, would be lost without an post. Just wondering why a letter could take one day or a week. Seems to vary a lot compared to others experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Two days within Ireland seems to be the norm for us (rural), with many arriving next day. It's excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Its going to be a euro but I think franked or metered will only cost 90c .

Businessess are going to use email as much as possible to send documents

Advertisement