Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of a stamp to hit 100 cents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont understand the outrage.
    Its a minor increase in the cost of sending a letter, and most people will rarely be sending letters anyway and still £1 is pretty good value for having someone deliver a letter to anywhere in the country in 1-2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,454 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Tow wrote: »
    1 euro to send a letter across Dublin... It is possible to buy new rubber bands delivered from China for less than a euro.

Sounds like the number of employees in the rubber room has risen to an unsupportable level again.
    That is because the Chinese postal system is deliberately set up to subsidise Chinese manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

snowflaker wrote: »
    88c for me to send a card from Germany to Ireland

It was 1.10 to send a small postcard to Germany and 2.15 for large envelope before these 40% jacked up prices come in

For a semi state body that has a monopoly in the Irish market for sending post they should be held accountable for their unjustified massive price hikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It was 1.10 to send a small postcard to Germany and 2.15 for large envelope before these 40% jacked up prices come in

For a semi state body that has a monopoly in the Irish market for sending post they should be held accountable for their unjustified massive price hikes

do you really think thats expensive? ireland to germany,for 1.10 euro ?

collect the letter from post box,sort the letter to relevant destination,courier the letter to airport, for 1.10. seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Its a minor increase in the cost of sending a letter, and most people will rarely be sending letters anyway and still £1 is pretty good value for having someone deliver a letter to anywhere in the country in 1-2 days.
    It's a 38% increase. Joe Duffy would have a week of shows if landlords were doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm pretty sure if your pint of lager rose by 40% overnight you'd be on here giving out yards! Not too mention the electric or gas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fiachr_a wrote: »
    It's a 38% increase. Joe Duffy would have a week of shows if landlords were doing this.

if only rents were a euro a week or even a day! IF ONLY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm pretty sure if your pint of lager rose by 40% overnight you'd be on here giving out yards! Not too mention the electric or gas.....

Yet again, consider the Elasticity of Demand on stamps versus electricity usage or lager. The stamp is going up by 28cent. It would be €40+ on an electricity bill. Hardly comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

an.post will need a bail out if they are made to keep making losses. It's being forced on them .

I read somewhere that the head of an Post has awarded himself a salary increase bringing his salary to a whopping €500,000 a year, despite An Post losing millions every quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

An Post is actually quite cheap compared with European counterparts, even in markets with competition.

I know many people are concerned about rural Ireland but in fairness we can't allow rural Ireland to hold back just about everything, although I'm talking about it in this sense.

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    An Post is actually quite cheap compared with European counterparts,

Dunno about that. In Bulgaria it is only 5 cents to post a letter.
    In N. ireland / Britain, "From 29 March, the price of a First Class stamp will increase by 1p to 64p and the price of a Second Class stamp will increase by 1p to 55p."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭sjb25

#stampgate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Article here from thejournal.ie about the new An Post CEO - some of the comments would crack you up. :D

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-mcredmond-tv3-an-post-2991385-Sep2016/

I see elsewhere that the previous CEO was reduced to €286,000 back in 2014. As a matter of interest what does the CEO do? Does he deliver or sort post? Does he design stamps? What exactly does he do to justify his vast salary? And I don't want to hear that it's the going rate and that if we pay peanuts we get monkeys as we all know where that led us before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

To be fair, €1 is not a lot when you consider you can drop a letter in a postbox in your village and in a day or two someone in the most remote part of ballygobackwards will have it hand delivered to them. I should know, cos I am that person in ballygobackwards.

A tax to live in your own house, now theres something we should all be getting agitated about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

I buy 1 or 2 stamps every year, and my wife might buy a 5 or 6 at Christmas, they can have my €8 if it keeps a man in a job.

But that RTE gang should be closed down, and I'll be happy to pay €40 a year for an RTE news channel and maybe 1 radio station.

Agricola wrote: »
    To be fair, €1 is not a lot when you consider you can drop a letter in a postbox in your village and in a day or two someone in the most remote part of ballygobackwards will have it hand delivered to them. I should know, cos I am that person in ballygobackwards.

A tax to live in your own house, now theres something we should all be getting agitated about.

Agreed, €1 is not a lot for a basic letter but once you send something heavier it really ramps up. Anyway, it was the cack handed way that the increase has been handled that's the real issue - a bit like water charges. You announce post office closures and a massive rate increase in the same breath...send for Terry Prone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Oh no please. I'll pay €2 for a letter......just don't send in Terry Prone!

And here's an unbelievable story from the Irish Independent in 2010 where the previous CEO at An Post saw his salary bumped up to €500,000 - you couldn't make it up!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-raises-salary-of-its-chief-executive-to-500000-despite-recording-256m-loss-26653843.html

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And here's an unbelievable story from the Irish Independent in 2010 where the previous CEO at An Post saw his salary bumped up to €500,000 - you couldn't make it up!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-raises-salary-of-its-chief-executive-to-500000-despite-recording-256m-loss-26653843.html

To put that in context, the salary of the Prime Minister of Spain, a large industrialised country, is €78,185.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salaries_of_heads_of_state_and_government

He is presumably on call 24/7 for his 78 thousand euro a year gross salary too.
    It just shows how out of touch our semi-state and public sector salaries have become in this country.

maryishere wrote: »
    Dunno about that. In Bulgaria it is only 5 cents to post a letter.
    In N. ireland / Britain, "From 29 March, the price of a First Class stamp will increase by 1p to 64p and the price of a Second Class stamp will increase by 1p to 55p."

I wouldn't really compare Ireland and Bulgaria. In Ireland, the average monthly salary before tax is 3,000 euro while in Bulgaria its 500 euro.

I know in Germany that for me to send a postcard in a letter at one stage was two euro or thereabouts. Portugal was the same despite the difference in national wealth. Could be any reason for the disparity between the UK and Germany, couldn't tell you myself. Competition/subsidy/salary/economies of scale factors perhaps?

• Advertisement

I know in Germany that for me to send a postcard in a letter at one stage was two euro or thereabouts.

Was it an A4 size wooden postcard in the letter? lol

All joking left aside, a standard stamp in Germany is 70 cents.
    Here is the link: https://www.deutschepost.de/en/b/brief_postkarte.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Get the price up to the European average and give An Post a chance to be meeting costs.

Happily, if income tax, VRT, excise, electricity prices, etc are also pegged to European averages. To give citizens a chance at meeting costs.

If only. More seriously though, it's interesting the policies that countries like Canada are looking at. In areas like waste collection, road tolls, etc, we're moving towards a model where prices are influenced by the cost of service provision. Why not with the postal service?

Was it an A4 size wooden postcard in the letter? lol

All joking left aside, a standard stamp in Germany is 70 cents.
    Here is the link: https://www.deutschepost.de/en/b/brief_postkarte.html

Haha nope, hate to disappoint!

70c it is. That's mad. Like I mentioned in my previous post, economies of scale could allow a lower price for postage in a larger market. I just don't understand how everything in Ireland is so dreadfully mismanaged.

I just don't understand how everything in Ireland is so dreadfully mismanaged.

The population of Spain is 47 million people and its Prime Minister earns €78,185 per year.

In this country, middle managers in our post office earn more than that, and the head of An Post earns €500,000 per year. No wonder the country is ******

animaal wrote: »
    Happily, if income tax, VRT, excise, electricity prices, etc are also pegged to European averages. To give citizens a chance at meeting costs.

If only. More seriously though, it's interesting the policies that countries like Canada are looking at. In areas like waste collection, road tolls, etc, we're moving towards a model where prices are influenced by the cost of service provision. Why not with the postal service?

And we'll pull wages down to the European average as well while we're at it.

The population of Spain is 47 million people and its Prime Minister earns €78,185 per year.

In this country, middle managers in our post office earn more than that, and the head of An Post earns €500,000 per year. No wonder the country is ******

Salary size depends on the cost of living. Spain's is a lot lower than ours. But your point still stands!

An Post CEO earns 286,000, which is still a ridiculous sum. Members of our judiciary earn roughly the same in the upper courts, and their salaries are artificially inflated to ensure their independence.

No point complaining though, nothing will change here. It's Ireland for crying out loud.

An Post CEO earns 286,000, which is still a ridiculous sum.

Actually "AN POST raised the salary of its chief executive Donal Connell to €500,000 last year, despite recording a loss as customers sent fewer letters and parcels.
    Mr Connell's salary and benefits were increased from €493,000 the previous year, the post office said in its annual report."

I wonder if pension contributions and bonus would bring his total package to to €700,000 per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ROVER_1912 wrote: »
    all that comes in th epost nowadays is bills and suchlike,

i can't remember the last time i got a big fat cheque

Only ****ers that send me cheques these days are an post, despite me telling them to pay me by bank transfer.

ROVER_1912 wrote: »
    all that comes in th epost nowadays is bills and suchlike,

i can't remember the last time i got a big fat cheque

Most of my bills are electronic billing nowadays and I happened to get two very sizeable cheques , from NTMA, in the post last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I would like to use my local post office more

eg lodging money to a current account or other banking services
    I cannot do this

every post office should be a local tourist and information office and provide a booking service for B&Bs, hotels, gof courses, museum visits eg bushmills/guinness/kilbeggan, local guided tours, local outdoor pursuits eg kayaking, horse riding, cinemas, trains, buses, airport transfers etc
    charge a small fee for this service

They do this in New Zealand (in the tourist offices) and it is a hugely successful model. The tourist offices across the country are actually self financing

Advertisement