Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of a stamp to hit 100 cents

Options
  • 08-03-2017 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

10 years ago it was 41 cents, and the current price is 72c.

Makes one wonder really, first that An Post have been negligent in allowing such a company costs gap to arise that they feel the need to jack up the cost by 40% in one go and that the business of collecting, processing and delivering very light and small packages without making a loss is apparently beyond the companies ability.

There are surely more packages of all types in transit in to, out of and within Ireland than ever and yet An Post seems not to have the wit to grab enough of the market to keep the red ink at bay.

What are they doing wrong? Is it a company that is still structured for life before the internet and home shopping, didn't they ever do a business plan based on global and local trends?

Or it is hamstrung like other state companies by having to commit to universal coverage regardless of the cost? I can imagine there are quite a few rural routes where the postie has but a handful of drops a day but is paid 30k a year plus the expenses of running a vehicle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think you mean one euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolutely obscene. This will affect a lot of businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

1€ for a stamp in Ireland???

Excessive! Yer man on RTÉ talking tripe. Lets close rural Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

It has been this price in a number of other European countries for years now

Stop being so scabby, we're all European's now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's still a penny stamp to me.

€1 seems to be the European average .

• Advertisement

It has been this price in a number of other European countries for years now

Stop being so scabby, we're all European's now

88c for me to send a card from Germany to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

A euro to have something delivered anywhere in the state the next day doesnt seem like very much.

How much would it cost with DHL or DPD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Way to expensive.
    They would be better off doing the route every second day instead of everyday. I doubt the majority would notice. If laid out right I'm sure you could still do daily to the companies that need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

snowflaker wrote: »
    88c for me to send a card from Germany to Ireland

Presumably because An Post are under charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Who actually posts stuff anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

End of posting Christmas cards in our house now.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Presumably because An Post are under charging.

??? It was Deuche Post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Looks like the FG/FF/LP agenda of ruining public run companies so that the ' market ' is then taken over and dictated to by their crony's like Denis O'Brien etc continues regardless. The Irish Postmasters’ Union warned that increasing the price of stamps would reduce the volume of business and threaten the postal service. “The network is in grave danger that it will disappear,” Ned O’Hara said on RTÉ’s Today with Sean O’Rourke. “We are a key resource for urban and rural communities. We want to do more for communities.”

Doubt if they'll be listened to unless communities, particularly rural ones, make to known to gombeen FF/FG TD's, councilors they'll suffer at the voting booth for actions like this.

Looks like the FG/FF/LP agenda of ruining public run companies so that the ' market

That or you know email but it's probably the top secret plan to ruin public companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I dont see a problem with the price rise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I dont see a problem with the price rise

I agree, let's have 40% added to the price of everything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You know you can steam stamps off letters, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I wish my pay went from 41K to 100K in 10 years... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    You know you can steam stamps off letters, right?

You may have spotted that black inky thing call a frank....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah sports direct should email me those adidas I just bought and save themselves some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A euro to have something delivered anywhere in the state the next day doesnt seem like very much.

How much would it cost with DHL or DPD?

Thats a envelope for a euro isn't it , A parcel would be more from post office,as this is what DPD/DHl deal mostly with, but surely another nail in the coffin for the post office, people will just stop posting, there again cant remember last time i posted a letter, only xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Absolutely obscene. This will affect a lot of businesses.

Like who? What businesses still post letters any more???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Yeah sports direct should email me those adidas I just bought and save themselves some money.

It's amazing that those Adidas fitted into an envelope and got delivered for the price of a letter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I agree, let's have 40% added to the price of everything. :rolleyes:

That's far from what the comment implied. Ever hear of elasticity of demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Like who? What businesses still post letters any more???

In my old job I would post out about 10-20 letters a week. That was just me, the rest of the department would send a similar amount. People still need to use the post.

In my old job I would post out about 10-20 letters a week. That was just me, the rest of the department would send a similar amount. People still need to use the post.

And as such they can pay the rate required to keep a dying service alive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭Tow

1 euro to send a letter across Dublin... It is possible to buy new rubber bands delivered from China for less than a euro.

Sounds like the number of employees in the rubber room has risen to an unsupportable level again.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Obviously the internet/digital revolution has had a massive impact on An Post's business, but much of the company's problems stem from poor management decisions and waste which is par for the course with anything in the State sector. Everybody's business is nobody's business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tow wrote: »
    1 euro to send a letter across Dublin... It is possible to buy new rubber bands delivered from China for less than a euro.

Sounds like the number of employees in the rubber room has risen to an unsupportable level again.

Under some trade agreement I don't think China pay An Post anything for delivering which is why so much China post gets left sitting around waiting and waiting to get sorted.

If An Post wanted to make money they'd do a deal with Amazon and other big online companies but Amazon don't use them directly because An Post are too expensive.

Advertisement