Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peter92

Looking for grids for Contract and equity if anyone has any that would be great.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

<< Sorry, discussion of the various courses and lecturers not allowed on this forum. Mod>>

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Would anybody be ever so kind to forward me on an up to date grid for constitutional.

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Just going through the conversation here and realising a few people failed equity and contract. I sat 4 and failed equity and Contract.

The thing is when I left my equity exam I was confident I passed it... then I only got 37%... I nearly died when I saw this result. I was sure I wrote 5 Damn good questions... I couldn't believe it...

I also thought I did well in Contract and failed it also...

Now I'm heading back to resit in March with the fear of god in me as if I thought I did really well and failed, how in the name of goodness do I pass these exams!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    Just going through the conversation here and realising a few people failed equity and contract. I sat 4 and failed equity and Contract.

The thing is when I left my equity exam I was confident I passed it... then I only got 37%... I nearly died when I saw this result. I was sure I wrote 5 Damn good questions... I couldn't believe it...

I also thought I did well in Contract and failed it also...

Now I'm heading back to resit in March with the fear of god in me as if I thought I did really well and failed, how in the name of goodness do I pass these exams!!!

You still have today to get them rechecked if you feel like you have done alot better than what you were marked for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

@RebelGirl - I wouldn't really recheck it if it wasn't near 50s, that would be a waste of 115eu.
    In 2014 I failed Equity by 1 mark and paid to get it reassessed, it came back the same way and with no feedback on what to improve so

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

letmcg wrote: »
    @RebelGirl - I wouldn't really recheck it if it wasn't near 50s, that would be a waste of 115eu.
    In 2014 I failed Equity by 1 mark and paid to get it reassessed, it came back the same way and with no feedback on what to improve so

People who have been marked in the 30's have got them rechecked & they have passed. For peace of mind & if you know you should have passed then l would get them rechecked if you have the money. These exams are funny they can go either way but l would never discourage someone if they want to. Sorry you were caught out on that 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Bit of an odd question but does anyone know anywhere in Dublin City to study (library, etc) which is open late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hi all. Is anyone able to tell me which manuals are best for Constitutional and Company law?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mockman

Hey, does anyone have have grids and past papers& feedback for Tort, equity, contract, property& Criminal? I can swap for manuals and exam papers in all 8 up to 2015.

thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

Hi guuuuys
    Does anybody have grids for EU and Property?
    I have Constitutional and Equity

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

I have contract, property, criminal and tort grids for the last sittings - does anyone have an up to date Constitutional Grid, EU and Equity Grid please? PM if you do and want to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

I have grids, if those looking pm me their emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RoisinNN89

Is anyone unhappy or shocked by their contract law result? I considered it one of my better ones and stil got in the mid 30's. thanks :-)
    I came out of Contract feeling not as though I aced it but fairly confident I did enough to secure a pass - fell short by 5 points so begrudgingly sent it for a re-check.. I definitely think the Contract exam was marked harder than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Slightly off-topic; are any of you guys going to the Finding Your Training Contract seminar in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yoop wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic; are any of you guys going to the Finding Your Training Contract seminar in January?

Oh I forgot about that.. I think I will yeah!

I know there is no definitive answer but, how many cases should you aim to mention in each question for the exam? Just practising past questions and was wondering how many cases you would be expected to name for each answer

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Leraf wrote: »
    I know there is no definitive answer but, how many cases should you aim to mention in each question for the exam? Just practising past questions and was wondering how many cases you would be expected to name for each answer

I always wonder the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

I usually have a minimum of 5/6, sometimes up to 9 or 10, but it will depend on the topic as well; EU has way more than Property etc.

I'm also a ridiculously slow writer; I've never written an answer more than 3.5/4 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

I try to have anywhere from 4-6 cases per answer. 4 is a little on the low side. I also wrote 3.5 - 4 pages per question and managed to pass my first four: Tort, Constitutional, Criminal & Company. EU will probably need more cases than that. Seems to be a massive topic altogether.

Most important part though is the relevancy of the cases and how well you answer the question. Getting 5 cases down per question will help keep the post-exam nerves away but you can still fail if its all junk.

• Advertisement

Yoop wrote: »
    I usually have a minimum of 5/6, sometimes up to 9 or 10, but it will depend on the topic as well; EU has way more than Property etc.

I'm also a ridiculously slow writer; I've never written an answer more than 3.5/4 pages.

I dont know how I would ever remember all of the case names and the details for 6 cases per question. Unless the facts of the case are almost identical to the question, I feel like I should not mention it in case it is seen as waffling to fill the paper. I dont know how to shoehorn in a case that's not exactly the same as the question being asked.

Then there's the dreaded question of how to remember so many names and cases for each subject :( !! ??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

I dont know how I would ever remember all of the case names and the details for 6 cases per question. Unless the facts of the case are almost identical to the question, I feel like I should not mention it in case it is seen as waffling to fill the paper. I dont know how to shoehorn in a case that's not exactly the same as the question being asked.

Then there's the dreaded question of how to remember so many names and cases for each subject :( !! ??

I have 7/8 exams done and each sitting I was surprised by how much I remembered in relation to case names. My trick was learning the names off by heart the night before the exam, literally listing them and rewriting them from memory. The details of the cases are easy to remember. But if you can't remember the name of a case but you can remember the details definitely still mention them - I would say something a long the lines of "in a particular case of similar circumstances it has been held..." etc etc. Better than leaving it out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Leraf wrote:

I mentioned this before in this thread, but, 'How to Pass Exams' by Dominic O'Brien is an excellent pocket-sized book that will give you all the tools you need to be able to recall literally hundreds of case names with ease. It is also fantastic for being able to remember section numbers of legislation. I am not overburdened with memory skills myself but using the methods in this small book I got a first in nearly every third level law exam I took from first year on. And I passed all my FE1'S first time. That's not a brag - if I can do it using the methods in this book, anyone can! Try it

Hunchback wrote: »
    I mentioned this before in this thread, but, 'How to Pass Exams' by Dominic O'Brien is an excellent pocket-sized book that will give you all the tools you need to be able to recall literally hundreds of case names with ease. It is also fantastic for being able to remember section numbers of legislation. I am not overburdened with memory skills myself but using the methods in this small book I got a first in nearly every third level law exam I took from first year on. And I passed all my FE1'S first time. That's not a brag - if I can do it using the methods in this book, anyone can! Try it

Actually, on your previous recommendation, I ordered a copy which is being delivered today or tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Actually, on your previous recommendation, I ordered a copy which is being delivered today or tomorrow!

Cancel your order - here it is for free:

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/07/17/how-to-pass-exams-2/how-to-pass-exams.pdf

Happy Christmas and best of luck at the end of February!

Chuckler wrote: »
    Cancel your order - here it is for free:

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/07/17/how-to-pass-exams-2/how-to-pass-exams.pdf

Happy Christmas and best of luck at the end of February!

Thank you! It was already delivered and only 12euro so not the end of the world :) Happy Christmas to you too !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Does anybody have the grids for contract and property?
    I can give you the grids for equity and criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hi all. Happy new year everyone and I hope you all had a great Christmas. Starting to hit the books again for the first time today. Sitting Constitutional and Company which are my last two. Feeling a bit worried I'm leaving it late to start but I left my job at Christmas to study full time so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Does anyone have exam grids for Company and/or Constitutional? All I have is a Tort grid that was up to date for the last sitting to offer in exchange.

Thanks for any help! Happy new year and best of luck with the study!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LegalFianna

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I am wondering if perhaps any of you could give me exam grids for company, constitutional, EU and Tort? I have Contract, Criminal, Equity and Property up to 2015 that I can give in return. I am going to start back in to the books today and would be grateful if ye could help me out. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Redo91 wrote: »
    Hi all. Happy new year everyone and I hope you all had a great Christmas. Starting to hit the books again for the first time today. Sitting Constitutional and Company which are my last two. Feeling a bit worried I'm leaving it late to start but I left my job at Christmas to study full time so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Does anyone have exam grids for Company and/or Constitutional? All I have is a Tort grid that was up to date for the last sitting to offer in exchange.

Thanks for any help! Happy new year and best of luck with the study!

Hey Redo, PM your email and I'll send them onto you. Think they're up to date to the sitting before last but you can always add those in yourself :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement