Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what the ethnic Traveller Status statement actually means?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

But could not someone say the exact same thing about many people around the world, looking at the crime rates and patterns of behaviour amongst Native Americans and black people in the USA, amongst Indigenous Australians, the Maori etc. All with very different histories, all subjected to discrimination and deprivation over long periods.

I wouldnt put the Maori into this discussion, they are well looked after & get on well with other races/cultures.
    The others if people stop telling them they are victims they can get ahead in life. Its much easier to say its someone elses fault than to get up & make a go of things

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Are they a different ethnicity though Tom or are they failed uneducated, uncivilised people who choose to live in a caravan? I dont believe the system failed them either. They were more than happy to meet the system half way in that regard.

they are an ethnic minority yes.
    This is IRELAND we are talking about.

I don't think any other country's experience should bear any weight in the discussion at all. Different ways, different legalities, different laws, guns, summary execution etc. you get the picture.

What about IRELAND and the Travellers.

I have no truck with them having "Ethnic" status at all, that is ridiculous, so I really want to know what it means.

So far no one knows. Does anyone?

no actual detail has been released yet. groups from other countries who have similar experiences and similarities in history are very relevant to the thread and the discussion.
    Legality meaning observing the laws the rest of us have to every day. But you knew that already. Shoo.

they are legally in the country as they are citizens of the country. that's what he stated and he is correct.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This is IRELAND we are talking about

It is.

And when international organisations have looked at IRELAND and our treatment of travellers, the condemnation is pretty much universal. The most discriminated against people in Europe, acc to the EU. Denied basic human rights, acc to the Council of Europe etc. etc.

Legality meaning observing the laws the rest of us have to every day. But you knew that already. Shoo.

You phrased it very badly. The legality of living here is not open to question, they are legally entitled to live here. If you meant something different, being the crime rates, well then they share that with oppressed minority ethnic groups in other countries.

Those other countries seem more willing to accept their role in creating the problems, the higher crime rates, higher suicide rates, higher rates of violence, mental health issues etc. Someone above said we should leave out the Maoris, but they've had reserved positions in political representation for over 150 years. We've only recognised separate ethnic status in the last week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

You phrased it very badly. The legality of living here is not open to question, they are legally entitled to live here. If you meant something different, being the crime rates, well then they share that with oppressed minority ethnic groups in other countries.

Those other countries seem more willing to accept their role in creating the problems, the higher crime rates, higher suicide rates, higher rates of violence, mental health issues etc. Someone above said we should leave out the Maoris, but they've had reserved positions in political representation for over 150 years. We've only recognised separate ethnic status in the last week...

Because the Maori ate clearly a different ethnic group. There before the Europeans.

• Advertisement

Christ. What rubbish.

Actually, no, it's a fact. If you want to take your head out of the sand long enough, I could link the findings? Would you read them and come back with a searing critique or more of the "Jaysis, that's nonsense" insights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

If Hitler implemented his final solution on the travellers instead of the Jews he'd be considered a hero, not a tyrant. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A lot of Social studies and equality studies merchants on here. Some probably living with Mammy still and have no real experience of dealing with these Roofers/guttering scumbags and there is more.

But whatever, I have my views and experiences, and you have yours.

They are ethnically different so they have free reign now. What about my ethnic status?

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Help!!!! wrote:
    Or maybe he was just making a joke I dont think anyone really thinks like this
    Ethnic cleansing can be a joke? How?
    Help!!!! wrote:
    They are not a race, they are still white so protected under the same laws as everyone else

Racism laws aren't just about race. Travellers are protected by racism law and quite rightly IMO judging by a lot of comments on this thread.
    travellers already have white privilege, it seems odd to give them more privilege.

I genuinely afraid to delve to deeply into this statement but have to ask what is white privilege? Are you suggesting that non white should be treated differently? Scary stuff :(

Actually, no, it's a fact. If you want to take your head out of the sand long enough, I could link the findings? Would you read them and come back with a searing critique or more of the "Jaysis, that's nonsense" insights?

I'm not claiming that your claim is rubbish but that the findings are. Since the foundation of this state we have transferred vast amounts of money to travellers, enacted no discriminatory laws, banned no culture that was legal, had no state discrimination, facilitated their nomadic culture with halting sites, and gave them priority on housing in many cases and on and on. If anything travellers have been treated as untouchable - look at the treatment of horses, sulky races etc.

• Advertisement

A lot of Social studies and equality studies merchants on here. Some probably living with Mammy still and have no real experience of dealing with these Roofers/guttering scumbags and there is more.

Sure that must be it, obviously. All those contributors to international groups like the EU and the Council of Europe living with their Mammies, lacking have your breadth of experience and expertise on discrimination across the world.

Course they might point out that they're not the ones hiding behind their Mammies' skirts and shrieking at the mention of the word "traveller"...

Ah c'mon. Are you seriously saying that travellers pay their way in tax to the same degree as the "settled community"?

By all means go for it and say yes here. Go on!

I'll take that challenge. YES. Travellers on social welfare pay the same amount of tax as settled people on social welfare. Do you have any links with statistics proving otherwise?

If Hitler implemented his final solution on the travellers instead of the Jews he'd be considered a hero, not a tyrant. Go figure.

only by uncivilised extremists, who hate the jews and other minorities as well. everyone else would consider him to be the vermin he was.

But whatever, I have my views and experiences, and you have yours.

They are ethnically different so they have free reign now. What about my ethnic status?

Thank you all.

your post is based on the fact some take people as they see them rather then looking for groups of people to hate just because, rather then actual evidence. ah well.. you don't have an ethnic status, unless you can prove otherwise, in such a manner that is satisfactory to those making the decisians to grant such status

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'll take that challenge. YES. Travellers on social welfare pay the same amount of tax as settled people on social welfare. Do you have any links with statistics proving otherwise?

He didn't say travellers on social welfare though. That's your qualification.

only by uncivilised extremists, who hate the jews and other minorities as well. everyone else would consider him to be the vermin he was.

your post is based on the fact some take people as they see them rather then looking for groups of people to hate just because, rather then actual evidence. ah well.. you don't have an ethnic status, unless you can prove otherwise, in such a manner that is satisfactory to those making the decisians to grant such status

Not necessarily, all other minorities by and large contribute something to society, travellers don't.

They ride sulkies when im at work paying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Statements like this are exactly the reason why Travellers need ethnic status and protection. The vitriolic racism on here is quite shocking and highlights a wilful ignorance of the dynamics of marginalisation and disadvantage.

He didn't say travellers on social welfare though. That's your qualification.

Ok then. Travellers in full time jobs pay as much tax as settled people in full time jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

l.

Surly you can tell us of your vast interactions with them so??

You seem to know the them well enough to target the entire community?

Statements like this are exactly the reason why Travellers need ethnic status and protection. The vitriolic racism on here is quite shocking and highlights a wilful ignorance of the dynamics of marginalisation and disadvantage.

I thought he was making an ironic comment about the depravity of some contributions here!

I thought he was making an ironic comment about the depravity of some contributions here!

Nothing ironic about my comments, people like you pander and cater to the lowest common denominator, the bleeding heart brigade out in force to protect the ones who get all the protection and have everything handed to them yet still feel hard done by, all for some misguided notion that your fighting for the little guy when in reality its the regular people that need it, the people without the ethnic status and protection that these cretins are handed day in and day out for a culture that breeds crime.

People like you are a disgrace and are the reason things like travellers thrive.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see some of them on here prosecuted for hate crimes.

People like you are a disgrace...

Says poster who referenced Hitler, apparently with approval rather than irony...:)

Good man yourself.

I'd like to see some of them on here prosecuted for hate crimes.

I think laughter is the best approach myself.

I loved the way Hitler fan clarified that, like really guys, he approves of Hitler! Ah come on, if you can't laugh at that...

I think laughter is the best approach myself.

I loved the way Hitler fan clarified that, like really guys, he approves of Hitler! Ah come on, if you can't laugh at that...

It is dangerous though, using words like extermination, calling people "things" is dehumanising and when we classify people as non-human, we can treat them badly (to say the least).

What does make me laugh is people going on about Travellers not working, when it's almost impossible for them to get a job because no-one will hire them. Now that is ironic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sure that must be it, obviously. All those contributors to international groups like the EU and the Council of Europe living with their Mammies, lacking have your breadth of experience and expertise on discrimination across the world.

Course they might point out that they're not the ones hiding behind their Mammies' skirts and shrieking at the mention of the word "traveller"...

I doubt that the contributors to International groups have had to deal with sulky racing robbing scumbags who are totally above the law in this country.

SjWS all the way, telling the rest of us how we should should tip toe silently around people who affect us, but of whom they know nothing about. Typical leftie holier than thou Foxrock living social justice warriors, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I doubt that the contributors to International groups have had to deal with sulky racing robbing scumbags who are totally above the law in this country.

Curious and curiouser that you don't seem to be able to recount any personal dealings with them either??

The fact that there are so many in jail suggest there not above the law???

SjWS all the way, telling the rest of us how we should should tip toe silently around people who affect us, but of whom they know nothing about. Typical leftie holier than thou Foxrock living social justice warriors, LOL

Yes, people who travel across countries looking at cases of human rights abuses couldn't possibly have seen the horrors wrought by horses on the Queens Highway. Good God, people were held up going to work. It's outrageous.

You won't find too many lefties in foxrock.
    You started this thread and by doing so you've actually proved that travellers need the extra protection that their unique ethnicity will now get under the law.
    I tip my hat to you. Thanks for doing this service

Not necessarily, all other minorities by and large contribute something to society, travellers don't.

some travelers do. all other groups have some who don't as well.

They ride sulkies when im at work paying for them.

call the gards then. you are also paying for many other people.
    Nothing ironic about my comments, people like you pander and cater to the lowest common denominator, the bleeding heart brigade out in force to protect the ones who get all the protection and have everything handed to them yet still feel hard done by, all for some misguided notion that your fighting for the little guy when in reality its the regular people that need it, the people without the ethnic status and protection that these cretins are handed day in and day out for a culture that breeds crime.

People like you are a disgrace and are the reason things like travellers thrive.

there is no such thing as the "bleeding heart brigade" apart from in the minds of bigots racists and extremists. it's bigots racists and extremists who are the reason for rules to protect minorities having to be implemented.

no such thing as "sjws" . it's people with the facts who are telling us what needs to be done. you don't have to like it but no amount of victim style ranting will change the facts and the reality that travelers are an ethnic minority and that's not going to change. you will have to get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I haven't read all your posts but this post seems very angry, I do not know what interactions you may or may not have had with travellers or other people the PC brigade defend, but your anger must be rooted in personal experience.

Travellers are people not things, you may not like any travellers but I doubt that you have had interactions with all travellers, they are not all the same.

I grew up beside travellers, know several travellers for over 45 years, I have worked alongside travellers, I have worked in business where some of my best customers were travellers. I have met travellers I do not like, equally I have met people that are not travellers I do not like.

I have had experiences with travellers that could if I was to view all people the same way cloud my opinion of all travellers, the same could be said for people that were not travellers.

Many of the posts in this thread appear to be from people that have had bad experiences with travellers, or people that resent the fact that they pay tax and this funds traveller families.

Every person in this country that buys anything in this country pays tax, travellers pay tax, people on the dole pay tax its just that people that work in steady employment pay more tax.

It would be great if people calmed down a little and thought about the fact that the experiences you may have had with a small section of the travelling community does not give you the entitlement to judge all travellers.

Some posts in this thread are beneath contempt, traveller families do have children with disabilities, they do have all the usual impairments that settled people have, you may not have noticed these things because you do not know many travellers.

The disgusting suggestion that traveller families somehow or other indulge in a little infanticide to make sure these issues are not present in their families is probably the worst thing I have ever seen in the many thousands of posts I have read on boards over the years.

Advertisement