Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La La, La La, La La Land

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

murpho999 wrote: »
    15 minutes, wow you really gave it a chance and got into the story.

No film can be judged after 15 minutes.

If any film doesn't captivate its audience at the beginning then it truly must be sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As expected Jimmy Kimmel was utterly cringeworthy. I thought all of these Hollywood assholes would have emigrated by now??

At least he lives in a country where one as the right to mock the office of President on national television and not face any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was watching it in bed, for the simple reason I knew I would fall asleep.

I watched about 25 minutes before I was in lala land. I woke up many hours later and it was a great sleep.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the la la land producer was a bit of a brat? Grabbing the envelope from Beatty, and then making a big show of being 'proud' to hand the award to his 'friends'. Then again, Twitter is saying that he acted with 'grace and dignity', so it could be just me

How was he a brat, when he ensured that his film didn't get the prize and the correct film did.

I thought he handled it very well.

So if he hadn't said anything, his film would have got the Oscar?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

Has to be the worst movie ever created, when I watched I felt embarrassed for the people that were watching with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Has to be the worst movie ever created, when I watched I felt embarrassed for the people that were watching with me.

I haven't seen it but I sincerely doubt it's the worst movie ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beard Boss

There's a bit of a conspiracy around the best picture award. Apparently Emma Stone had the card with her name on it for best actress. So Warren Beatty couldn't have been holding it on stage.

Also I've heard that The academy made a last minute decision to give the award to Moonlight. Because of the recent bad press that the Oscars are racist and excluding black movies and actors. Also The move is more progressive, with LGBT issues

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you mean La La Land, it wasn't that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Beard Boss wrote: »
    Apparently Emma Stone had the card with her name on it for best actress.
    So Warren Beatty couldn't have been holding it on stage.

The truth of what happened in the 'mix up' is much more mundane.

Warren Beatty & Faye Dunaway had (mistakenly) been given a red envelope for the winner of another catagory :eek:

Warren opened the envelope, looked at it in disbelief, he then fixed a long puzzled gaze at his co host 'Faye Dunnaway' ... she then took the envelope from his hands and announced "And the winner is LaLaLand" . . . . .

We now know that Warren & Faye had been given the wrong envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does the winner take the envelope with their award so I assume Emma would have hers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

There's a bit of a conspiracy around the best picture award. Apparently Emma Stone had the card with her name on it for best actress. So Warren Beatty couldn't have been holding it on stage.

Also I've heard that The academy made a last minute decision to give the award to Moonlight. Because of the recent bad press that the Oscars are racist and excluding black movies and actors. Also The move is more progressive, with LGBT issues

And that's why intelligent people don't believe in "conspiracy theories". It has already been perfectly explained. There are 2 of every envelope (in case one gets lost/damaged). The PWC folk simply handed Warren the wrong envelope.

Even if that wasn't the case, have a little think about your conspiracy theory. Are you actually trying to say that, in the few seconds between handing Warren the envelope and him opening it, "they" changed their minds and decided to award it to someone else???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does the winner take the envelope with their award so I assume Emma would have hers :confused:

See previous post.

Anyway. It was the stonecutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I doubt two senior partners in the biggest accounting firm in the world would sh!t all over their own careers to give the oscars a little bit of diversity cred.

It was a mess up and the other PwC firms will want to see heads roll.

The reality is at this stage of their careers they haven't done any grunt work in years, they just manage relationships/the business.

They took on this grunt work so they'd get to rub shoulders with Hollywood stars, it backfired badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah La La Land....what an ironically appropriate title (and not in the way they probably meant).

I was never a fan of musicals before, but Mrs. Rawr had converted me somewhat, and I had learned to like such a film when it was done well.

Throughout the cavalade of over 50 years of cinema shown to me, I began to get a sense of what made a good musical while learning to my surprise where some well known songs had come from. In the process I had also discovered two distinct types of musical:

A) The well-rounded film that just happens to be a musical.

B) The thrown together film that is just serves as filler between songs.

Alas, there were many less good / abysmal films that belong in Type B. "La La Land" also belongs to this group.

I watched the film a couple of weeks ago, and from end-to-end it felt like an exercise in "Making a musical for the sake of having a musical". The cinematography was extremely well done, I'll give it that, but beneath the gloss there was nothing much of substance. The characters were hollow and easily forgotten, the 'story' was thin as hell and it just draaaaaaaaged on, and on, and ooooooon, lurching from one well shot song to another. Watching La La Land was a chore.

So not a very good flick in general, but worse still it was something else I generally dislike as a rule. "La La Land" is pure Oscar Bait.

Over the past few years, whenever a musical manages to generate buzz in the beginning of the year, it is the token Oscar Bait project. The film is created specifically for Academy nomination and awards, and the entire marketing drive around the film counts on it (you'll notice they very often have dark coloured posters...ideal for an Oscar mention on the bottom)

I have a general dislike for films that were only made for the sake of slapping itself on the back. The title was designed to be said well over and over again on Oscar night. The shiny visuals are there just to be shown in clips when the film is nominated / awarded. ...and the music is there...well...because you have to do *something* with the rest of the 2 hours.

La La Land was a shiny well-filmed exercise in how to take big-ticket actors, throw together a lackluster musical, and run laughing to be bank on the back of Oscar-generated hype.

I am therefore delighted that it didn't win Best Picture, and got less than half of the awards they expected.

...not that Oscar Awards / Nominations every really told us anything meaningful about a film's quality....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do you mean La La Land, it wasn't that bad

No it wasn't, it was absolutely abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is annoying me now. The bloke who made the fcuk up is being flogged to death by the media and Hollywood. Id say he is mortified. Emma Stone said it was the worst moment of her life and comments like that don't help. These people dont live in the real world. Get over it, mistakes happen. They are only human.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I doubt two senior partners in the biggest accounting firm in the world would sh!t all over their own careers to give the oscars a little bit of diversity cred.

It was a mess up and the other PwC firms will want to see heads roll.

The reality is at this stage of their careers they haven't done any grunt work in years, they just manage relationships/the business.

They took on this grunt work so they'd get to rub shoulders with Hollywood stars, it backfired badly.

I wouldn't be feeling sorry for the 2 at all. The reality is, if you have progressed high in accounting and especially for a company like PWC, you're probably not a nice person.

I'm sure there are plenty of juniors who worked under them over the years that are having a wail of a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement