Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La La, La La, La La Land

Options

Comments

Anyone else think the la la land producer was a bit of a brat? Grabbing the envelope from Beatty, and then making a big show of being 'proud' to hand the award to his 'friends'. Then again, Twitter is saying that he acted with 'grace and dignity', so it could be just me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone else think the la la land producer was a bit of a brat? Grabbing the envelope from Beatty, and then making a big show of being 'proud' to hand the award to his 'friends'. Then again, Twitter is saying that he acted with 'grace and dignity', so it could be just me

How was he a brat, when he ensured that his film didn't get the prize and the correct film did.

I thought he handled it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

learn_more wrote: »
    Sky news presenter just now: Stars are making their way to the Oscars ceremony. The awards are expected to be dominated by la la land swipes at president Trump !

Should be fun.

Oh boy was it fun. Smartasses making sly remarks about their president, only to go and make one of the most, if not the monumental cock ups in showbiz history. Absolutely priceless.

I hope Trump picks it up and runs with it. They deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Michelle_b wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/02/27/oscars-mistake-really-happened-warren-beatty-wrongly-awarded/

Here it is explained really well and PWC have issued apologies. Wrong card given out. Producer for Lala land even admits card he was holding on stage said Emma stone La la la land... what a mess up!!!

Naaaaa Russian hackers, it was definately Russian hackers........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Emma Stone backstage: "I was also holding my Best Actress card at that time ... I don’t know what happened." #Oscars

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Oh boy was it fun. Smartasses making sly remarks about their president, only to go and make one of the most, if not the monumental cock ups in showbiz history. Absolutely priceless.

You do know that Trump was hardly mentioned during the night?

Don't see the link between an envelope mix up and criticism of Donald Trump either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

snowflaker wrote: »
    He couldn't check it? He has to bear some responsibility

I think Beatty is blameless here.

He opened the envelope saw, Emma Stone and thought it was strange. Showed it to Faye Dunaway and she said La La Land.

He had to make a decision very quickly.

Whoever gave him the wrong envelope is the culprit.

Could be solved by having clear labels on the front and back of what it contains.

"Best Actress- No 1", "Best Actress No 2", clearly marked so that it's seen before it's opened would have prevented this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

murpho999 wrote: »
    mattser wrote: »

You do know that Trump was hardly mentioned during the night?

Don't see the link between an envelope mix up and criticism of Donald Trump either.
    When I turned on the show the first thing I saw was the host troll tweeting Trump.  Plus, a lot of it the rest was implied.  They talked about being inclusive and stuff.

764dak wrote: »
    When I turned on the show the first thing I saw was the host troll tweeting Trump.  Plus, a lot of it the rest was implied.  They talked about being inclusive and stuff.

Reports I read was that host slagged Trump a bit and one recipient stated he was an immigrant and there was also the absence of Iranian director in protest at travel ban. That was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Never a more apt use of the phrase 'You had one job to do'

If there was a mix up with the envelope for a 'minor' category like sound editing or some such is one thing, but that it happened during the main category, the biggest award of the night is fishy.

So, A PR stunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The applaud of meryl streep was one of the most disgusing public liberal ass licking ive ever seen. I say the donald had the last laugh last night after such a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find this mistake difficult to believe. After all these years, with plummeting ratings, they made this mistake, for the most important moment of the night? It wasn't best make-up or best sound, it was best film? Nah

I reckon they gave them the wrong card, expected the 2 people to work it out and build the tension to ask for the correct card but the female host just shot her load and read. Warren Beatty copped it and didn't read it out. I have no idea why Warren Beatty is copping anything on this, he did the right thing.

valoren wrote: »
    Never a more apt use of the phrase 'You had one job to do'

If there was a mix up with the envelope for a 'minor' category like sound editing or some such is one thing, but that it happened during the main category, the biggest award of the night is fishy.

So, A PR stunt?
    I find this mistake difficult to believe. After all these years, with plummeting ratings, they made this mistake, for the most important moment of the night? It wasn't best make-up or best sound, it was best film? Nah

I reckon they gave them the wrong card, expected the 2 people to work it out and build the tension to ask for the correct card but the female host just shot her load and read. Warren Beatty copped it and didn't read it out. I have no idea why Warren Beatty is copping anything on this, he did the right thing.

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory.

This was a plain and simple screw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory.

This was a plan and simple screw up.

That's just what they want you think. The liberal elite of Hollywoo will blame Trump somehow. Just wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Are you tigger123 or triggered123? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Silly PWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Michelle_b wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/02/27/oscars-mistake-really-happened-warren-beatty-wrongly-awarded/

Here it is explained really well and PWC have issued apologies. Wrong card given out. Producer for Lala land even admits card he was holding on stage said Emma stone La la la land... what a mess up!!!

Handing somebody the right envelope....that is a difficult job alright !

tigger123 wrote: »
    That's just what they want you think. The liberal elite of Hollywoo will blame Trump somehow. Just wait and see.

Who the hell are the liberal elite of Hollywood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

neonsofa wrote: »
    I do think Faye just didn't cop the Emma stone part was wrong and she just saw la la land. I don't think she realised anything was wrong.

Surely the card said Best Actress on it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They ruined Mountain Dew & Doritos, or something else which angers Trump's fanboys. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I thought Beatty handled it well afterwards in giving an explanation for the screwup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I'm delighted that Trump didn't tweet anything during the Oscars. Jimmy Kimmel was goading him so that everyone could mock Trump.
    I'm no fan of Trumps and am all for intelligent debate but Kimmels behaviour was just childish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

learn_more wrote: »
    Who's stayin up to watch the Oscars ?

I hope la la, la la, la la, la la Land doesn't land as many Oscars as is predicted. I love films but I abhor all musicals without exception. It couldn't possibly be as good as ppl are sayin, someone is lying. I think the academy figured that since they didn't have a huge movie blockbuster this year they would just pretend they had knowing that most folk wouldn't know whether LLL was any good or not.

Your dead right, it was complete and utter unadulterated shíte. I was forced against my will to watch it by my wife. After 15 minutes we switched it off as she agreed that it was slow dull boring uninspiring rubbish. How the fück it was even nominated is beyond me!!

Your dead right, it was complete and utter unadulterated shíte. I was forced against my will to watch it by my wife. After 15 minutes we switched it off as she agreed that it was slow dull boring uninspiring rubbish. How the fück it was even nominated is beyond me!!

15 minutes, wow you really gave it a chance and got into the story.

No film can be judged after 15 minutes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Karate kid (the one with Will Smiths son) could be judged after 15 seconds!!

Instant classic!! move over Citizen Kane, theres a new king in town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

15 minutes, wow you really gave it a chance and got into the story.

If a film can't capture your attention within the first 15 minutes then it can't be very good. I have watched plenty of films where the first 15 minutes might have been slow but with la la land the first 15 minutes were dire, absolutely no redeeming storylines or anything even mildly interesting. It was pure horseshîte. .

I was taking the piss.

La La Land is good, I thought it lacked a bit of chemistry between the two leads tbh though.

Plus, the sound design didn't really work for me, I expected full on technicolor sound for the big musical numbers, which it didn't have.

But the ending was excellent. Really worked for me and lifted the entire film.

Moonlight is a worthy winner though, its hard to fault it, an excellent film!

• Advertisement

If a film can't capture your attention within the first 15 minutes then it can't be very good. I have watched plenty of films where the first 15 minutes might have been slow but with la la land the first 15 minutes were dire, absolutely no redeeming storylines or anything even mildly interesting. It was pure horseshîte. .

You've missed out on a lot of good films then.
    Plenty of films have had strange/odd starts but develop as the film goes on.

Advertisement