Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La La, La La, La La Land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Shannon757 wrote: »
    *waits for all the Warren Beatty memes*

You'll be the first to post them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

You'll be the first to post them :)

aqb1MxZ_460s.jpg

aQ9eKLd_460s.jpg

aqb1O0M_460s_v2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    you had one job warren Beatty :mad:

Actually it was Faye Dunnaway who read out what was on the card. He opened the envelope, she took the card and read out 'LA LA land' ...

Explanation from the BBC.

"It appears Warren Beatty didn't just have the wrong card, he was given the envelope for the entirely wrong category"...

He' off the hook, but whoever handed him the wrong envelope sounds like they belong in LA LA Land :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Looked like a fix to me just to garner more PR and media hype.
    The La La land music was played immediately once he announced it.
    I would have thought the orchestra / floor manager etc... would be aware of the winners just prior to allow setup etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Feel bad for Warren Beatty aswell. Huge moment for him ruined by an incompetent staffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Feel bad for Warren Beatty aswell. Huge moment for him ruined by an incompetent staffer.

He couldn't check it? He has to bear some responsibility

a9rAwR1_460s.jpg

aKVDZvj_460s_v1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was listening to the guy from PWC who manages all the counting on radio this week. He hands the envelopes out personally.
    Guess his career in PWC is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just watched it on YouTube. That wasn't awkward at all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

snowflaker wrote: »

Faye Dunnaway read out 'LA LA Land' as was written on the card, but they had been handed the wrong card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

The lalaland lad saved the day. Plus Did Emma Stone know she had won at that stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I see Trump dodged some bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

D0NNELLY wrote: »

The lalaland lad saved the day. Plus Did Emma Stone know she had won at that stage?

Best pic is last award, so yep.
    She has her Oscar in her hand I think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

To be fair to Warren, when he opened the card and saw;

Emma Stone
    La La Land

He hesitated for a moment as it was probably confusing as to why Stones' name was on the card,
    And probably before it dawned on him that something was amiss, the lady next to him just said the movie title she saw on the card!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Chazelle should have drop kicked the conversion before they could go back on the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

To be fair to Warren, when he opened the card and saw;

Emma Stone
    La La Land

He hesitated for a moment as it was probably confusing as to why Stones' name was on the card,
    And probably before it dawned on him that something was amiss, the lady next to him just said the movie title she saw on the card!

It definitely wasn't his fault. He never said anything, just stayed quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

snowflaker wrote: »

Yea he was front and centre in this balls up.

How the guys were allowed to start their acceptance speech is frankly incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I only saw one envelope at any stage...the producer of La La Land grabs the card from Warren Beatty and shows it to the crowd...

My own suspicion is that Warren Beatty couldn't read what was on the card because he forgot his glasses and Faye Dunaway took a flyer, hoping she'd be right..

EDIT - Ive just seen the video again and for a split second, you CAN see a second envelope....apologies to Warren Beatty...in fairness, Faye Dunaway actually announced the wrong movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

exaisle wrote: »
    I only saw one envelope at any stage...the producer of La La Land grabs the card from Warren Beatty and shows it to the crowd...

My own suspicion is that Warren Beatty couldn't read what was on the card because he forgot his glasses and Faye Dunaway took a flyer, hoping she'd be right..

I thought a producer brought on the correct card and that is the one that was shown to audience. But this makes a lot more sense considering Emma stone has said she was holding her best actress card (the one they are saying they read from accidentally) the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

neonsofa wrote: »
    I thought a producer brought on the correct card and that is the one that was shown to audience. But this makes a lot more sense considering Emma stone has said she was holding her best actress card (the one they are saying they read from accidentally) the whole night.

There's 2 of every card

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38923750

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

neonsofa wrote: »

BBC are saying there are spares of all the award cards, and that a spare 'Best Actress' envelope ended up in Beatty's hands. In fairness, it must have been confusing, which is why he played for time. It wasn't him who lost their nerve, in front of an entire industry sitting there & millions of viewers at home, glanced at the card and went with a movie title that was expected to sweep the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I've been sayin' for years that Bonnie and Clyde are wrong 'uns...and now this happens!

Ah you guys are so clever! That makes sense!

BBC are saying there are spares of all the award cards, and that a spare 'Best Actress' envelope ended up in Beatty's hands. In fairness, it must have been confusing, which is why he played for time. It wasn't him who lost their nerve, in front of an entire industry sitting there & millions of viewers at home, glanced at the card and went with a movie title that was expected to sweep the boards.

I do think Faye just didn't cop the Emma stone part was wrong and she just saw la la land. I don't think she realised anything was wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Chazelle should have drop kicked the conversion before they could go back on the decision.

The TMO has ruined the modern Oscars game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've just seen the video again....and for a split second you CAN see a second red envelope....

Dear oh dear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/02/27/oscars-mistake-really-happened-warren-beatty-wrongly-awarded/

Here it is explained really well and PWC have issued apologies. Wrong card given out. Producer for Lala land even admits card he was holding on stage said Emma stone La la la land... what a mess up!!!

Advertisement