Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

He didn’t I’m afraid. Can send you a link to the bootleg if you want to hear for yourself.

My mistake. I was sure he did. I'd love a link to the bootleg, it was a fantastic show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I am mine ??? or did he cover the phedora song?

Sorry I am mine always mixes that title up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

4 gigs to see Eddie and PJ in the last 2 years and not once have I heard Jeremy .
    Maybe next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Great show....Even Flow instrumental, Elderly Woman, Black and Better Man were epic

Some amount of painful people there....spent the first hour of the gig being dazzled by torches from all the people who couldn't be arsed to take their seats on time, or show the performers a bit of respect.

Also everyone naturally stood for the atmospheric bits, but even when our entire block was seated this horrible woman immediately in front of me insisted on standing for whole 15-20 minute segments and doing this odd zombie sway....Ended up trying to sit at a 45 degree angle and no matter how much I craned my neck I couldn't see either Eddie on Stage or even the screen. After an age I lost my patience and asked her to please sit down but she just blankly ignored me.

Dark hair, glasses, mother and father were siblings, guaranteed. Height of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I do have a certain level of tolerance in the 3 arena for idiocy but feckin hell at certain points last night it was like half the place was going home...at least 1000 people just walking around without a care

• Advertisement

Yeah I do have a certain level of tolerance in the 3 arena for idiocy but feckin hell at certain points last night it was like half the place was going home...at least 1000 people just walking around without a care

People have too much ( borrowed ) money is all I can say .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

And the real low point of the night: there was no Guinness, only Murphy's.

surprised Eddie never brought out a live recording from this or the 2017 tour ??

Its hard to knw will we ever see that type of show from him again. Be a buzzkill if say 2021 he returned yet again with Glen Hansard. Is there anyone else who could tour solo with him ???. They do go together extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was expecting Glen as the warm up not to hear the auld trainagle instead of Jeremy and then Eddie finishes on a Neil Young tune. Hopefully Neil plays Jeremy in Kilkenny.
    I'd say if Eddie pulled out a potato the crowd would have lost their mind, they'll literally stand and clap at anything he did. Thought it was a bit OTT. Felt like mass when people don't know when to sit or stand after a prayer.
    Great Gig but at the same time I was left wanting a bit more pearl jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I thought the gig was really good... I dont think it was as good as 2017.... That was just electric...Eddie gave it socks and told some interesting anecdotes.. maybe he was a bit scatty compared to last time, but he is a real expert at working a crowd...
    I dunno about u guys, but I kinda miss Pearl Jam now... I think the acoustic stuff is fab... But Ed just seems to wanna rock out on some of the songs.. i think the drums, bass, lead guitar can take some of these songs to the next level... I have loved Pearl Jam for well over 20years & there can be a dark ness and intense emotional energy to some of their stuff & i think a small part of me misses that and finds the happy....lights on ....we're all together.. a bit too happy clappy for me... But thats just a small personal gripe.. i still have a sh1tload of admiration for the guy...

Last thing ... I think he really lets go at gigs.. just goes with the flow.. sees how things feel..  poor Glen is probably hanging on at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Yea.. i agree .. it felt a bit ott at times... bit like a evangelical ceremony 😂😂

Any ideas, roughly how much €€€ Eddie would take home from last nights show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I have a great quality recording from last night and it’s comfirmed. It’s a brilliant gig. Such a brilliant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I have a great quality recording from last night and it’s comfirmed. It’s a brilliant gig. Such a brilliant one.

Good to have you back :P

PTH2009 wrote: »
    surprised Eddie never brought out a live recording from this or the 2017 tour ??

Its hard to knw will we ever see that type of show from him again. Be a buzzkill if say 2021 he returned yet again with Glen Hansard. Is there anyone else who could tour solo with him ???. They do go together extremely well

Jimmy Somerville?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Arequipa wrote: »
    Last thing ... I think he really lets go at gigs.. just goes with the flow.. sees how things feel..  poor Glen is probably hanging on at times!

I can see why people might think that but tbh I think that's just Glen being super respectful of Vedder and it comes across as him being reserved but anyone that would know Glen from the Frames gigs would know a much different side to him. I think he just doesn't want to be seen as someone who thinks he's on a par with Eddie fcuking Vedder and so sits back a little when he's on stage with him.

Also, Glen is the lead singer with a band of his own and I'm sure wouldn't mind putting all the Swell Season and solo stuff to the side himself for a time to get back to the more rock side of his roots. If Pearl Jam do play the 3 Arena again wouldn't mind seeing the Frames support them. Revelate sounds grand acoustically, but similarly to a lot of Pearl Jam tracks, it absolutely loses something preformed that way too.

Just on the song 'This Gift' - great track, but the first time I heard it performed Glen had his niece Amy sing it with him and so anytime I hear it now it just doesn't sound right with only him. Sounds ways better with a female singing it along with him. So hopefully Amy will get an invite to wherever his next Dublin gig happens to be.

Anyway, hopefully there'll be more Vedder - Hansard gigs down the line, in any format, Frames, Pearl Jam, acoustic electric, whatever. They're always class, even if certain members of the crowd are not, but sure that's gigs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Great Gig thought the 2017 was better but as people have said i think that was more down to the crowd than anything. Wasn't bothered too much by the numpties in the crowd but there was plenty of them. Agree it was like Mass this time around with people not sure what to be doing sit stand dance whatever

Highlights for me were the Red Limo Intros thought they were a bit drowned out when playing with Eddie. Just added something different.

Still will be going again the next time he comes around but hopefully he'll bring the rest of the Guys and play one of the larger spots

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lofidelity

Eddie's voice is amazing. I could have done without Glen, the Auld triangle, and Queen and Neil Young. A waste of valuable time that could be better spent on what we all want- more Pearl Jam songs.....

On the crowd issues, thats a fact of life in Ireland. People like their booze on a night out. Constant talking, going out for a pee and returning with overflowing trays of pints. I was in the middle of a row in block C so it didnt distract me too much. I was drinking the night before at Foals so i was on the dry and i didnt have to leave my seat for all 2.5 hours.

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Eddie's voice is amazing. I could have done without Glen, the Auld triangle, and Queen and Neil Young. A waste of valuable time that could be better spent on what we all want- more Pearl Jam songs.....

On the crowd issues, thats a fact of life in Ireland. People like their booze on a night out. Constant talking, going out for a pee and returning with overflowing trays of pints. I was in the middle of a row in block C so it didnt distract me too much. I was drinking the night before at Foals so i was on the dry and i didnt have to leave my seat for all 2.5 hours.

i don't truley understand why but i wanted to kill the guy in front of me when he appeared back at his seat at 10.55 with a giant popcorn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

i don't truley understand why but i wanted to kill the guy in front of me when he appeared back at his seat at 10.55 with a giant popcorn.....

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

That beggars belief.did he think there was a movie after vedder ?

• Advertisement

That beggars belief.did he think there was a movie after vedder ?

he needed both his hands to shovel it in before the gig ended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

"For four hours, on a balmy summer’s evening in Dublin, a sold out 3Arena is introduced to what may as well be titled ‘Ed & Glen’s Excellent Adventure’... It’s a testament to the talent of Hansard and Vedder, that they easily made a sold-out arena feel as intimate as a Sunday trad-session in the Cobblestone."

https://www.hotpress.com/music/live-report-eddie-vedder-glen-hansard-3arena-22779241

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't understand why they don't close the bars around 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

adrian522 wrote: »

Or the popcorn stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

adrian522 wrote: »

I think they’re rather keen on making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I had one pint at the gig, and i got it after half 10, skipped out during falling slowly cause I have heard it 8 billion times. I was delighted the bar was still open :pac:

Arequipa wrote: »

Any ideas, roughly how much €€€ Eddie would take home from last nights show?

Probably 50-70 percent of the gross which was over 1 million euro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think they are making more than enough on the ticket prices, merchandise and the bar between 6.30 and 10.30.

I don't mind people having a drink but when you are drunk to the point where you can only communicate by shouting at the person next to you its not a great situation.

Especially when you see people coming back with 4 more pints at that time when they can barely walk.

what did everyone think of that acapella gospel thing Glen Hansard done. Only found a recording of it on my phone and it was brillent. That man has some set of lungs on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Probably 50-70 percent of the gross which was over 1 million euro.

Not saying this in a negative way.... He's hugely likeable....And I am a fan.

But I did wonder a few times, and the earnings forced me to ask.... Was he drunk like?

- He seemed a bit rambly, incoherent at times, struggling to collect his thoughts and chat with the crowd.

No hate please - am not attacking him or taking from his huge talent....just wondering what your impressions were.

Advertisement