Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

adrian522 wrote: »
    You don't have to pay roaylties for playing songs in concert.

If he wasn't the writer or publisher he would have to pay royalties

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Incorrect. If that was the case no cover or tribute band could afford to exist.
    In Ireland for example a venue pays a licence to the Irish musical rights organization once a year. The amount they pay is proportional to the venues size and capacity.

Then a band does a gig there. They play a load of cover songs . But the band does not pay anything for playing them as this is covered by the venue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Amount of covers Ed plays he wouldn’t make any money if he had to play royalties to those he’s coverin ;)

Amount of covers Ed plays he wouldn’t make any money if he had to play royalties to those he’s coverin ;)

It's not big money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's not big money

Doesn't matter. You don't pay for songs covered in concerts

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Incorrect. If that was the case no cover or tribute band could afford to exist.

That covers pubs, international acts have a deal also. In fact I think bands get a royalty from playing their own songs live . Again it's not big money.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. You don't pay for songs covered in concerts

Can you back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

He sticks closely to playing his own songs he wrote. Corduroy long road LBC I am mine etc.
    You won’t see him playing any of the others songs like footsteps or daughter or thin air. Acousticish songs but written by the lads
    Probably cos he doesn’t want to be seen making money off the other guys efforts.

That’s only fair.

He played daughter at the 2017 gig

He played daughter at the 2017 gig

He didn’t I’m afraid. Can send you a link to the bootleg if you want to hear for yourself.

The venue handle the royalty payments so that money would go to the publishers, so say for the song "black" eddie and stone would receive a small payment from the royalty collector who has gathered fees from all the venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The venue handle the royalty payments so that money would go to the publishers, so say for the song "black" eddie and stone would receive a small payment from the royalty collector who has gathered fees from all the venues.

got there before me

Freddie Vedder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mams hippo flaps

I wasn't too far away from you from the angle of that pic...

I know it's a small thing... German audience were told he wanted to keep something between him and them... they got Seasons.....we got Eddie in buck teeth!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

That was a great gig. I wasn't sure what to expect, I've been to about 15 Pearl Jam gigs down the years but not an Eddie solo. It was fantastic.

The ten club tickets I got were only a couple of rows from the front right in the centre. It felt like a gig in a small venue as a result, brilliant.

I thought the song selection was excellent. I also do not get the Glen Hansard hatred.. strikes me as Irish begrudger type stuff. I used to be a big Frames fan but went off them because of the fanatical fanbase, but I never thought Glen was a ****head or anything. I am delighted for him that he got his big break after slogging it for so long, and him and Eddie look to have made a really genuine friendship. FFS Eddie Vedder was wandering around Celbridge village the other day as a result, lol.

The posts on here about acrimony with other PJ members over money because Eddie plays some PJ songs. You have to laugh. PJ are a billion dollar money making machine. Each of the lads has got to be worth AT LEAST €50M, maybe even double that. I'd be stunned if money is a bone of contention in any way whatsoever at this stage. Also for that reason while I love PJ music and PJ shows, I have never been one of those fans who elevates them in my head beyond what they are; a commercial business. That's why you're paying 100 quid to watch a guy with a guitar and a string quartet, and not 40 quid a ticket cos of the "special relationship" with the fans.

All in all a great show. I loved Aul Triangle.. the entire arena singing it etc. What other country has he stopped in where a local song belted out by 10000 people is part of the show???? It's a great connection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Also worth mentioning.. there were some empty seats around me in the flats.. disappointing for any ten club members who were given tickets in the stands. Also there were a load of front row seats (maybe all?) given to people plucked randomly from the crowd.. again not Ten Club members. Some people hit jackpot!!

i have to say i was never a huge hansard fan and only a casual PJ fan ..but last night was amazing ...both guys are legends.

One thing i noticed last night...Pearl jam fans are very similar to Rush fans the only difference being women like pearl jam!! Feckin Nerds!!!

I mean that nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

spockety wrote: »
    The ten club tickets I got were only a couple of rows from the front right in the centre. It felt like a gig in a small venue as a result, brilliant.

Yeah, turns out the ticket I posted a link to on Ebay was Row 3, dead centre.... did any of you buy it?

We were in a close row but over to the left and as a consequence had to face to the right all night, my neck is in bits. Flat seating on either the extreme left right are not the best for that reason. Grand when everyone stands though which mostly we were.

Meant to say last night, the Springsteen cover of My City In Ruins was also nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

I thought last night was amazing. I don't even care about the money. I love pearl jam and have seen them about 18 times but I equally love Eddie's solo shows. I'm still on a buzz. Just got home to Galway, going to do a quick house clean, spend some time with the kids and pack the bags for London tomorrow.

If you’re bummed out about the seats you got, my pal flew from Philadelphia yesterday for the show, into Amsterdam for a connecting flight to Dublin.
    Boarded the plane for Dublin and something went wrong with the engines and they all had to get off the plane. Flight was cancelled.
    We all frantically tried to sort other flights for her.
    Aer Lingus went above and beyond on the phone and booked her on a flight goin to Dublin with only 20 minutes to gate closing time. She’d have a day or two for her bags to follow her to Dublin but she didn’t care. She just wanted to go to the gig.
    Lady on the phone was brilliant and put the booking through. Pal had the etickets and boarding pass on her email.
    She ran to the gate at Schipol and the woman at the desk wouldn’t let her through. Good few minutes to spare and nope. Cow at the gate refused totally to let her board.

She’s devastated. Pretty much a massive waste of money, and missed the gig.
    I hope the bitch at the gate gets bitten by something with rabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

If you’re bummed out about the seats you got, my pal flew from Philadelphia yesterday for the show, into Amsterdam for a connecting flight to Dublin.
    Boarded the plane for Dublin and something went wrong with the engines and they all had to get off the plane. Flight was cancelled.
    We all frantically tried to sort other flights for her.
    Aer Lingus went above and beyond on the phone and booked her on a flight goin to Dublin with only 20 minutes to gate closing time. She’d have a day or two for her bags to follow her to Dublin but she didn’t care. She just wanted to go to the gig.
    Lady on the phone was brilliant and put the booking through. Pal had the etickets and boarding pass on her email.
    She ran to the gate at Schipol and the woman at the desk wouldn’t let her through. Good few minutes to spare and nope. Cow at the gate refused totally to let her board.

She’s devastated. Pretty much a massive waste of money, and missed the gig.
    I hope the bitch at the gate gets bitten by something with rabies.
    Ah that is total crap. Loads of tickets going for London though if she can afford to pick one up, and a cheap flight.
    Really is the bollocks. I hate to hear of that happening to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jgordo wrote: »
    I thought last night was amazing. I don't even care about the money. I love pearl jam and have seen them about 18 times but I equally love Eddie's solo shows. I'm still on a buzz. Just got home to Galway, going to do a quick house clean, spend some time with the kids and pack the bags for London tomorrow.

Where did you meet him?
    long after the gig ?

Lucky!!
    I remember seeing him point at that flag during the gig ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

I stayed in the Gibson last night, so arrived there bright and early, spent a few hours chatting to people, ... couldn't believe the amount of people who had flown in for the gig! Was talking to a few groups of Americans who were making it their 4th of July treat
    ..quite a few Spanish and Dutch there also....
    and even though I'm an old fart, it's heartening to see so many teens and people in their early 20's enjoying the gig last night... there's hope for music here yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was shooting the show last night but had to do it from a distance for Eddie. Click either image for gallery.

48194628437_4398d62147_c.jpg

48194589261_0ce9583f76_c.jpg

Some great shots of Glen there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

One of the funny moments on stage when Eddie was talking about Damian Echols (West Memphis Three) picking a song at Some gathering.

Eddie : “.......so Damian picks one these songs off,from umm,what do you call it again”???

Audience Member : “ The Internet”???

Brilliant....:D

The very first song played on the pump organ is fantastic. Hope something comes of it. Such an interesting melody and brilliant lyrics. If anything he’s got more control and strength in his voice than ever

One of the funny moments on stage when Eddie was talking about Damian Echols (West Memphis Three) picking a song at Some gathering.

Eddie : “.......so Damian picks one these songs off,from umm,what do you call it again”???

Audience Member : “ The Internet”???

Brilliant....:D

Very funny last night but my retelling the story today....not so funny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

The very first song played on the pump organ is fantastic. Hope something comes of it. Such an interesting melody and brilliant lyrics. If anything he’s got more control and strength in his voice than ever

I thought that was amazing. You could’ve heard a penny drop

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see rules were broken lol

Anyway great concerts and setlist both. Was a pleasure hearing Failing Slowly performed by the 2 of them not too mention City Of Ruins. Personally favourites from Eddie's set for me was All is mine (heartbreaking I could not record it), Elderly Women, Driftin, Black, Better man and Rocking in the free world. I would of liked too hear Unknown Thought and Daughter but sadly not too be. Glen Hansard was amazing in his short set but went on a few rants which dragged on. Hopefully he will change it up for Kilkenny

Irish Pearl Jam show for 2020 please. Any bootlegs from last night?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PTH2009 wrote: »
    . Personally favourites from Eddie's set for me was All is mine (heartbreaking I could not record it),

I am mine ??? or did he cover the phedora song?

Advertisement