Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

valoren wrote: »
    Seinfeld, Classic Simpsons, Friends, Frasier, Father Ted.

Spoiled for choice for comedy back in the 90's.

Cut Friends, replace with the Larry Sanders Show and you've got an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I miss the mainstream radio music of the 90s. The likes of The Cardigans.
    There is a lot of good music out these days but it tends to be more underground.

90s teen movies superior to those of this decade. Clueless, American Pie, Cruel Intentions, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I miss the mainstream radio music of the 90s. The likes of The Cardigans.
    There is a lot of good music out these days but it tends to be more underground.

90s teen movies superior to those of this decade. Clueless, American Pie, Cruel Intentions, etc.

The mainstream music?

Peter Andre
    The Spice Girls
    Bewitched
    Boyzone
    Steps
    Whigfield
    Ricky f*cking Martin
    Will Smith
    Right Said Fred
    Vanilla Ice

Shall I go on? I haven't even mentioned any awful Britpop acts, which were probably worse as they took themselves seriously - like Kula Shaker, The Lightening Seeds, Menswear, Dodgy (I had an album of theirs called "Free Peace Sweet" :(:(:( ) I found albums by all of them in my old bedroom recently.

As for the movies. I was born in 1980, I absolutely loved 80s teen movies as a teenager. Can't buy me love, The Breakfast Club, Licence to Drive, Ferris Bueller etc. I'm sure teenagers nowadays probably look back to the 2000s somehow.

My point is - culturally there always seems to be good and bad. Then you get older and you have more important things than the pop charts to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I finished school, started earning, started partying, met my greatest love, broke up, met my husband and had my first baby spanning from 1991-1999
    Took to the twentyteens to get my greatest love back so I'm divided on the best decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

like Kula Shaker

K is still a magnificent album.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    K is still a magnificent album.

Eughh, unbearable sound, to me anyway

cbyrd wrote: »
    I finished school, started earning, started partying, met my greatest love, broke up, met my husband and had my first baby spanning from 1991-1999
    Took to the twentyteens to get my greatest love back so I'm divided on the best decade.

What greatest love did you get back? Partying I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Personally my feeling is that nothing happened in the 90's.

The 00's had smartphones.

Lots of changes in the 80's. And previous decades.

Home computers and the internet became popular in the 90s. The 00s had smartphones, guess what came before them in the 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes. Nothing original happened in the 90's. Amazing number of my age group don't get that.

Said he while typing in an Internet forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Billy86 wrote: »
    Said he while typing in an Internet forum. :D
    Exactly
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8461

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

"19 years ago" - Jaysus, now that's a necro thread! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was child in the 1990's what I miss most about them is believing anything was possible, but I suppose lots of children feel like this growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was child in the 1990's what I miss most about them is believing anything was possible!

There's that...and the fact Pogs existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you miss the 90's that much - just move to Leitrim, they'll be arriving there in about 18 months:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The 90's weren't a patch on the 80's but they were a million miles ahead of the decades that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

What greatest love did you get back? Partying I hope!

Lol, no. Haven't the energy or the patience for partying anymore. It was the Man I got back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Maybe nothing eventful happened and you can call a lot of the music shíte but in terms of optimism and the feeling you could do whatever you wanted, the period was unrivaled. The internet was starting to make its mark but our lives were still relatively insular and we still had some modicum of privacy. The wall had fallen at the end of the eighties and for a relatively short amount of time, there was little tension in the West - there was no Reds under the bed and 9/11 and the rise of Islam extremism had yet to make its mark. The most pressing issue of the day was whether Bill blew his load in Monica's mouth and wiped off his willy on her dress afterwards. The likes of the Balkan Civil War and Rwanda seemed so removed from where we were and the lack of media saturation meant you didn't really get to see as much about them as we now would about contemporary conflicts.

Acid house ushered in a loved up vibe that seemed to even defeat football hooliganism and the mental illegal raves and house parties were top notch - the likes of Underworld and Orbital were also pumping out amazing music. We'd go to gay clubs for the great house music you'd usually get there and you could see the optimism there as well. Gay-friendly nights like Powderbubble in the Pod were amazing events and were joyful than anything I ever saw in a straight club.

For a while it felt like we could just forget about politics and just enjoy ourselves. It came back to bite us on the ass of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Money... we developed a taste for it as the 90's progressed and we f**king loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I was a teenager at the beginning of the nineties and in my early twenties by the time it ended. My father was still alive too. So in that regard I miss it.

As for popular culture though it was shite. And Tetris was first released in the eighties. They did bring out the best version of Tetris in the nineties though. Tetris DX for the Gameboy Colo(u)r. It moves more smoothly than the original and it saves your high scores. I still play it on my Gameboy Advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Granted I was still a kid in the 90's, but didn't the real rave and pill scene happen in the late 80's, and the people who go into it in the 90's were just bandwagon-jumpers?

The great thing about the 90s dance scene was that people were so off their heads, they didn't have time to be hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Cienciano wrote: »
    Home computers and the internet became popular in the 90s. The 00s had smartphones, guess what came before them in the 90s?

Am I to guess what you just said. Home computers were more popular on the 80's actually. Then they all died off until pcs became cheaper.

I didn't own one until 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

It was an age when FOX Kids was the Tv channel I needed to have!! (but couldn't afford so had to get my Friend to tape the below for me in long play, so I could turn a 4 hour VHS into an 8 hour VHS)
    - X-men
    -Spider-man
    -Hulk
    - Fantastic 4
    - Power Rangers
    - Swamp Thing
    -Batman The Animated Series
    - Goosebumps

Amazing shows,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Great cars in the 90's. Lots of future classics.

Fox Hound wrote: »
    It was an age when FOX Kids was the Tv channel I needed to have!! (but couldn't afford so had to get my Friend to tape the below for me in long play, so I could turn a 4 hour VHS into an 8 hour VHS)
    - X-men
    -Spider-man
    -Hulk
    - Fantastic 4
    - Power Rangers
    - Swamp Thing
    - Goosebumps

Amazing shows,

Goosebumps, one of my favourites!
    Also 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' was another great one.

I've seen snippets of recent childrens/teens programmes and they're so dumbed down and over the top. They don't make them like they used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've seen snippets of recent childrens/teens programmes and they're so dumbed down and over the top. They don't make them like they used to.

The Amazing World of Gumball, The Regular Show and Adventure Time are all current children's cartoons that knock the socks off anything that was out in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Fox Hound wrote: »
    - X-men
    -Spider-man
    -Hulk
    - Fantastic 4
    - Power Rangers
    - Swamp Thing
    - Goosebumps

Amazing shows,

Goosebumps, one of my favourites!
    Also 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' was another great one.

Are you afraid of the Dark was deadly!!! that dust the put on the fire blew my mind!!!

The Amazing World of Gumball, The Regular Show and Adventure Time are all current children's cartoons that knock the socks off anything that was out in the 90s.

I was talking more children's shows (like dramas/sitcoms) not cartoons that are lacking in quality.

I think that's Laois footballer, Billy Sheehan (who's from Tralee) at 09 seconds - he's wearing the cap.

And you gotta love the baby suppin' a pint of guinness. The good old days

Willie Daly - 'world renowned match maker' at 2:35, good mother of mercy that's worth a listen for anyone! The local women are leaving but the Chinese women are mad for us, and they'll wash out feet and all!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

1995 — Clare's first All Ireland in 81 years ! 'Hup the Banner !!!

Advertisement