Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPB/HPB

Options
  • 04-03-1998 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many of you have seen this, but Overlord showed me it yesterday,
    a Quake Proxy. What it does is, it's a middleman between you and the server
    and can intentionally lag you. Basically, a 70PING LPB can deliberately put his
    ping to 200 or so and play as a HPB. I see no rule in the IQCL rules about this
    type of play, but it's completely above board, and is easily distinguished from a
    ping-faker. Overlord was playing the other night against CW lads on a 250 ping and
    it completely evened the game out. A question to the IQCL admins :- Can a proxy be used in the competition, and if not, why not ?

Zero.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

: I don't know how many of you have seen this, but Overlord showed me it yesterday,
    : a Quake Proxy. What it does is, it's a middleman between you and the server
    : and can intentionally lag you. Basically, a 70PING LPB can deliberately put his
    : ping to 200 or so and play as a HPB. I see no rule in the IQCL rules about this
    : type of play, but it's completely above board, and is easily distinguished from a
    : ping-faker. Overlord was playing the other night against CW lads on a 250 ping and
    : it completely evened the game out. A question to the IQCL admins :- Can a proxy be used in the competition, and if not, why not ?

: Zero.

good idea as it would even out the advantage somwhat for us little HPBers! i think it should be aloowed use in the league!
    nice one Zero!
    SeP

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is this something like pingspoof where u can enter the ping u want other ppl to see....

A LPB's dream this one... Get real !!!!

Even if it restricts a LPB to 200 MS what about the poor HPB who has a normal 225, cept when a SNG goes off and it jumps to 1900, will the LPB suffer this too ..... (i think NOT)

right suck us in + blow us out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

: Is this something like pingspoof where u can enter the ping u want other ppl to see....

Its not a f*!king ping spoofer, i said that in the initial posting. I must check up on your "stalling" allegation, OL is the man to ask, he knows all about it. But it is NOT a ping spoofer, the proxy can ONLY handicap, its of no advantage.

: Is this something like pingspoof where u can enter the ping u want other ppl to see....

: A LPB's dream this one... Get real !!!!

: Even if it restricts a LPB to 200 MS what about the poor HPB who has a normal 225, cept when a SNG goes off and it jumps to 1900, will the LPB suffer this too ..... (i think NOT)

: right suck us in + blow us out....

Rookie I know this sounds dodgy but its actually a very real lag-maker in my opinion.
    Now i may be wrong and someone who knows can piont out if its still an advantage to the ex-LPB, maybe Hobbes might know?
    its made by FAQ and here is the link http://www.finnish.allied.quakers.org/proxy/
    As far as my experience of the lagmaker is concerned it seems to be exactly like on a modem. Ask Blade, Slaanesh or any of the other lads who I have played with it.

: If you look at the proxy you'll see that it has some features which i would calssify as very suspicious, such as auto-timing of item respawns, location info, near friend/foe counting, special team message modes.

: But my question is, how can you stop someone using it?

Hmmm...I didn't know that. Pretty cool really eh?
    I suppose that answers the question about whether or not they can be used. Z.

P.S. UL Masters League first game played :- http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dez/results.htm

• Advertisement

: If you look at the proxy you'll see that it has some features which i would calssify as very suspicious, such as auto-timing of item respawns, location info, near friend/foe counting, special team message modes.

: But my question is, how can you stop someone using it?

Well you wouldn't expect the poor LPB's to play with a ping proxy unless there was a few other nifty advantages now would you? :)

: : : Is this something like pingspoof where u can enter the ping u want other ppl to see....

: : Its not a f*!king ping spoofer, i said that in the initial posting. I must check up on your "stalling" allegation, OL is the man to ask, he knows all about it. But it is NOT a ping spoofer, the proxy can ONLY handicap, its of no advantage.

: So what do you intend to use it for? Letting LPB's play as HPB's in the league? I dunno if you'll get the LPB's to go along with that! To be honest here, I certainly wouldnt like it -
    : our pings here in UCG are unreliable enough as it is - in the game against you last weekend instead of the pings of 100 or so we should have had, we were getting minimum 200 and spikes up to 400 -
    : John even spiked up to 999 for a while! Not being a modemer I couldn't tell you how steady a connection modemers usually get, but I would assume that these proxies would allow a very steady connection
    : since you are working well inside the limits of your line. If so, you would need to set a fairly high ping to be the equivalent of a modemer even with a lower ping but which wavered slightly. As we all know, the
    : QW client reacts quite badly to an unstable pings, wheras its quite playable with a steady connection even up to very high pings...

: Dermot

Then why do ALL the top UK clans use this proxy? Something to do with the enhanced team message modes an english guy was telling me. Apparently you can bind a key to report your exact location on the map, after designating names to certain areas of course.

: Well you wouldn't expect the poor LPB's to play with a ping proxy unless there was a few other nifty advantages now would you? :)

Eh...I DIDNT know about any extra shiit on the proxy, if i did I wouldnt have openly asked about it.

: Now i may be wrong and someone who knows can piont out if its still an advantage to the ex-LPB, maybe Hobbes might know?

Fraid not. I do know there's a ping spoofer but as Zero said this isn't it. The other options sound really cool though! (Why don't us HPW's get those groovy options?), and it would make it a wee bit unfair :)

It sounds like a good idea otherwise. What I'd like to know would it keep the ping stable or would u's be looking at worse spikes?

Hobbes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

: Eh...I DIDNT know about any extra shiit on the proxy, if i did I wouldnt have openly asked about it.

You can't win Zero. Well actually if you bought a cheap 486 with 4megs of RAM and a 9200 baud modem maybe they'll start to warm to LP'ers :)

Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Alan

: : Now i may be wrong and someone who knows can piont out if its still an advantage to the ex-LPB, maybe Hobbes might know?

: Fraid not. I do know there's a ping spoofer but as Zero said this isn't it. The other options sound really cool though! (Why don't us HPW's get those groovy options?), and it would make it a wee bit unfair :)

: It sounds like a good idea otherwise. What I'd like to know would it keep the ping stable or would u's be looking at worse spikes?

: Hobbes.

You could use the proxy and just not add lag ?

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

: You could use the proxy and just not add lag ?
    : Alan

I think the point is that they want the lag to make it fair on the modem players. What I was wondering is if it spikes a lot for LP'ers does that mean it will spike on the Proxy, or by using the Proxy it will give a steady high ping?

Hobbes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Mouserat

: : Is this something like pingspoof where u can enter the ping u want other ppl to see....

: Its not a f*!king ping spoofer, i said that in the initial posting. I must check up on your "stalling" allegation, OL is the man to ask, he knows all about it. But it is NOT a ping spoofer, the proxy can ONLY handicap, its of no advantage.

So what do you intend to use it for? Letting LPB's play as HPB's in the league? I dunno if you'll get the LPB's to go along with that! To be honest here, I certainly wouldnt like it -
    our pings here in UCG are unreliable enough as it is - in the game against you last weekend instead of the pings of 100 or so we should have had, we were getting minimum 200 and spikes up to 400 -
    John even spiked up to 999 for a while! Not being a modemer I couldn't tell you how steady a connection modemers usually get, but I would assume that these proxies would allow a very steady connection
    since you are working well inside the limits of your line. If so, you would need to set a fairly high ping to be the equivalent of a modemer even with a lower ping but which wavered slightly. As we all know, the
    QW client reacts quite badly to an unstable pings, wheras its quite playable with a steady connection even up to very high pings...

Dermot

If you look at the proxy you'll see that it has some features which i would calssify as very suspicious, such as auto-timing of item respawns, location info, near friend/foe counting, special team message modes.

But my question is, how can you stop someone using it?

: : Well you wouldn't expect the poor LPB's to play with a ping proxy unless there was a few other nifty advantages now would you? :)

: Eh...I DIDNT know about any extra shiit on the proxy, if i did I wouldnt have openly asked about it.

I was only jokin' mister Z......;)

: Then why do ALL the top UK clans use this proxy? Something to do with the enhanced team message modes an english guy was telling me. Apparently you can bind a key to report your exact location on the map, after designating names to certain areas of course.

Sounds cool to me. If it's available to everyone then why not? It's the same thing as playing in the same room as your team and just shouting at them.

It's the same thing as playing in the same room as your team and just shouting at them.

*grin*

It's the same thing as playing in the same room as your team and just shouting at them.

*grin*

Advertisement