Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

osarusan wrote: »
    I hate stone wall cladding that has a mismatch of stones at horrible angles. Looks awful.

That would be so much nicer if real stone was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

PARlance wrote: »
    What is that... The stone cladding is horrendous but what is that wall supposed to be. A wine rack / storage unit / sink.
    It looks to me as part of the wine cellar.

Edit: It's not cellar but there are wine fridges on the right side so it's part of a shop, restaurant or similar. The sink is for wine tasting I would assume.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

:D

6F2D10F1-4902-44AC-B445-0900D97DDC96_zpsyf3nkkel.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Statues of Ex Top Gear presenters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

flazio wrote: »
    Lighting up the entire front wall of a house like it's some important landmark that needs to be seen in the dark.

Worse still are homes lit up with hundreds of outside bulbs at Christmas.
    What a waste of energy, and bad for the environment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

maryishere wrote: »
    What a waste of energy, and bad for the environment too.

Jaysus it's a temporary bit of seasonal cheer ya misery bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

lawred2 wrote: »
    Jaysus it's a temporary bit of seasonal cheer ya misery bags

Can have plenty of seasonal cheer without looking tacky, horrible and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

KKkitty wrote: »
    That would be so much nicer if real stone was used.
    Probably applies to every possible use of fake stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I have never heard of sparkle plaster walls, :eek: had to google... yup I'd say that's a bit OTT (but I'm a neutral pallete person :rolleyes: so what do I know about design!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kitchen/Dining table with miss matching chairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Garden bridges.
    They are always huge and because the person who bought them has gotten them half price in Woodies they haven't bothered to actually dig out a hole and fill a proper body of water under them so they end up being a bridge over a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Garden bridges.
    They are always huge and because the person who bought them has gotten them half price in Woodies they haven't bothered to actually dig out a hole and fill a proper body of water under them so they end up being a bridge over a puddle.

In this house ( rented) there is a real live stream through the garden ( where the water for the house comes from) and two bridges, of simple single planks. Dignified and practical.

What a waste of energy,

Love to see them especially in dark rural areas. Lovely sight.

Their choice. They pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can have plenty of seasonal cheer without looking tacky, horrible and cheap.

To be fair the majority of Christmas decorations would be considered tacky, horrible and cheap.
    None tacky decorations are essentially a candle in the window with Holly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Love to see them especially in dark rural areas. Lovely sight.

Their choice. They pay.
    I love seeing them myself but sadly, the last part of your post is far from true.

SVDP / the taxparyer usually end up stumping up for many of the massive electricity bills run up in the Christmas period. :mad:

Cheap PVC windows with plastic glue on strips to look like astragal bars..

Vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Passing the house I use to live in, it has a beautiful hardwood front door the people who purchased it have now painted it grey!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Chipping off all the plaster off the outside of an old house to expose the rubble stone, when the stone was never intended to be exposed originally.

Like what you'd see done to perfectly fine pubs to make them look more 'Olde Worlde'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Gardens which have old toilets, Belfast sinks or tyres filled with plants.
    Tacky with a capital T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Gardens which have old toilets, Belfast sinks or tyres filled with plants.
    Tacky with a capital T.

I like that :o
    Maybe not toilets though.

I have a belfast sink with plants. :cool:
    I grew a lovely crop of spuds in tyres too in the past.

Here, Princess Bride, have a lovely frog :D
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/9a/f7/c69af776c8384bd6a99dfd73a8ccb979.jpg

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I love seeing them myself but sadly, the last part of your post is far from true.

SVDP / the taxparyer usually end up stumping up for many of the massive electricity bills run up in the Christmas period. :mad:

One of my former neighbours one year covered his house with flashing blue lights. He lives on a very dark back lane and when I needed to be out before daylight, not having seen them before, I thought there must be an accident ahead..

He paid his own bills by the way

There was one house in deepest Donegal by a beach that was a wonderland each Christmas, well off.lady .

" Two men looking through prison bars.. One saw the mud the other the stars."

I like that :o
    Maybe not toilets though.

I have a belfast sink with plants. :cool:
    I grew a lovely crop of spuds in tyres too in the past.

Here, Princess Bride, have a lovely frog :D
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/9a/f7/c69af776c8384bd6a99dfd73a8ccb979.jpg

Thanks... there is a Belfast sink here in the garden and three tyres so as soon as the rain stops.. oh and an old bath that has been gipsy style painted... rolls sleeves up !

Huge rocks in the middle of the front garden as "features" ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Professional family photos with everyone posing , bonus points for everyone dressed in white.

Just...... Just

No

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

A big old style well in the front of the garden, round stone wall with a little roof and a bucket on a rope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I saw some home improvement show on RTE a couple of weeks ago and the owner was so obsessed with light that she insisted the architect leave an internal window from the bathroom to the diningroom so the light cold flow through. One of the architects was nearly sick at the thought of sitting down to your dinner and seeing someone on the toilet. It was an opaque window but still the stupidest thing I'd ever seen anyone do to their house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

....... wrote: »

You would see the outline of someone lining up for a pee when you would be diving into your plate of spuds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

what's the difference between opaque and frosted? :confused:

Advertisement