Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will brass be a thing of the past?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NevadaPod

I dunno....hard to believe that it's cheaper than brass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And I was thinking to myself "wtf do bras have to do with shooting, and how would they possibly ever be a thing of the past". I need more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Jesus. I never even got to reload brass yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I remember Voere in Austria tried something similar years ago with a caseless cartridge and electronic ignition. It was a small cartridge in the .223 sort of size. The propellant was moulded into the shape of the chamber with the bullet cast into it. I believe the cartridge had problems with swelling when it got damp. In the end it fell by the wayside, imho i think they were trying to develope it for military use.

Didn't remington try to do an electronic primer a few years back too ? Didn't catch on either.

I don't think brass will ever be a thing of the past, its such a simple and well developed concept, used in hundreds of millions of firearms all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Talk to Heckler & Koch about caseless ammo and the guns to go with it.They have/had an assault rifle ready to go into production.The G11.This gun looks like a rectangle of plastic,and wouldn't be out of place on a scene from Alien.
    However the one big problem with it is HEAT dissipation.As the gun is virtually self contained,it has no real way to vent off the massive heat build up. Kind of a biatch these days with thermal vision. and worse a couple of proto types exploded due to massive heat build up and cooking off the ammo.
    Apart from that it has a massive rate of fire out of a little 4.5 mm caseless round and is extremely reliable,but years ahead of its time with still a few glitches.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

gunny123 wrote: »
    I remember Voere in Austria tried something similar years ago with a caseless cartridge and electronic ignition. It was a small cartridge in the .223 sort of size. The propellant was moulded into the shape of the chamber with the bullet cast into it. I believe the cartridge had problems with swelling when it got damp. In the end it fell by the wayside, imho i think they were trying to develope it for military use.

Didn't remington try to do an electronic primer a few years back too ? Didn't catch on either.

I don't think brass will ever be a thing of the past, its such a simple and well developed concept, used in hundreds of millions of firearms all over the world.

The Voeres (not entirely sure if that was the maker, definitely a good quality European maker) were available in the '80's and I was really excited to see whether they would be available here at the time.

Forgotten weapons did a video on them, apparently the ammo is worth almost as much as the gun now.

OK a google brought up an article on the above. It was a Voere, as you correctly said, the VEC -91

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/09/caseless-wonder-vec-91/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Talk to Heckler & Koch about caseless ammo and the guns to go with it.They have/had an assault rifle ready to go into production.The G11.This gun looks like a rectangle of plastic,and wouldn't be out of place on a scene from Alien.
    However the one big problem with it is HEAT dissipation.As the gun is virtually self contained,it has no real way to vent off the massive heat build up. Kind of a biatch these days with thermal vision. and worse a couple of proto types exploded due to massive heat build up and cooking off the ammo.
    Apart from that it has a massive rate of fire out of a little 4.5 mm caseless round and is extremely reliable,but years ahead of its time with still a few glitches.

Have a look at the first 5mins of this Grizz, it explains all about the hk.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

If you want weird try googling the Dardick revolver which fired polymer trounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

sfakiaman wrote: »
    If you want weird try googling the Dardick revolver which fired polymer trounds.

THREE-sided, too! [Hence TRounds - triangular rounds] I have a couple in my collection. The pistol itself could be converted into a carbine, simply by inserting it into a carbine stock and barrel unit.

Another dead-end, like the amazing Gyro-jet, that fired/launched a .45cal miniature ROCKET!!!

tac

Even Daisey,who make BB guns got into this caseless lark.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNg6laaiWo

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'd almost forgotten having owned one for a short while back in the day. The real problem was the little propellant bit breaking off in your pocket - that's prolly what killed it off.

tac

Until electro magnetic rail guns become man portable sometime in the future,I think we are going to be using brass,and varients thereof for awhile yet.
    There even was a plastic ammo case in the 1980s that has been updated here
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/01/new-polycase-ammunition-and-injection-molded-bullets/

Advertisement